1st Grow, 2nd Try CFL's... Help Appreciated

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by stonedguy420, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Here's an update for ya. As you can see they loved the small dose of ferts as I described in the last post. Still no signs of sex although I am keeping an eye out. It is killing me to have to go 12 hours w/o looking at them everyday. Especially since I am doing their night time during my days (just works out better.) I sure hope they are female because the LST has given them plenty of potential tops/budsites. The camera flash made some of the leaves look lighter then the rest but its just the flash. The pics are two of plant 1 then two of plant 2 from the side and top views. How's it looking? :wave:

Attached Files:

2. looking nice, hope mine look like that at day 25! iv got CFL's aswell so been following this thread closely, only i have 2 150Watters in a reflective hood instead of lots of loose ones, think it shud have the same sort of effect though, i have my lights alot further away than you do on yours though, theyr in day 5 of 18/6 whats the closest i can put the lights to the plants? check my grow journal for pics, yours are lookin sexy though!

3. Lookin' good. I hope they are female. I will keep my fingers crossed....:smoke:

4. Its been a while since I have updated, been really busy. I can't take pics until tonight when the lights turn on, so I thought I would just update everyone while I smoke a joint. :smoking:

I've got some bad news, I am about 99% sure that plant 1 (my old favorite) is male. It grew what I would call textbook male features. I am going to chop him down tonight :( It breaks my heart. So it is all riding on plant 2, which has not shown any signs of sex as of yesterday. I think its been about 10 days of 12/12 now so I should find out about plant 2 soon. Wish me luck, cuz I am getting nervous as hell. I'll post some pics later. peace

5. Well I cut down the male :( Like everyone else says, it is REALLY hard to kill something you put so much into. I snapped a few pics of it to show anyone who still doesn't know what a male looks like. It sucks that it was a male because that was the best growing and looking plant of the 2.

Now all hope lies in plant 2... It is taking a really long time to flower so I am hoping its a female. Hopefully it will show soon. I guess if I had to take something positive out of this it would be that now plant 2 has 208 watts of multiple spectrum CFLs all to itself. I am sure it will enjoy 'em. I am going to water then with the Fox Farm nutes in a weaker than suggested dose tomorrow. The first 3 pics are plant 1 and the last 2 pics are plant 2.. hopefully getting ready to show me some pistils. What do ya think?

Attached Files:

6. Sorry to hear about the male. That sucks. That's what happened in my first grow. I only had the one little crazy thing and it was male. It pissed me off because I put so much effort into it. It makes me laugh now when I think about how upset I was.

Any signs on the 2nd one? You haven't updated in a couple days. :wave:

7. Yeah males are a bummer... Still absolutely no sign of sex on the second one. When the lights turn on tonight I am going to transplant it into a 5 gallon bucket. It is taking so long to flower. Its now day 14 of 12/12. Hopefully I will see something soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a girl.:hello:

8. Hey guys :wave:

Well it now has been 2 weeks and 2 days of 12/12, with one of two plants eliminated because it grew balls. Plant 2 was transplanted into a 5 gallon pot of Fox Farm soil 2 days ago and it has grown quite a bit since then. I can't believe it still has not shown any sex! Is there any reason for this? Do some strains just take a LONG LONG time to flower? Hopefully this plant will be showing pistils soon, that would be great great news.... Everything seems to be going well, especially since the 1.25 gallon to 5 gallon pot transplant. What do you think? Any reasons why it hasnt shown sex by now? Thanks to anyone who replies.

-stonedguy420

Attached Files:

9. Are you sure you have no light leaks? Some strains take longer but i would make sure you have no leaks...

10. Yeah, I am sure there are no light leaks. During their dark period I keep the closet door in a semi-dark room closed and locked. Then inside the closet they are kept behind a wall of cardboard. Its always pitch black. I am going crazy having to wait so long to find out their sex! I had no idea it could even take this long. What is the longest anyone else has heard of a plant going 12/12 without flowering?

11. How thick is that cardboard?
    Indirect sunlight can blast through 1/8 inch of wood or more easily, producing a red glow on the other side.

Also check your timer. Did you RTFM on the timer and the CFLs?
    Fluros and CFLs are NOT compatible with most timers, unless you have one with a relay.
    It has something to do with harmonics/resonance and feedback.
    I killed 5 different timers with my fluro/CFL combo and now I'm controlling the photoperiod by hand!
    If you must use a timer, get one that has a relay, and yes they are expensive.

12. My K-2 took about 2 weeks to show the pistils.. All the males showed there sex in 3-4 days.So I would have to say you prob have females!

13. Thanks for the comments!

Woo hoo! Plant 2 is def. a female! I had suspected this when it didn't show sex forever, then over the last week it SLOWLY put its first pistils out. I just got back home after 2 days so I can't look at it until tonight, but when I left only 2 nodes on the whole plant had pistils. The plant, that I will now call Cindy since it is a lady, has grown a TON since the last pics that I posted. I will post more tonight when the lights come on.

urgr8estfear- The cardboard isnt very thick, but it also has reflective emergency blanket taped on it. I also have been putting a sheet over it to help keep it dark and I also tacked a black sheet up over the door, which blocks even more light out from tiny cracks around the door. As far as the timer's concerned I mostly just use the timer for the ease of it and for when I am away from home and so far it keeps time fine. I always know when its going to go off and on and it stays consistent.

I will take some pics later to show how much they've grown and maybe show the pistils if I can.

14. Congrats man! +rep

Gotta love them females:)

15. Nice grow... Congratulations on a female.. would have sucked if you had 2 males.. Good luck with the female.. treat her nicely and she will reward you with sweet euphoric buds. I'm currently on my first grow using cfls too.
    I read that it took you a really long time to see signs of preflowers. Well for future reference I read that putting plants in 36 hours of uninterrupted darkness before puttin them in 12/12 it will preflower faster. How long were they in veg for. Mine naturally started showing preflowers from days 39-42.

Anyways good luck on your grow...
    Here's a link to my journal if u wanna check out my cfl grow. I am currently in flowering. Got 2 Cali-Oranges and 5 White rhino's.

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-jou...cali-orange-pics-will-posted.html#post1411185

HAPPY GR:smoking:WING

16. So.... it has now almost been 4 weeks of 12/12 and while I finally have some signs of sex, my plant will not start fully flowering. I am getting really frustrated because I am running out of time. I never thought in a million years that after 4 weeks of 12/12 I would have no buds and only like 4 pistils on the whole plant. There are only a few reasons I can think of for my plants disregard to 12/12.....

1. Perhaps plants with a large amount of nitrogen in their soil can sustain vegitative growth w/o more than 12 hours of light. When I transplanted the plant into a 5 gallon bucket, I used FF soil, which I have been told has a high concentration of nitrogen. I have used bloom ferts since I started 12/12, but I have never used more than 1/3-1/2 strength. Tomorrow I am going to water with full strength bloom ferts to see if it will help.

2. The plant grows at very fast rates even though it only is getting only 12 hours of light a day. I have read that in winter the shortest day of the year is like 9 hours. Perhaps the plant would get the damn hint that it needs to flower if I cut its light period to something like 10/14? Seems like only 10 hours of light would make the plant realize that its running out of time to flower and it needs to do what it is MADE to do.

Thats all I've got. Some may say that perhaps it is light leaks or a matter of it not being dark enough, but I think the only way I could make it darker in there during the dark period is to do something crazy like reinforce shit with steel or something.... So in other words, its not a matter of interrupted light periods...... I am just getting frustrated with the whole situation... Why can't my plant just flower like its supposed to?

Anyways, sorry for the rant, but I want to see if anyone has some ideas to kick my plant into flowering. The pics are below, the third one was the best shot I could get of a pistil.

Let me know what you think, I am gonna go smoke a bowl and dream of a plant that has buds....

-stonedguy420

Edit: Hey guys, I forgot to mention one more thing. I added in a 40 watt 2700k bulb today. This brings the total wattage of CFLs on Cindy to 248 watts of various spectrums (listed at the beginning)

Attached Files:

17. Lookin' good....despite the not showing sex yet. I will keep checking in. I wonder what the deal is too. I hope I don't have the same problem. Good luck!:wave:

18. Your plant is beautiful! Im so glad you got the female you were hoping for!!

19. Well still nothing that even looks remotely like a bud. I am getting very frustrated with this damn plant and I think if it does not start flowering soon I am going to just chop it. Of all the grow journals I have read I have never seen a plant be such a bitch as mine. Most plants that have been under 12/12 for over 4 weeks have well formed buds and at the VERY least has started to form flowers.... mine has pre-flowers and doesnt shoot out anymore pistils. I am going to lower the light period from 12/12 to 11/13 to see if maybe that will make it flower. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is wrong. Here are some new pics.... The first one is a better shot of the node with the most pistils on it, which is just 4 v's of pistils. The second pic shows one of the many tops that should look like a bud, but instead just has f*ing new leaves coming out and no pistils. I hope that in the next few days something happens... if not I will pretty much be out of time to get anything worth keeping the plant so I will chop it down.:mad: Any ideas to FORCE this thing to flower?

Attached Files:

20. Hey buddy, I just saw your sick plants thread and wanted to drop in. By now they should have buds because this looks like an indica sativa mix. If it were pure sativa I would say ok, maybe give more time but it is not, so I don't know. You could try 11/13 but quite frankly, every strain I know of and many I don't should flower with 12/12. So, you are sure it is dark in there and you are sure the timer is turning off on time? You have not been pruning have you? I would stop all pruning and transplanting now to make sure all its energy goes to flowering. Just to make sure, what is the range of temperatures in the room? The plant looks beautiful, it would be a shame to chop her especially since you're first grow did not go well. I am sorry this is happening to you stonedguy420, you deserve some good weed. Just keep her going for a while longer and good luck.