1rst hydro grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by xDEBOYx, Mar 24, 2012.

1. #1 xDEBOYx, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
    I'm still have a few things to get before I am totally ready.. Mainly a tds meter.. But had a few questions.

My set up is a 600w for budding. I have fox farm fert. Running a 18 gal res with air stone. I'll attach a pic to show the set up. It's home made so don't laugh to much.. Lol. I'm gonna use another tote to veg with some floros. I'll have a air stone in that as well. I would like to know how often should I run the water timer in my rail set up? I was thinking like 15 on 45 off. Also what should my ppm be. From what I read I need them around 250 during clone and start veg. Then up to say 500-600ppm in veg and 1500 during flower.. Is that sounding about right

ForumRunner_20120324_121354.png

ForumRunner_20120324_121415.png

Been in soil for a couple years. Want to switch over with few issues as possible..

2. nice setup looks like aero or nft

the only time to worry about ppm is during the final stretch of flower

3. Thanks for some info

4. :Bump: More info would be great.

5. #5 phill2o12, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
    erm..... yea i wud get more info because u shud take great care with ur ppm at ALL stages especially young clones nd seedlings thats what i'v come to believe :)

6. [quote name='"phill2o12"']erm..... yea i wud get more info because u shud take great care with ur ppm at ALL stages especially young clones nd seedlings thats what i'v come to believe :)[/quote]

I thought the same thing.. Wonder if i can just use the fox farm sheet i have. It shows some ppm. Just not sure if its enuff or to much...

7. your PH will tell you what your plants are looking for..

if the PH will climb if your plants want more nutes
    the PH will fall if you have too many nutes...

so watch the PH... trial and error

interesting design... there looks like there is some sag in the middle... might wanna brace that before you have over 16 pounds of plants and nutes in there.... i'd had to see a complete collapse mid grow, but i love the design... I would have put them in a square and put a cool tube vertical threw the middle... kinda like this just on a smaller scale

8. i would start at 1/4 or 1/2 of the recommended strength if ur goin to use the fox farm sheet.from readin and personal experience company's tend to say to use a way too strong mixture.
    encouragin you to use more in a shorter time = u buy more of there product.
    and listen to tihspeed he'l offer more precise advice than me, i'm just a newb learning from the likes of tihspeed :)

9. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']your PH will tell you what your plants are looking for..

if the PH will climb if your plants want more nutes
    the PH will fall if you have too many nutes...

so watch the PH... trial and error

interesting design... there looks like there is some sag in the middle... might wanna brace that before you have over 16 pounds of plants and nutes in there.... i'd had to see a complete collapse mid grow, but i love the design... I would have put them in a square and put a cool tube vertical threw the middle... kinda like this just on a smaller scale[/quote]

Hey thanks. I noticed the sag too. :) took care of that. Lol. Im still running my system in test stage. Making sure i dont have any leaks. Found some and had to go back and reseal some thing and added some. I still have to wait before i can put any plants in it. I have to wait for my moms to get a get going. They are still baby clones. Lol. Have some to harvest in a month or less then 8 more to go after that. Dont have a lot of room. Ill get pics later. Ill for sure keep a eye out for ph.

10. [quote name='"phill2o12"']i would start at 1/4 or 1/2 of the recommended strength if ur goin to use the fox farm sheet.from readin and personal experience company's tend to say to use a way too strong mixture.
    encouragin you to use more in a shorter time = u buy more of there product.
    and listen to tihspeed he'l offer more precise advice than me, i'm just a newb learning from the likes of tihspeed :)[/quote]

Ive been using ff for awhile in soil. Like it. But i was planing on doing a little at first. Im sure its gonna be a little different in a hydro set up. Thats why i was wondering what the ppm should ruffly be at. From clone to flower..

11. Thank you for that quick description. I was actually wondering what exactly PH readings were for when I was reading some of the journals.

12. Well I had some leaks in my big tank. But started my little 6er. Got her around 675ppm.. Around 5.5-6 Ph. I have only 3gals in my res. Is that Enid. Its a 18 gal res. I'm using it to veg and might move all into flower room. Also can I move them from my tank to soil. I may have mixed up my clones and don't know what's what. But I do have them labeled in the tank. I put the other clones into dirt already. Don't want to pull them out of the dirt and change it. can I do that? Pull 2 and Change them into the dirt and take 2 from the dirt rinse them and top them into the hydro tank. I just put them in Monday..

ForumRunner_20120405_205529.png

13. careful with the ff nutes if this is your first run with them my friend. quality stuff but can make your soup way too hot and nute the shit out of those perdy lil ladies.

14. [quote name='"hydromo"']careful with the ff nutes if this is your first run with them my friend. quality stuff but can make your soup way too hot and nute the shit out of those perdy lil ladies.[/quote]

I've done ff in soils for about 2yrs. I figure I start lower ppm and see where they go.

15. I forgot I'm running my air stone 24 and my water is 15 mins. on and 45 off..

16. Well I have my small dro tank up and running. They are doing really well I think. Decently enjoying how much quicker them seem to be growing.. Just Ph d it @5.9. 935ppm. Getting into week too. Bout to do a res change. I'm guessing I just need to,change out water with fresh and try to get it to the same ppm. Is that the basic idea? My tds meter only goes to 999 :(. Gonna put in a order to get one that reads up to 5000ppm. Not that I need to go that high, but I figured what the hell..lol

ForumRunner_20120415_231832.png

17. Also my water temp...its around 79f what the ideal temp? (that is a kitchen timer/temp reader in the pic seems to be working ok. Lol)

18. ideal temps between 68 and 72.

19. [quote name='"rockcrusher420"']ideal temps between 68 and 72.[/quote]

So its a little warm. Not sure now I can lower the temp. I haven't installed my AC yet. But if I lower the temp in the room it should lower that water,correct? the water is cooler than the room temp..