1st grow - All Fluoro - Cheap supplies under $30 total!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by HappySmoker420, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Hey GrowFlow - The odor was gettin noticable which why I moved the grow into the closet in the ferret's room. Yes, they have their own room - a 10x12 room. It has a nice size closet which I used the top shelf for the new grow-box/setup.

So I can barely smell the plants b/c of the ferrets now. Thanks for watching my grow :)

2. I use flor lighting for stealth and other reasons. The problem is you have to get them REALLY close to get proper growth, and you cant get all the areas of the plant close to the lights. They lose everything after about 6 inches. So try the SCROG method, its just alittle change, and it work Great using flor lights. There is a great post on this site, do what it says but use you lights instead, trying to keep the lights 2 or 3 inchs from plants at all times. It WORKs.

3. Damn, I posted before I looked at your pictures. They look pretty good, I never got those results with flor lighting without the SCROG mehtod. Very nice job.

4. Just read through the thread. Nice work bro...plants are looking good.

5. thanks guys - I'm very happy with the grow also. I was hoping for (1) female but ended up with (2) so that was a nice surprise. Nice to know you can grow some quality buds with only $30-40 or so. People say "only use MH or HPS" and "never use miracle grow" ...which is true in some regards but if you want to grow some decent plants and only spend $40 then CFL and fluoro are the way to go.

Lancir - Yea i have some burn marks on Monster from the CFL's being so close. Owell...

I'm going to regenerate Monster and/or BigGuy after harvest...I'm hoping to switch back to veg state and then get some clones from whichever looks stronger and maybe try the scrog method but definitely topping/trimming.

This is my first try so i'm just keeping it simple :) Man I can't wait till i chop off the top of Monster - lookin' so very tastey and smells delicious!!!

6. looking good man i cant wait to watch those buds get fat

7. thanks doob3r...i hope the buds get plump also. I wonder how much longer I have...I'm guessing 3 weeks...maybe 4.

8. hi happysmoker, great thread. Looking through the pics, it looks like you are consistently overwatering? My guess is that you are giving too little water too often, rather than letting the soil dry well then watering thouroughly?

9. Hey Chilli, I think you are right about the watering. Too little too frequently. I started to be able to judge the weight of the container at this point however. Before that I was giving each plant about 10oz of room temperature water every other day i'd say laced with about 25% strength bloom nutes.

I'm learnin' as i go here :)

10. your best bet on judging ripeness will be to look at the trichs, you can get an awsome pocket microscope with a led on it with 60-100x zoom for like 9.99
    i had to chop early and my bud isnt as strong as id like it to be. just listen to what the plants tell you. Im sure the buds will plump up in the later weeks of flowering

11. Got any pics coming man? I wanna see those juicy buds.:hello::D

peace

-Grow:smoke:

12. It's been 24 days since they showed sex...I was hoping they'd fill out more but a lot of the hairs are starting to turn brown already. About 30% of the hairs are now brown on Monster. About 20% brown on BigGuy.

So...not sure what to do but the plants look like they'll be prematurely ready for harest. Im gonna grab a microscope tonight if possible so i can look at the trichs. I flushed the other day after a small nute burn and then last night used 10% ratio of nutes in a spray bottle...let them dry for 2 hrs but they still got some water stains on them. Owell.

Wish the buds would be larger in size but then again I'm not too worried about it. I'll use a larger container next time around.

pictures below:

Monster
    Monster
    Monster

BigGuy
    BigGuy

Attached Files:

13. Ok, I'm confused...you are talking % of hairs like it matters...nothing matters but trichs...and with 24 days since sexing, you are about 30-40 days short of being done, so don't get discouraged about size of buds. I would however be careful with nutes...based upon the clawing of your leaves along with the super dark green color...

Also, IMO it's best to water in a flood/drought/flood/drought watering cycle...

just my 2 pennies...I'm not expert, just trying to help another noob with problems I've seen on my own grows no more than a few weeks ago.

14. Alright so i got greedy/impatient tonight.

I snipped a small bud off the inner side of Monster. It's about the size of a bottle cap. I stuck her in the oven at 175 F for 10 minutes and I put the bud inside a shot glass standing up so it wouldn't burn as easy. I then put her in a glass jar and put it on top of the water heater overnight. Depending on the crispness I might wake up and put it in the oven for a few more mins and then *SAMPLE*

I'm not expecting much but i examined the bud with a small magnifying glass and it looks pretty yummy.

pictures-

Ferrets
    Right after clipping with bottle cap for size
    Into the jar after the oven
    after a few hours in the jar. Stem tightened up and is about to break.

Attached Files:

15. Haha Mystic, thanks. Yea that's the way my watering cycle has gone in flowering - I wait till i see the fan leaves starting to droop then blast em' with 2 Liters of water and then they look great the next day.

From what I understand the white hairs turning 80% amber/brown usually coincides with the trichs are ready as well. I would honestly be amazed if I can drag out flowering for another 30 days. Just from getting to know the plants and reading them, i'd guess 2 more weeks for a total of 6 weeks flowering.

I won't get impatient with harvesting the rest of the plants however...

16. I'll still get that microscope but I did use a small eyebrow magnifying glass to take some pictures. I held it up to the camera and took some pictures of the bud I clipped.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

17. nice high-resolution picture of the bud i clipped again. Mmm i love being impatient

Attached Files:

18. dont care about maximum yield wtf? whats the point of growing then if you get popped for plants with a gram or a ounce your still in deep shit

19. Thanks for stopping by killa - By the way, i didn't mention it, I'm NOT 16 and living with my parents growing these plants tucked away in my closet. I have plenty of privacy and encouragment and plus the whole "theme" of my thread here is growing cheap and for personal use. That means no HPS and only 1 or 2 plants.

I'll do a better job the next time around, if there is one. I'd use more lights and LST, trimming, etc.

And, no, you don't get in deep shit(with a judge) for growing a plant or two for personal use.

20. Just a small update with pictures - Plants are looking great. Monster's trich's are looking like their getting close to harvest under the microscope. BigGuy is about a week behind. I'm thinking about chopping the top of Monster off within the next 7-10 days to start regeneration process.

Pictures-
    first 3 pictures are monster
    last 3 pictures are bigguy

Attached Files: