18/6 or 24

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by subsidine, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Im starting new seedlings today. Just put them into 1" rockwool cubes... What is reccomended by the pros. 18/6 or 24. Im starting off with a 400MH until the seeds have sprouted and grown a bit then I want to change to a 1000W HPS Once they have started growing.

what should I set my lights at and should I keep it the same until flowering at 12/12?

I also germinated them using the paper towel method to get them started if that makes any difference.

2. a few Pics to look at.

1. Full view grow op.
    2. Top view
    3. reservior/bubbler with rockwool cubes
    4. Exterior completely light proof and well vented.
    5. air filter to eliminate odours.

Attached Files:

3. whats a good height for my light to be at right now as well?

4. Yo,
    People Will swear that 24/7 is the way to go.. But YOu will actually get more Productivity out of your Plants if you go 18/6 . 24/7 doesnt allow your plant any Dark time to Rejuvenate. Plants need some darkness to convert starches to sugars to aid in growth.Should go 18/6 untill they are big enough to flower.but dont let em go to long because plants usally double in size after you Flower. so leave enough space..
    36 inches is a good distance to hang your light .. GL .

5. that is the nicest set up ive seen in a long time lol. how much did you spend on that nice nice

peace da_buds

6. Spent way too much... I knew nothing when I bought it.

Sunlightsheds.com

7. :hello: subsidine,

You have a very nice set-up with the growing chamber. The one thing that I would recommend to you is that you buy a flourescent light & fixture to use during the seedling stage of growth. Using a high intensity light during this delicate stage of growth can burn the plants and cause serious harm to your plants. The intensity is much too high for these young plants and most experienced growers that I know use flourescents.
    Mostly when bought, flourescents come with the plain cool white bulbs. These white bulbs are inefficient for growing. You can purchase bulbs or tubes that are manufactured specifically for growing. Once your plants become stronger (like three or four sets of leaves), I would then introduce them to your 400 watt MH. I prefer to run my lights 18/6, because I believe that giving my plants 6 hrs. of rest is one way to relieve stress in the plants. That's just my take.
    I would introduce the 1000 HPS when you have aquired the height & size that you want, and switch your light cycle to 12/12. This will introduce the plants to more infared light that is needed to produce large amounts of T.H.C. and crystals. Following this 3 step process can enable you to grow plants to maturity & harvest in aprox. 10 to 12 weeks.
    This is just my recommendation. Some growers prefer running their lights 24/24 during vegging and 12/12 during budding stage. That maybe something that you can experiment with during the next couple of grows that you have. Do one grow with your lights @ 18/6, and one grow with lights @ 24/24. Then you'll know what works for you. You always run your lights @ 12/12 with preferably a HPS bulb for budding.
    One way to regulate the correct light height over plants is to place your hand at the top of your plant. If your hand gets very warm, you can be sure that it will warm to your plant. Most times you are safe @ 18 to 24 inches above your plants. That's with a fan blowing as well. Heat can become a factor when using the big HID lights.
    Didn't mean to be so long winded. Good luck with this grow.
    :smoke: I.B.Token

8. I apreciate the long response.. I was looking for details.

Thanks for all the help...... I have a 120W cool white bulb I use for the seedlings.

9. .

Attached Files:

10. I meant I will use. Thanks again for the advice

11. so you reccomend 18/6 for my seedlings too? or just once they've sprouted and started the veg stage.

12. :hello: Most growers set their lights for young seedlings @ 24/7. You'll be able to keep your light close to your plants with the flourescent. You can be within a few inches of your plants with this type of light. After a couple weeks of growth you should be able to put the MH on the plants.

:smoke: I.B.