1st Grow, 1st post looking for training advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SmokeIdo, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I've read tons of information on this site thats helped me with starting my first grow but I think I've already messed it up. I built a little PC grow box with 4 26watt 6500k CFL's, 2 fans, and a stand I'm going to use for SCROG. Im using Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil.

I have 1 plant in there now and 5 days ago I decided to try to LST and stuck a piece of metal in the soil to hold the plant down after the second set of branches. I was hoping this would help get a new branch to grow out of the stem but that hasnt happened. The outside of the stem cracked open after the first day but nothing grew. Now the leaves up top are too long and the stem isnt getting much light. I took the metal hook out of the soil today.

Does anybody have any advice for a newb as to what to do next? Should I put the metal hook back in and just hope the stem branches out more? Or trim the top? Other suggestions?Also does it look good for a 4 week old plant? She's about 2-3 inches high now because of the LST but she would be about 4-5in.

Attached Files:

2. :wave: anybody out there? even if you tell me i totally fucked up and start over thats cool just looking for any advice from someone whos done it a few times cuz i dont know what the hell im doing

3. well imo, you've compromised the integrity of the main stem, idk if its worth it try to to nurse it back with all the growth halting. to me the seedling looks about 2 weeks old maybe a little less. I would say scrap it and start again. Im not too familiar with the SCROG method, but I would advide only bending the stem after 3 weeks, or after a solid root foundation is in place. and since its a pc grow, did u consider topping, rather than SCROG screen?

4. im no expert and i dont use scrog but it looks like you are trying to lst that plant a little bit too early. please someone correct me if i am wrong, but i think you need to wait till it grows a bit more before trying it. how old is your baby?

and if you think you are going to scrog is a pc box, i would reconsider, because once it gets through the screen, it needs ample room to grow.

just my 2 cents though, im 5 weeks into flowering for my first grow. did a sog setup

5. actually that may be a little older than two weeks judging by its size, but still, im sure uve noticed stunted growth, i still just say plant a few more.

6. hey an, just took a look at your grow, do you remember at what height you but them into flowering?

7. I agree plant 1 or two more plants (just to make sure you get a female at least). You tried to LST a little early but that plant should be fine. Let it grow and add one or two more seeds in there.You want your cfls about 2 inches away from the plant for better light intensity and quicker growth (light intensity speeds growth and makes bud denser and is extremely important when using cfl because it is already lacking).

8. Thanks everyone for the replies! Now at least I know im not alone in thinking I started LST too early.

She was a very slow grower. I had 2 plants in there and she was much smaller by far. My other plant died because the fan fell on it :eek: This one started sprouting on Dec 23...I thought she looked small for almost 4 weeks. She has started to recover slightly since I removed the metal hook holding the stem down.

9. I saw a few people do a scrog in a PC box but I think you're right I may not have enough room. Theres probably only 2 inches of space between my screen and the lights. I think I'm going to scrap doing scrog and stick with LST...if she recovers

10. i put my babies into flowering at 12'' to 18''