1st Grow 156w CFL-Soil Rubbermaid Bin!!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by nomel90, Jun 6, 2009.

1. #1 nomel90, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009

My Grow story continues below but for now here is the most recent picture of my growbox, and more importantly the plant itself;

The picture of the grow box was taken 25 days From Sprout and the picture of
    the plant was taken when it was 6 Weeks, 5 Days old. (Day 3 of Flowering)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:smoking: ... Ok Folks,

Grow Area
    2x 35gal Rubbermaid Containers Stacked and hooked together.

Lights
    2x 20w 6500k Floro-Tubes
    6x 26w 2700k CFL's
    2x 26w 6500k CFL's
    2x 42w 2700k Big CFL's

So I've got 92w 6200k, and 240w 2700k for a total of 332w.

Nutes
    Bone Meal and Blood Meal mixed into my medium, molasses in veg [experiment], and molasses in flower.

Growing Medium
    Days 1-7: Walmart Topsoil mixed with Perlite

Days 7-Present: MG Organic Choice (.10-.5-.5) [does not contain time release nutes, only organic nutes -- does not cause nute burn, read; Dankohzee's Ultimate Seed-Starting Mix], MG Organic choice is composed of mostly Sphagnum Peat moss, it has a little bit of Chicken litter and perlite mixed in.

My exact mix calls for 50/50 mix of MG Organic Choice and Perlite + 1 TSP Bone Meal, and 2 TSP Blood Meal mixed into the top 2-5" of medium.

Pots
    Standard 3 gallon pot from sprout.

Intake/Exhaust
    Exhaust: 2x 120mm Scythe Slipstream fans (88.11 CFM each) pushing out a custom built light trap exhaust

Intake: 6" circle cut out with a flex pipe light trap added

Light Schedule
    Was 18/6 then switched to 20/4 after 5 or so days from sprout.

Misc; 1 4" fan blowing upwards towards the exhaust, and 1 12" (650 CFM) Uber-Fan blowing the heat away from the lights/plant (skims the leaves and makes them move a little, but not too bad -- sure does take the heat away though)

Buds
    Indica bagseed

Now just spark up a jay, sit back and sift through this awesome journal.
    And... here we go,

Couple weeks ago I picked up a really seedy ounce of mids for $110 and found just two seeds out of 50+/- with 'tiger stripes' on them, germinated them using the paper towel method.

Here are the 2 seedlings on Day 1 (June 1st) of sprouting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was surprised to actually see them sprout, I was talking to my friend on the phone at the time I looked in the pot and just screamed HOLY SHIT. They sprouted literally like ~36 hours after I planted them from germination.

My setup at the time consisted of 3x GE 26w 6500k Daylight CFL's, and just plain topsoil mixed with perlite. I was watering them with Distillata distilled water.

Here are the 2 seedlings on Day 3 (June 3rd) since sprouting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realized that two plants in one pot would be a bad idea so for some reason (I was totally ripped at the time) I tried to transplant the biggest one into a cup full of the same topsoil mix. It looked great for a while but later died from transplant shock I assume. I did it very, very carefully too...

On day 2 I added another lamp (just a basic lamp from Walmart with a Y-Splitter from Lowes) and put 2 more 26w CFL's in the mix. Thats a total of 130w. I also added a small blower/fan thing inside the bin to move the air around a bit.

Still watering with the same water.

Day 5 (June 5th) from sprout,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics I just took before this post Day 6 from sprouting (2:20 AM):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've read all that I can on here and I'm asking anyone to give me advice because I know anything can help me on my first 'real' grow op.

Lemme know what you guys think!!! :hello:

PS: Sorry for the crappy out-of-focus 3.2mp phone pictures :(

2. #2 nomel90, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2009
    I plan on purchasing another identical bin and putting it on top of the one I'm using now, and put 2 pins on each side thru holes drilled out to keep it from toppling over. I'll do this once she gets big enough to need the extra room. Right now the CFL's are 2~3" away from her when the lids closed.

I also plan to replant her in the middle of the pot once I know for sure I wont hurt any of the roots when they are small/fragile.

Advice?

3. Shouldnt be using nutes in the first 14 days of life cycle. Otherwise looks like your doing fairly well.
    Also, what colour temperature are the CFLs you are using? If you have not you should search 'Kamel CFL' and his guide will show up. It is a very good read.

Good luck

4. Yes I've read Kamels guide, my lights are 26w GE 6500k Color temp, Daylight... I didn't know that about the nutes so do you think she will be okay with 1/4 teaspoon mixed into 2 quarts of 12-4-8 (but I only used 1 quart to water her). Thanks for the advice.

5. So does anyone know if the nutes will hurt anything this early in the cycle?

6. you'll be fine. just wait. if you want to give it good nutrients early on, make a worm casting tea. i'd just wait an extra 2 or three waterings to feed them again.

7. #7 nomel90, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
    Alright thanks for the good news about the nutes.

The 2nd set of leaves is coming in really fast but its shade of green is much lighter than the bigger leaves, is this normal? (cant really tell in these pics but under the CFLs the top leaves look way lighter)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures were taken 10min ago

8. Lookin good so far.

9. thanks yeah so far its turning out great :cool:

10. Ok guys I've got a question, should I mist the plant/top layer of soil with a spray bottle when it gets dry every couple hours? Would this be ok?

11. #11 light green, Jun 6, 2009
    don't mist the soil, let it completely dry out. why not just hang a wet beach towel in your grow room to raise humidity?

and also, add some soil. put it up to the leaves.

you are freakin' out dude. haha. just put the lights close, water when the soil gets dry, when you have 5 bladed leaves, feed it. then feed it every 3-4 waterings. let it grow half the size you want it to be, switch to flowering. just make sure the PH is in check. because that's where i fucked up the first time i grew.

12. #12 nomel90, Jun 6, 2009
    are the nutes I bought OK to use or should I find a way to get other nutes?

I just ordered an electronic soil ph tester and got the 6.5 solution from my pet store

13. they're fine for your vegging. if you can though. i HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend going to a hydro shop like worms way and picking up the "technaflora starters box" it's a box full of nutes, seed - harvest including clone gel. 32.00. can't beat it.

there's one in erlanger kentucky that's easy to get to, but it will probably be a few hours from where you are ( i remember the area you live in from an older thread)

14. I found a great deal on 3 different fox farm nutes for 39.99 is that a good deal?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Farm-Soil-Nutrient-Trio/dp/B000HY2IXQ]Amazon.com: Fox Farm Soil Nutrient Trio - Quarts: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

15. yeah it's fine.

not as good as this for the price, but fox farm's quality is unsurpassed

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Recipe-for-Success-Starter-Kit/dp/B0001XGP32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1244326997&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Recipe for Success Starter Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

16. #16 nomel90, Jun 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2009
    yeah thats definately a nice deal, thanks

edit; when do you guys think it'll be safe enough to transplant her to the middle of the pot (shes on the side of the pot because I foolishly planted many seeds in the same pot and only this one made it.

17. no problem, amazon doesn't show everything it has, but it has bc grow, boost, and bloom, awesome blossoms, like three things of thrive alive b1, rootech cloning gel, sugar daddy, and magical. there might be one more but i've been smoking weed for the past hour on your grow journal just refreshing the page. lol.

18. lmfao me 2 :smoking: i got some watermelon juicy jays the other day

19. #19 light green, Jun 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2009
    4 days, 6 hours 27 minutes and 19 seconds.

just kidding. i wait until they're about 5 inches tall before i put them in their final place.

and watermellon is the shit.

but i personally like the kiwi whatever juicys. they are so TASTY.

and before she's too big why don't you give her a friend?

20. Well I want this pot to be just for her. I've got 6 seeds germinating, waiting on 4 more to sprout. These 10 seeds are for my outdoor op.