1St Cfl Stealth Closet Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Kfreeze7, Sep 23, 2014.

1. #1 Kfreeze7, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
    Hey all. Newbie farmer here. 1st time experimenting with this and would love any and all helpful advice/comments.  

Materials:

1 30gallon Rubbermaid tote 29.25 x 19.5 x 16.6
    2 40w 6500k CFLs 2800 lumens x 2 = 5600 lms
    2 40w 2700k CFLs 2600 lumens x 2 = 5200 lms
    12vDC 4" PC exhaust fan 3000rpm 85cfm
    Small pc fan also exhaust, debating on removing this (ideas on covering the abandoned area up ie..light proof/smell proof.)
    Reflective automotive sun shade
    [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Y splitters[/SIZE]
    Black Guerilla tape
    Small desk fan for circulation
    Temp/Humidity Monitor

MG Seed Starting Potting Mix (yeah yeah)
    Fox Farm Ocean Forest 
    Fox Farms Trio Nutes
    Espoma Organic Perlite 
    PH up/PH down test kit

To Do's:
    I plan to add another rubbermaid tote on top of my current setup and to run the lights solely in that tote. There will be a pulley system for the lights so i can raise/lower them to necessary heights. I put this together relatively quick so the reflective material is not laid out to my liking atm. Plan to add 2 passive intakes at the bottom left of the box. 

Currently have 2 bagseed grows going. The seeds are from Maui Waui out of a dispensary in Colorado.
    High hopes they are fem!! I know this strain is a pure sativa and can grow many many feet tall, however I plan on LST and possibly topping them for real estate reasons. Can't have them growing into my ceiling, sadly :X 

My babies...MW1 and MW2. MW1 is 11 days old/MW2 is 5 days old. 
    Pics to follow. 

2. MW1 had some ph issues early on, the water i was using was very acid, so there is some browning on the 1st set of leaves. However, the new growth looks very promising.  MW2 had a cracked coty when sprouted from seed and ended up falling off. Can get close ups of leaves/plant upon request. Cheers :D

3. Fox Farms Trio are in route, as well as Espoma Organic Perlite.  Very interested in auto, so waiting for attitude seeds order...shiped out today. 

2x Buddah Seeds Purple Kush auto
    2x Paradise Seeds Auto Wappa
    1x Dinafem Blue Cheese auto
    1x CH9 Female Seeds Aroma (freebie)
    1x Humboldt Seeds Organization Lemon Kush Headband (freebie)

I was charged extra in my order, so they are planning to add extra freebies in the next order, woot!

Debating on 2gal or 3gal smart pots...opinions??

4. #4 Kfreeze7, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    MW1 is very short and bushy for day 12. The stem seems to be on the weaker side and is starting to bend due to the heaviness of the leaves. I currently have a skewer holding it up so it doesn't topple over...tips for strengthening stems or holding it up for the remainder of it's life???

5. If that little girl is really a Maui Waui you may want to consider switching your lights to a 12/12 cycle right away. She'll be a stretcher and by the looks of it, you don't have much vertical space to work with.

Also, chances are, that the seed you found will be a female seed...godd luck..SW

6. Correct the vertical space is quite limited until I get the expansion chamber added on (2nd tote) which should be within the next few days/week. Im concerned with flipping to 12/12 only because of the 6 day old seedling ,will this have any adverse affects on the little lady? I plan to lst, not sure about topping yet and scrog seems doable on my small scale..

7. I didn't realize you were expanding vertically. You could let them go a little longer. If they start to get to tall in flower you could always bend and tie tops down or just cut them back a little.

8. #8 Kfreeze7, Sep 24, 2014
    MW1 Veg Day 3

9. I'd recommend gettting those babies transplanted to bigger containers so their roots can spread out.

10. Will do, perlite and fox farms trio just arrived this morning. Going to mix up my FFOF/perlite in a 3:1 and plant in 1 gal smart pot..I don't expect major yields this time around, due to my small setup but should I grab some 2 gal/3 gal pots as well?

11. As far as pot size goes, the bigger the better. Also, not sure if youv'e ever used FFOF, but its pretty hot stuff. Cutting it with perlite is a good idea to tame it a little. Would recommend not feeding for a while, maybe wait til the lower leaves start to slightly fade to yellow. Just my two cents though...SW

12. I have not, first timer for everything here hah.. Won't feed nutes for a couple weeks due to the hot soil...will post pics after transplant, thanks for tips! Cheers

13. #13 Kfreeze7, Sep 24, 2014
    Transplant complete, water was about 6.2 ph. Used approx 3:1 Ffof/perlite..Stem seems very weak, any suggestions on that..few pics (sorry for shit quality, using iphone)

Day 13 MW1..Day 7 MW2 

14. #14 sisterwilliam, Sep 24, 2014
    Something's funny going on. Lower leaves shouldn't be yellowing and the rest of the leaves are looking like the plant is stressed out. My guess would be that they're overwatered. Make sure the soil is pretty dry before you water. Over watering and over feeding are the most common mistakes new growers make. Also make sure those CFL's are close to the plants, maybe 4-5 inches away. But make sure the plants aren't getting too hot from the lights.

I like that you are using smart pots to grow in, as they allow more air to the roots...good work..SW

And also if the pH of your tap water isn't extreme, don't bother with the pain in the ass of checking and adjusting, your soil will do all of that for you. What is your water source??

15. I believe the yellowing on the lower 1st set of leaves is due to ph fluctuations from the start of the grow. I was using bottled water for about the first week. I was unaware of how acidic it was, tested it when I got my ph kit..3.5-4.5.. I am currently using tap water, after leaving it to de-chlorinate for 24 hours. 

As for over watering I do believe I have done this on multiple occasions, this part was tricky for me. I am now letting it dry completely before re watering. 

CFLs are about 2-3 inches from the plants. I am able to stick my hand between top of plant and lights and not feel much heat at all. 

16. What's th pH of the water you're using now.

Happy to hear you're de-chlorinating. Are you using an airstone and bubbling it?? Or letting sit out?

17. Ph of water for the past 6 days has been between 6.0-6.9.

Simply letting the gallons of water sit out in an open container for 24hrs. 

18. pH is close enough to not worry about adjusting it for waterings. FFOF has oyster shell flour to keep pH in check.

I would recommend buying an aquarium air pump and air stone to bubble the water. This will disapate the chlorine faster and oxygenate the water,

And out of the FF trio you bought, maybe think about leaning heavily on the Big Bloom, it's the only thing in their line thats organic. and it works pretty well. It'll also be harder to burn your plants by using too much. Final product will also taste better...just my opinion...

Good work! 

19. Looks like you might need an oscillating fan in there. Helps with trunk strength. Looks great tho! Had yellowing probs at first also. Then I made my own soil mix with perlite peat moss and neutless soil. So when I feed I know they only get what I give.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. The 1st leaves are more of a rust/yellowish color...will these eventually just fall off? should i trim them? Will post pics soon to see how we adjusted to the transplant 

Thanks! Going to sub to you...awesome stuff you have going on over there. Wish I had the space for that. Live at home..parents know, and allow just nothing bigger than what I got hah...Moving out soonish..

What kind of seeds ya working with?