(1995) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Evolved, May 26, 2009.

1. I felt like the cinematography of lots of the scenes of this movie really represent accurately what it "looks" like inside your head when you're fucked up. Anyone else see what I'm saying or does that make zero sense?

2. It's supposed to be like that, man. And the movie is from 1998, not 1995. But yeah, it accurately represents because HST was actually on set and helped the people know the visions that he had back in 1971.

3. Right, thanks on the date. I was thinking it was 1995 for some reason. No, I know it's supposed to be like that. HST is the entire reason I'm watching it. I mean, it seems like they did a really good job with it to me. Whereas, other movies that have tried to shoot the "first person view" of being under the influence, but never seemed to nail it I guess.

4. Its my favorite movie! :)
    Thats how it's suppose to be O.O
    It kicks ass haha.

5. You guys should check out the book if you haven't.

HST has lots of good stuff. Hells angels, rum diaries, curse of the lomo... etc...

The great shark hunt is a really good book as well.

6. hell yea, all his shits good. His auto-bio is great too: Kingdom of Fear

the movie is great too. I liked it, then i watched it on LSD, and I stand by this when i say that nobody has really seen F n L until they've seen it on LSD. I swear the movie was made to trip to... i've watched a lot of movies trippin, and nothing is quite like this. When Raul Duke has his headtrips in the movie (even when he says nothing), you get the same headtrip and feeling, its intense, and near impossible to explain. Buy the ticket (acid), take the ride (watch F n L).

7. So true. I found myself noticing things about the movie I hadn't noticed before when I watched it on acid. It is truly a different experience.

Ralph Steadman's the jokes over was another really good biography on Thompson.

So did anyone hear that they are going to be making the rum diaries into a movie and Depp is going to be playing Thompson. No way it will live up to FAL but cool as hell nonetheless.

8. man i almost grabbed the jokes over yesterday at the bookstore, but i decided against it... next time...

and yea im stoked for the rum diaries... as well as depp being in burtons alice in wonderland

9. The book was amazing. Im so pumped about Rum diaries too.

Amazing book, you should chek out some of his books if you haven't.

10. Yups.

11. #11 full melt, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009

Ever consider that HST didn't write his books to be funny? Maybe its not your thing that's fine... But if you think its suppose to be funny you clearly missed the point of his books. As for monotonous it is a collection of his essays and articles. To someone who isn't a fan of course its going to be monotonous but to someone who IS a fan its very interesting view into his thought process and what he has been through.

Hells angels was a great book.

If your going to share your opinion you should probably do it in your own words rather than piggyback off of mine :p

12. #12 MoonJuice, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009

Oh yeah, you got me, HST's political musings are way beyond the limits of my small dino-brain.

And his novels are almost exclusively satire, so I'd say going in expecting some semblance of humor wouldn't be completely ridiculous. I respect the man and all, but both TRD and F&L are HILLLLIAROUS, sharp, and lean, his later stuff = B l o a t e d.

Just 'MO, hope it doesn't cause you too much pain

13. Oh my God, Fear and Loathing the book is great, probably the best social and political commentary book I've ever read. The Rum Diary is great as well, can't wait to see the movie.