Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

1Nd1Cas Cannabeer Method (Homebrew W/ Cannabis)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by 1nd1ca, Jun 4, 2013.

1. I have been an avid homebrewer for several years and have worked on creating the easiest method for producing a cannabis infused beer.

My method, although simple, still requires the same strict sanitation procedures you follow during the rest of the brewing process.

WARNING: This is for homebrewers and those who have knowledge of the brewing process!
    I won't go deep into the brewing process here as I'm not teaching people to make homebrew I'm simply advising on the best way to produce Cannabeer. People with little to no knowledge of brewing may not have any use for this thread but I'm willing to bet there are a few homebrewers out there on Grasscity that have thought about doing this before.

REMEMBER BECAUSE CANNABEER IS AN EDIBLE IT WILL TAKE BETWEEN 30-120 MINUTES TO EFFECT YOU! DON'T DRINK A SECOND BEER UNTIL YOU FEEL THE EFFECTS OF THE FIRST!

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

- 5 gallons of homebrew in a fermentation vessel (commonly a carboy) that is past primary fermentation
    - bottles or a corny keg to store your finished product
    - corn sugar for priming if you're using bottles
    - Green Dragon or Golden Dragon (this is also not a thread on how to make green dragon so if you need details and pics this is a good site for you http://420tainment.com/2010/03/green-golden-dragon/)

WHEN TO PRODUCE CANNABEER

Anytime after your beer has completed primary fermentation, I usually wait 7-10 days after pitching, you can produce Cannabeer. The secret to great Cannabeer is in the tincture that will be added to it and developing the perfect ratio. I like to make a good amount of Green/Golden Dragon at a time so that I can do an entire 5 gallon batch but sometimes I will only bottle half the batch of beer with tincture so I can share the delicious homebrew with my friends that don't partake in the greens.

DOSAGE

Many people use little medicine vials with droppers for their Dragon tincture. The droppers are freqently 1mL. I find that if I follow directions like those outlined for producing tincture in the link above that 1mL of Green Dragon will usually give me a nice buzz and generally 2-3mL of Golden Dragon will do the same. You will need to produce some Dragon and experiment to figure out whatever works best for you though. If you have a high tolerance it could be significantly higher than the amount I use.

HOW MUCH ARE YOU BOTTLING?

Now all that being said. You need to know how much beer your bottling and your bottling medium.

The best way to gauge how much you're bottling is to label the outside of your carboy with lines at each gallon it holds. This is easy to do using a sharpie and a gallon milk jug. This gives you a quick and accurate visual measurement to work with.

Each gallon of beer is about six 22oz. bottles, ten 12 oz. bottles or eight 16 oz. bottles. Bottle size is slightly irrelevant as you're mixing the dragon into the entire 5 gallons before bottling and if mixed well the ratio should be good across all bottles.

If you're using a corny keg just go based on the amount you can tell is in the carboy and give a rough estimate.

SERVINGS

I consider 12 oz. to be one serving of beer and therefore do all of my calculations based off of that. It is important to calculate the dosage based on this.

I frequently will do 1mL of Dragon to every 12 oz. of beer. So if there are ten 12 oz. bottles in a gallon and I have a 5 gallon batch I ill need 50mL of Dragon...still with me?

Sometimes I may even do a little less than the amount of Dragon I would consume without beer. Why? Because alcohol thins the blood and makes the Dragon effect you quicker and harder. Remember you are consuming beer and cannabis here, which can be a heavy combination. Also I'm more of a 2-3 beers type of gentleman than a 1 beer type of gentleman so I need to be able to have more than one without going completely to the moon. Also I like to keep the Cannabeer approachable to anyone regardless of tolerance.

PACKAGING

If you are kegging your Dragon infused Cannabeer just dump the Dragon in your sanitized keg and rack your beer on top of it. Seal it up with CO2 and give it a good shake to combine. Set it on the gas to carbonate and wait 7 days. Boom! Cannabeer on tap.

If you're bottling it's a little more difficult, as bottling is anyways...
    Add your boiled priming sugar to your sanitized carboy and rack your beer into it. Stop the flow of beer about 1/2 way through the process and add the Dragon then rack the rest of the beer into the carboy. Give it a gentle stir with your racking cane / auto siphon to mix the Dragon and priming sugar in and then continue with bottling like normal. Cap and store above 65F for a few weeks and voila!

FAQ:

Does the Dragon kill the yeast and preven the bottles from carbonating?

No. Not in the several batches I have done. I have had 1 or 2 that took a little longer to carbonate but all of them came together nicely.

Will this fuck me up?

Absolutely.

Why would anyone use Golden Dragon?

If you wanted to make a smoky stout or porter you can use Golden Dragon it will impart some smoky tones to the beer and you will be impressed! I personally would never use Golden Dragon for say an IPA, then it would be Green all the way.

Can I dryhop the keg / carboy with Cannabis for more scent / flavor ?

Yes. It's your weed use it how you will. Dryhopping will pull out the flavor but the psychoactive attributes will be weak at best. Rely on the Dragon for those.

Wouldn't this be funny to serve to someone unsuspectingly?

No. That would be irresponsible and not funny at all. Plus you could get your ass in serious trouble so don't.

Can I bottle 1/2 my batch and then add the Dragon so I have some that is uninfused?

Yes just be sure to adjust your ratio of Dragon to beer.

How long will it keep?

Well I've had bottles up to a year that still performed well. But really do you think you'll be able to hold on to them that long?

Cheers and Happy Homebrewing and Infusing!

ps. I'll be updating more to this later but I'm at work now and gotta jet. Hope you find the info useful!

2. The future of weed smuggling?

3. #3 BadKittySmiles, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
    Just stopping in to spare you an infraction/warning from a mod, this topic comes up pretty often so here's the lowdown, taken from a previous thread (*you may not even need to edit/delete anything to remain within the guidelines, since you're just suggesting to add tincture to a beer you've already made, and you can do the same with any store bought brand, and we discuss doing similar in the CannaPharm sticky! I'm really not sure how much it may be moderated, but I just wanted to give you a heads up since it discusses beginning with a home brew and continuing the carb :) )

Keep in mind that, unfortunately, no discussion or promotion of distillation or even brewing alcohol is allowed at GC. <span>[​IMG]</span>

We can talk about drinking alcohol, but not making it, even fermenting... keep in mind we get a different crowd here than they do in the brewers forums, some kids with the best of intentions, often can't seem to manage to follow a simple firecracker recipe. We're lucky we're allowed to discuss making concentrates and tinctures starting with extracts made from non-food grade solvents. :p

It's a bummer, but it is what it is, and I definitely do understand their concerns.

Fortunately, there are PLENTY of forums you can check out, specifically for brewing! <span>[​IMG]</span>

And (in the spirit of being helpful :p ) here are a few past posts I've made on the same topic, staying within the guidelines....

-----

(**Following a question on merely adding raw/active cannabis or hash during fermentation....)

Keep in mind that cannabis glandular material is not water soluble, and there is no where near enough alcohol in beer/wine to perform an extraction even over the course of several weeks <span>[​IMG]</span>

What you will get, is a bunch of nasty tasting chlorophyll and bitter, water-soluble plant salts! <span>[​IMG]</span>

Adding cannabis flowers or leaves, as they are in the ferment, or just boiled, only serves as a flavoring/bittering element! And the results are not always very pleasant. :p

That being said, we're unfortunately not allowed to discuss brewing of any kind here, but fortunately there ARE ways to infuse home brewed beverages with actual cannabis potency rather than just flavor! <span>[​IMG]</span>

Here are some old posts on the topic;

Brewing with ABV. Need advise

Brain Death - Marijuana Beer

Home Brew and Tincture

Canna-beer

-------------------

Disclaimer ( :p):

We're not allowed to discuss the process of brewing, or distillation here. <span>[​IMG]</span>

Before you ask why, please: Don't turn this into yet another 'why not' thread!

Once the search feature is back, and if you're really still curious, you can easily find a dozen or so threads explaining why.
    Among the reasons, there's the fact that even with the numerous tutorials and threads dedicated to them, many members here often can't seem to follow instructions for making a simple firecracker properly. People frequently get ahead of themselves, get 'creative', and sample their product before even asking if it's a good idea. <span>[​IMG]</span>

If you get creative in the wrong way, when brewing on the other hand, the consequences can potentially be as simple as drinking harmless bacteria and vinegar, or, the consequences can be substantially more severe.

If you over-consume cannabis, or make an oil based edible wrong entirely, the worst that happens is you get very, very stoned, maybe a little nauseous or anxious, and sleep for an extra 5 or 6 hours. Medically, health-wise, you are fine after the fact and there are no long term side effects. If you screw up an edible entirely, nothing happens at all, and you're just left disappointed! No one has ever died, or suffered permanent harm, from cannabis over-consumption. A glass of high-proof red wine on the other hand, directly off the top of a 10 - 20 gallon carboy, can potentially be deadly.
    Brewing is certainly and absolutely easy to get right, if you know what you're doing and you understand the importance of sanitary tools, but if done improperly or if the novice brewer gets over-excited and 'creative', then confuses simple brewing with distillation, it can potentially cause harmful, long-term health effects. For instance, even some 'adept' brewers are often unaware that particularly high-proof wine and some beer can produce toxic or harmful levels of methanol, which needs proper purging/evaporation... this is why even some store-bought brews and (especially) red wines, can cause terribly harsh inebriation, devastating hangovers, and blackouts, even after only light consumption.

When brewing wine or beer, it's formed by fruit pectins, and to a much lesser extent, by grains. A small batch *shouldn't* be deadly, but it can still produce permanent liver and pancreas damage, and reduce their ability to function properly in the future.

A cheap wine known as 'Buckfast Tonic', for instance, has been reported in an unusually high number of violent incidents. In other countries, with less scrutiny and little to no pre-sale testing or analysis, or where illegal wines are sold openly in store-fronts while the authorities 'look the other way', hundreds of people have been killed at a time by single batches of poorly brewed beverages. <span>[​IMG]</span>

We should be grateful that we're still allowed to discuss alcohol/hash extractions... if people abuse the rules (which is why the discussion of other substances was banned), the discussion of alcohol based extractions will very likely be the next to go!
    It wasn't all that long ago that I had to explain, painstakingly, to an insistent younger member, why he shouldn't drink an Iso-alcohol hash extract. <span>[​IMG]</span>

It's also just a courteous gesture to respect the rules of the forum, and the wishes of the owners who are kind enough to provide it. <span>[​IMG]</span>

There are a TON of forums and websites dedicated specifically to brewing, feel free to check some of them out. <span>[​IMG]</span>

----------------

Now that the above is out of the way, I will also say this:

You need to add an activated, and already-bioavailable concentrate or extract, either before the ferment, or after bottling and at least a few weeks prior to consumption. I recommend using a citric acid (powder, not simple lemons!) and lecithin extraction. You can also make a golden or green dragon, but adding excess alcohol before the ferment can potentially hinder the actual alcohol production that you're trying to encourage.
    Without adding a properly made, activated, bioavailable concentrate, the amount of alcohol you create is simply not sufficient to break down cannabis glandular material, nor is it enough to promote efficient bioavailability.

Adding cannabis flowers or leaves, as they are, or just boiled, only serves as a flavoring/bittering element!

You will not create sufficient alcohol to perform an extraction, and the flavor is not very palatable unless the plant matter has been properly cured, and often even water-washed beforehand.. and again, it would be for flavor alone with virtually no transfer of active potency.

I'll add the link from the 'not-tutorial' in the CannaPharm... <span>[​IMG]</span>

Simple: Triple Berry Hash Wine

<span>[​IMG]</span>

http://forum.grassci...=1&d=1299488333

edit - Vids of the fermentation...

http://forum.grassci....wine3&cat=3362

http://forum.grassci....wine2&cat=3362

http://forum.grassci....wine4&cat=3362

Bear in mind, these were made for a tutorial for simple, cheap home-made 'carboys', best for short-term use, so folks can decide if this is a hobby they really want to pursue, before they invest a lot of time and money... we have several 5 - 10 gallon standard glass carboys going, especially during bloom, in the grow rooms (concealed in wrapped, light-proofed cardboard); they provide fairly adequate CO2 <span>[​IMG]</span> )

We regularly make hash infused sake, mead, miodomel, hippocras, wheat ale and more. <span>[​IMG]</span>

4. Thanks BadKittySmiles for the heads up! It wasn't my intention to stir anything up. Just trying to share my method for cannabis infused homebrew.

Sorry if this was against any rules.

5. Thats pretty awesome, nice long post :) As usual :smoking:  

I have a buddy that does homebrew... would be fun to combine his homebrew, with mine haha

6. One of the great things about carrying around bottles of Cannabeer is that it appears just like your drinking regular beer. You can take them to the beach, on a picnic, to family gatherings, etc. and no one is the wiser to your devious ways!

One of my favorite recipes is an all-grain double maple porter that I add Golden Dragon to. It's about 8.6% ABV. I make the Golden Dragon using Booker's barrel proof bourbon (note if you're using whiskey it needs to be barrel proof for good extraction). The porter is rich and chocolatey and the bourbon backbone and smokiness of the Golden Dragon make for one exceptional beer!

7. Can I add cannabis oil to beer if so should I put it in the fridge or not and how long do I let it soak would it taste nasty... It would be so much easier that way please let me know y and y not I can do this

Piff man

8. I am an experienced homebrewer and I would like to share my recipe to make sure everything's cool. Number one, make a 10 gallon batch of stout. Wait until it is ready to be bottled. Number 2, make Green Dragon with 2 ounces of chronic and 2 bottles of 190 proof everclear. Obviously not going to try to bring a liter and a half of liquor up to 160 degrees. Going to do it in 2 batches with a 2000mL erelenmeyer flask, pot of water, and a hot plate outside. Number 3, put all of the green dragon into a bottling bucket and siphon the beer into the bucket so it all mixes together. Number 4, bottle beer/dragon mixture...maybe wait a week or so for the everclear to devolop the taste of the stout? thanks.