1rst Grow Winding up ?????? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tntburke, May 10, 2010.

1. I am in the begining of my 5th week of flowering Ak-47 and Pure Afghani. I just did a nutrient change, probably the last one but I am in much need of advice to finish this up right. All input to help me wrap this up the right way will be greatly appreciated. The flowering times for both of these plants said 8 to 9 weeks they are looking awesome and I really don't want to screw this up so I have a few questions maybe I can get some help with.

Right now obviously on a 12/12 light cycle 400w HPS. 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Hydroponic Flood and Drain flooding 6 times a day. 6 a.m.- 9 a.m.- 12 p.m. -3 p.m. -
    6 p.m. and 12 a.m. they are rocking on this schedule.

Temperature 72 to 82 degrees F with Humidity between 38 to 55 percent but have been about 38 to 46 percent the last week.

I have no light leaks and plenty of air transfer and major fans right on the plants.

It seems to be a text book grow at this point but have not been without my issues during.

Questions???

1. Should I remove any foilage to allow more light to penetrate the canopy?

2. When should I start looking at the trichomes to determine maturity?

3. When should I start flushing with plain water?

4. When should I cut them off watering completely and let them dry some?

5. Should I keep the fans blowing directly on them?

6. At what point of trichome maturity should I harvest for a real up energetic non lathargic buzz and inturn a medicinally for severe pain relieving relaxing buzz?

7. What time of day or night and or on or off light cycle should I harvest?

8. Please if their is anything I'm missing please advise, I want this to be done the best I can possibly get it done for a peak thorough harvest that I can make the most of.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

2. 1. No. They grew all those leaves for a reason, move them out of the way if you wanna but do not cut them off.

5. The fans should not be blowing directly on them.

3. Damn, that's a lot of questions! I would continue as is for at least another 2 weeks. I almost never have a plant come in right on the mark for its claimed flower time. The only real way to tell is to check the trichomes with a magnifying glass. During the last 2 weeks of the flowering cycle, the plant enters its harvest phase. The trichs start changing color, starting out clear and becoming cloudy as it ends its life cycle. When the trichs are mostly clear, you get an "up" effect, with energy and a heady kind of high. When most trichs are amber or milky, this will give one a "couch-lock" or narcotic pain-killing type of high. Cut off nutes the last week or so, and just run plain water. Let them dry out about 24 hours before harvest.

4. Some people do, others don't. I am personally not a fan of removing leaves and I believe if done in excess it will significantly reduce your yield. I tuck leaves behind branches and tie branches down to maximise the light's potential.
    Having said that, sometimes, in the last wweek of flower I do start to remove the largest fan leaves (which are usually yellowing at that stage anyway) because it saves time at harvest. ;)

As soon as you see trichomes you can start to practice and get to know how they change. To a certain extent it depends when you want to harvest.

I like to give plain water for 7 - 10 days before harvest.

I used to do this in soil but never have in hydro. Personal choice I guess. :)

Yeah, always keep 'em dancing. ;) good ventilation and air movement is really important. Your fan doesn't need to be blowing a hurricane, just a good breeze.

If you want both you would need to grow an indicay strain and harvest early or a sativa dominant strain and harvest late. That's my guess anyway. :p;) Indicas tend to be more couchlocky whereas sativas are more heady. Harvesting a plant early gives an up high, harvesting late does the opposite. Ya dig? :smoking:

I don't believe it makes any difference at all. I usually end up harvesting after aa dark period, albeit only a 12 hour one. I have tried leaving it in the dark for three days before harvest, it made little difference.

Sounds like you've done your research and you've got everything covered. Be sure to dry and cure those buds thoroughly for a superb smoke.

Best of luck. :wave:

5. 1. Should I remove any foilage to allow more light to penetrate the canopy?

At this point, I probably wouldn't, if it was the 3rd or 4th week, you might get some additional volume down low, but I wouldn't worry about it now.

2. When should I start looking at the trichomes to determine maturity?

Never hurts to look, besides it will help you to cue in on the changes that are about to occur.

3. When should I start flushing with plain water?

Wait until you start seeing the trich's change a bit, shoot for 1-1.5 weeks of just water

4. When should I cut them off watering completely and let them dry some?

Couple of days before harvest

5. Should I keep the fans blowing directly on them?

Yes! At this point, there isn't much that will hurt your plants or prevent harvest. The one thing that will is MOLD! Keep a nice breeze going on them.

6. At what point of trichome maturity should I harvest for a real up energetic non lathargic buzz and inturn a medicinally for severe pain relieving relaxing buzz?

others are probably better at this, dont know about your strain

7. What time of day or night and or on or off light cycle should I harvest?

folks say to cut them after a dark period, but I just dont have any personal evidence tyo support this one way or another.

Oh, and by the way, congratulations on your grow man!!!

6. I am stressed about this I really do not want to miss my flushing and having to let them go to long if I don't start early enough but I have only been flowering for 5 weeks is it possible to complete the cycle early?

7. You're welcome. :rolleyes:

8. First of all, relax. Enjoy the fac tthat you made it this far, and understand that you could probably give them only water from here out, or even give them nutrients from here out and you would still have some awfuly nice buds.

Wait to flush until you start to see trichomes change color, as soon a you see an amber trich, then go ahead and start flushing those babies

9. try to get a pic up
    then we can really start to help ya
    although it sounds as if your doing everything you should
    sit back and relax, u gotta be patient in this game dawg :cool:

10. Man I really appreciate all you guys helping me here I just want to do it right. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks Again.