18mm and 14mm bowls

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by JoeMucha, Sep 15, 2012.

1. What is better to have? perhaps whats the big differences i mean air flow obviously but does it effect you hit?

2. Some people say that because an 18mm has a larger hole it can pull more smoke through, imo if it does make a difference its not a big enough difference for me to notice.

It does seem to me though that it is harder to find things like ash cathcers and bowl pieces that fit my 14mm

3. Depending on the tube the difference can be minimal to monumental, I have a thick 14" tall tube that was greatly improved when I switched the 14mm downstem for an 18, but my bud has a cheap, thin 18" tall bong that hits a lot faster and cleaner with a 14.

Jut my experience.

4. It really depends on the tube. I have a 12inch Heady glass mini shower cap, it's a stemless 18mm. I got that paired up with a B.Wilson disc slide and it FLOWS like crazy. Then I also have this 17inch tall stem-line that has a Stemless 14mm joint, also paired up with a B.Wilson disc slide. Both hit great and stack bubbles like crazy. 18's will flow a little more than 14's, but slide style is critical. A disc slide will flow more than a push style on anyday. There is other good styles out there too-Multiple holes(flow pretty good), Ice Pinch style(flow good also), honeycomb style(flow decent, clog quickly).

5. honestly i am a fan of 14mm bowl pieces.
    i have owned multiple 14mm's & 18mm's.
    from my experience the 18mm just wastes more bud.

its all preference really though

6. I don't think the joint size (18mm, 14mm, etc) determines the size of the hole in the bowl, just the male piece that goes into the downstem/bong.

So as far as airflow goes, if it has any noticeable effect at all, would be determined by the hole you put the plug nug/screen over.