17-Year-Old-Girl OD's on Caffeine.

Discussion in 'General' started by Heinous Anus, Aug 14, 2007.

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/6944026.stm

"A teenager was taken to hospital after overdosing on espresso coffee. Jasmine Willis, 17, developed a fever and began hyperventilating after drinking seven double espressos while working at her family's sandwich shop.
    The student, of Stanley, County Durham, was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham, where doctors confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine.
    She has since made a full recovery and is now warning others about the dangers of excessive coffee drinking.
    Ms Willis, who had thought the coffees were single measures, said the effects were so severe that she began laughing and crying for no reason while serving customers at the shop.
    \t<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="208"> \t<tbody><tr> <td width="5">[​IMG]</td> <td class="sibtbg"> \t\t \t \t\t[​IMG] \t\tI was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock \t\t[​IMG]
    \t

\tJasmine Willis

</td> </tr> \t</tbody></table> \t

She developed a fever and began struggling to breathe after being sent home by her father.
    "My nerves were all over the place.
    "I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating.
    "I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock.
    "I did not realise this could happen to you and I only hope other people learn from my mistake."
    The teenager, who was allowed home after a few hours of observation, suffered side effects for days afterwards and now says she cannot stand the sight of coffee.
    Her father Gary, who runs The Sandwich Bar in Stanley, said: "She did not realise she was drinking double measures.
    "I have always stressed to my children the importance of moderation but Jasmine got caught out on this occasion."

Yet, the Herb still remains illegal...

2. ... Why would you want 14 espressos. Surprised she didn't get an ulcer too.

3. I work in a sandwich/coffee shop. There's this massively fat chick who drinks 6, double espresso's a day. And she wonder's why she has heart problems...

4. england has problems with caffine. there are these pills the kids take there, i think they are called pro plus or something, and everyone takesn them, EVERYONE. they are just cafine energy pills and people do rediculous stuff like take them when they go for hikes and shit... RETARDED.

i dont know whhy people dont already see how dangerous some of the drugs that are furthest from being illegal are.

5. I drink a lot of caffeine daily, and this might be what I needed to hear to cut it down a little bit. I also have trouble sleeping at night, which probably has a lot to do with all the caffeine in my body. I never really thought anyone could be seriously injured by coffee unless they were burned.

6. I'm extremely allergic to caffeine. No soda, most teas, coffee, chocolate, anything of the like. I have to carry around an epi-pen just incase I ingest any.

I suffer blindness, INTENSE migraines, non-stop puking, and crippled for a day or two. Its a horrible experience. Even a big gulp of soda could set it off.

7. thats fuucked. i dont have anything nearly that serious, and i drink so much and eat so much that contains caffeine, im sorry man thats a horrible thing to live with.

8. Heinous:
    You are probably much healthier though, because you dont drink 7-11 big gulps of soda, or any of that shit.
    Soda tastes good, but its basically liquid sugar.

9. Yea, it could be fatal if I ingest enough. Could pop a blood vessel in my brain. :(

10. Caffeine sucks, Amphetamines FTW

11. Wow, I've never heard of caffeine allergies. That's pretty serious. Did you have to find out the hard way?

12. That kinda sucks, but if ya look at the bright side, at least caffeine and all the other crap in soda is so bad for you thats its not worth drinking anyway.

But I sure would miss my coffee and tea.

13. I wish I could quit soda. It's everywhere. I always need a little sip.

14. Holy crap!

My dad used to give me coffee since I was 2, and dont get me wrong I looove my morning cup o joe and coffee ice cream, but I limit myslef to just one sup a day and more and Im like a hyperactive chihuahua on crack.

15. Haha I know. Caffeine is supposed to dehydrate you, but it always works good for cotton mouth still. It just doesnt "quench your thirst" as much.

16. I once took 6 Caffeine pills and thats exactly how it felt, minus the random crying and laughing.

It was actually quite an experience.

17. Ugghh I hate caffeine. It doesn't really wake me up when I drink it and the only side effect I get from it is mild insomnia... great. Last time I drank a full cup of coffee I starting getting pretty jittery and claustrophobic. Soda sucks too but doesn't seem to effect me as much.

I've never understood how people can drink so much coffee or energy drinks.

18. shit i love that expresso shit,,,, my old boss is cuban,,, and he visited the island,,,, and brought me back some ''FIRE'' expresso coffee,,,

that and some booze,,,, and it aint me walking crooked,,, the sidewalk's moving under my feet.... a recent photo of me on this combination,,,

[​IMG]

19. The fatal dose of caffeine is closer to what is found in 80 - 100 espressos, although symptoms can be felt around 2-3 grams depending on body mass.

To be honest, she probably didn't need to go to the hospital, just to go home, stay hydrated, and do her best to stay relaxed and not exert herself.

No offense, but she's not exactly a small girl either. I mean, she's getting an awful lot of publicity because she drank too much coffee and needlessly went to the hospital. I think it's ridiculous.