18 and NEVER had an official job???

Discussion in 'General' started by iNate, Sep 11, 2009.

1. I totally agree... tell them what they want to hear but as if you mean it lol

2. #22 mrnoname, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
    You need to be more creative.

One of my professors told us that he never uses a resume anymore but instead he wrote a bio on himself-- work related of course, including skills and experience as well as a little getting to know him part.

It's basically everything a resume is but in a much easier and more entertaining to read format. And he says ever since he started doing this that none of the interested companies has yet to ask him for a formal resume (but he still has one to hand them just in case).

There are a bunch of other more creative things you can do too. You need to try and stand out more.

Also keep in mind that past experience does NOT have to be past jobs. It can be anything related to the job that gives you experience. For example: some related classes you might have taken at the community college. (which you should do btw if your not in college yet).

Oh, and knowing people helps too. Talk to people and network. Jobs wont fall into your lap by doing the bare minimum (handing in a plain old resume with no work experience). -- Get some nicely written letter of recs. from teachers and such.

There's a million more things you can do to help your odds, but I don't know them all myself. Anyways, good luck!

EDIT: One more thing I think you should do: check out your community college and see if they offer any classes on resume building. This will be of tremendous help for you.

3. that is a really fucking good idea :D:wave:

4. I quit my job at Burger King after 2 years. Applied at Pizza Hut where the manager told me they were hiring for every position. Called about a week later and he said "Oh yeah! I remember. I'll put a note on your application." Haven't heard shit a month later.

5. Getting a job at gas stations is pretty easy, if the owners are white. I work at one right now. Pumping gas is the easiest job in the world.

6. You either need mental help or you haven't been searching for a job for two years. You should be able to land a job within a week if you truly are looking for one.

Dressing nice, presenting yourself well is important when grabbing an application AND during the interview.

Fill out your applications completely, and in good handwriting. Don't fill it out at the place you got it from.

Call two to three days after turning in your application, ask to talk to a manager. Tell the manager your name, say you're calling to see if they've had a chance to look over your application and if they might have any questions.

Fill out 5 applications at places saying they are hiring. Doing the above.. There's no way you wouldn't get a job.

Unless your availability straight up sucks.

7. I just applied to one on the internet a few minutes ago. The drug testing thing kinda freaks me out but I'm probably gonna be on probation pretty soon anyway. I also got an OWI and got in a car accident right in front of the place. :eek:

Might go apply at an old folks home today.

8. Drug testing? I didn't get drug tested at the one I work at but I guess different gas stations have different policies.

9. I don't know if that is true- right now the unemployment rate is pretty evil. I have been looking for jobs all summer with no luck (other then giving a few guitar lessons)- I plan to apply at my movie theatre on sunday and give in applications to barnes and nobles but all the stores sound like they are filled up with workers ;/

got any good job ideas?

I've tried applying at the library, my local headshop, a couple online websites that got me nowhere. I'm 21 and never had an official job :mad:

10. apply for some kinda construction job instead of these panzy jobs at walmart and shit, your far mroe likely to get hired even with a criminal record.

11. where do you apply for construction?

i don't have a criminal record though :devious:

12. Not true at all. I've been trying to get a job for the past four months (i have filled out probably around 25 applications), but all to no avail. I always follow up on my application, make sure the manager can recognize who I am, and show up to the interview/application pick up wearing a step above the required dress. It's really all about who you know, and in this economy (my state's unemployment rate is 15%,woo hoo!), if you don't know someone the sad fact of the matter is you most likely won't get the job. Especially without work experience.

13. I feel that I've had jobs that paid under the table but nothing with a paycheck right now i just want to get into pharmacy school so i can get a job scholarship from walgreens.

14. I agree with everyone saying Jobs suck. They suck when your friends go out partying. They suck when have to work and something else comes up.

But..........

I have always had a job since I was 15. Im about to turn 22 and I have owned my own home for over a year, and I have a very nice car.

Saving money rocks.

15. yeah man im 19 with no job neither... it sucks so bad.
    because i want one.

but i live in a town where there are more letters in the name of the town, then there are places to work.

i even tried the mcdonalds in the next town over, my best friend works there..
    i got denied.

by mcdonalds...

16. that's awesome . i would kill for a job- hopefully my movie theatre is hiring :smoke:

17. you didnt get denied, they just werent hiring

18. im in the same boat, ive been out of work for a year now after my first job (for a month).

i hate the fucking rat race, dude its all about where you have been for how long. no one gives a fuck what kind of person you are unless you are going for a small mom or pop shop. im 19 with no working experience (fuck burned bridges), its hard as hell to find a job. i dress nice, try to make a good impression but, sometimes i just dont know what to do or what to say to the person you know?

i applyed to a bunch of fast food restaurants and even go in and talk to the managers and just get the whole "if we need you we will call you" speil, fuck working, how can i get rich quick?

19. The real money is in tipped positions.

I am currently a Account Manager at a valet stand, after paycheck and tips I average about 25-30/hr but my employees average 18-25/hr.

If you can, Valet is an awesome job, I love it.