1st Grow: A little help please? :)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by lemmiwinks, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to check out the thread.
    This is my 1st "real" indoor grow and wanted to share my setup and ask a couple of questions.

Setup
    - Secret Jardin Darkroom (1x1x2 meters)
    - 600W HPS (Philips Son-t Agro bulb) with Cooltube
    - 400m3 extractor with carbon filter
    - Soil (Plagron Light Mix w/Perlite for seedlings, Canna Grow for adults)
    - Scrog Net (as I'm planning on doing SCROG)

The grow is from 5 feminized Super Lemon Haze seeds.
    3 out of 5 seeds had germinated this morning (within 24 hours), waiting for the other two and then I'll plant them in a plastic cup filled with Plagron Light Mix w/Perlite soil.
    This is where the first question comes in:
    I was supposed to receive two 55W Grow neon tubes but didn't so I'm stuck without "proper" lighting for the first few days of the seedlings.
    Considering I have a 400W Philips Son-t Agro bulb inside a Cooltube, could I use that or would the plants stretch too much?
    Keeping in mind I then want to go for SCROG, so I presume I need to keep the plants as low as possible.
    Should I just invest the extra 50 euros or whatever and get a couple of 6500K CFs?
    Just for the first week maybe, then switch to the HPS? Or could I use HPS from the start?

Thanks!

2. You can use your HID light for your sprouts but it's pretty touchy. Too high and they'll stretch - too low and they'll fry. If you're going to try it with the hps, then start it out at 1 meter minimum from your plants and work it down gradually over many days. In the end, I'd feel more comfortable starting them out with a few cfl's. GL!

3. Thanks johnk, I'll go to the local hardware store and see if I can find any decent CFs in the right spectrum.

Question #2 :)
    I'm unsure of how to rig the extractor/cooltube/charcoal filter setup.
    In my head it would be something like this:
    Carbon filter as high as possible in a corner
    connected with duct pipe to Cooltube
    other end of cooltube connected to duct pipe connected to extractor fan
    extractor fan blowing out one of the exhaust holes in the growtent, either directly or with a duct pipe once again

Is that correct or am I an idiot?

4. You're correct. That's how to hook it up! GL!