1600w DWC- 5 TOP strains in perfect environment-Photo Heavy!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Dustybowlz, Jan 22, 2011.

1. PLEASE GUYS, IF YOU SEE ANYTHING OUT OF PLACE SPEAK UP.

I am totally guessing and taking pieces of info that I "like" from the web, books, my local hydro shop, advanced nutrients hot line (Dmitri and Roy are the shit btw, you may knock AN but these guys know there shit for sure!) you tube and my local co-ops. Granted most my info comes from books, people are a viable source of info!

With that being said.....

I installed my VSC-DNe today.

I was running one of these

[​IMG]

But I didnt like that it was manual.

After chatting with my local hydro shop I got one of these...

[​IMG]

It keeps my temps nice, here are my cola temps a few hrs into testing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This thing rocks!! Can we say automated fan speed and day and night temps? I love it!

Since I have to wait till my hydro guy gets back from vacation to return a bunch of stuff I hooked up a bunch of these crappy quiet pumps at 3 per pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt get around to lollypopping them as much as I wanted to in veg plus learning I cant trim week 1-2 of bloom, ended up with a lot of stuff not getting light down below.

What would you do with this stuff??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres my Grape god at wk5 in flower in DWC

[​IMG]

Heres my Pineapple Express at wk 4 in flower in DWC.

[​IMG]

2. Looking good man. If it were my stuff I'd get all those big fan leaves out of the way on the top half of the plant. Normally I'll leave the ones on the perimeter but anything which blocks a viable bud site I want to be getting direct light.

Normally I leave the entire bottom alone to keep the cholo flowing but yea, lollipop those bad boys!

(Personal opinion)

3. Thanks for the quick reply!!

I cut all the big fan leaves on my last two and the top colas were nice, everyone says leave them cus there the best source of light intake vs budsites but I got some nice colas with direct light to budsites.

I was thinking of trimming off "leaves that block budsites". Just wasnt sure.

What do you mean by "keep the cholo flowing"?

Only thing I can think of is either
    a-doesnt get much light and stays like small pop corn buds and takes some energy from top colas

b-If there not there it saves the energy and sends it to top colas?

4. I meant to say Chloro my bad. Take a look at the Red Dragon plants in my signature. I chopped shit shit out of them and look at the tops now 2 weeks from harvest.

Good luck man.

5. Lol, i kept thinking. What cholo? Im no mexican!

Ok ill go check it out.

6. Heres my cloner

[​IMG]

My veg room is just blowing up! I got some more 5gal buckets so I can push them in the bloom room if I absolutely have to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My New air pump is louder than ever. I had company coming over and had to do somthing. This temp fix ended up staying around. It not only kills the vibrations, it also keeps it much much cooler!

[​IMG]

Heres the bloom room. First are the grape god and pineapple express. The last two are the white widow X Northern Lights. They sure are bushy!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. So I started with a 30x loop
    Switched to a 60x/100x mag
    Then switched to a much nicer 100x mag.

I can now get a much more detailed view of when to pull :D

I pulled at day 65 with very little amber.

I think I want to try day 68 and they day 70 on the next few. See what it does.... Everyone keeps telling me its all trial and error. :smoke:

Bud Report
    -First, it smells just like my room and never changed smell. It is the most pungent, fruity dank smell. I was able to retain all of the smell and look durring curing process
    -Looks amazing. Full of trichs that are fully intact and a very good trim job. Everyone is absolutly blown away! Photos dont do it justice.
    -Density is perfect. It isnt airy and didnt lose any weight, post dry process. All nice fat nugs. Im happy with my 600s
    -Very sticky even dry
    -Quantity...I got 3 oz's per plant. It was under nuted and in soil. It didnt fatten up like I thought it would. I got 6 oz's total. I just cant keep ahold of it. I wish I had a full room of it right now.....

Smoke Report.
    -It is very smooth (thanks to my cure job), it closes your lungs when you hold it in. Very nice smoke!
    -Taste is amazing! Exactly as it smells!
    -After taste is not harsh
    -You can almost taste the grape when you lick your lips.
    -It is creeper, takes a few mins from sober to fully medicated (I take two .3g gravity bong hits for reference).
    -It is medium/low body high, very potent head high, makes me very sleepy when I consume a lot at night.
    -It is a pretty long lasting high and easily gets me re-baked

In short, I love my bud! So does everyone else who sees it, weather they know its "my bud" or its somthing I just picked up.

Two short stories.

1- I took a qp to my local co-op because he really wanted it (after all my talking it up). From the minute He opened the jar to me walking out the door, he couldnt stop raving about it. Here are a few key points I got from what he was saying.
    -OMG it smells/looks so amazing I just want to eat it
    -I cant believe this is your first grow!
    -This rivals anything ive ever grown
    -This is easily Cup quality!
    -I cant put this out on the shelf right now, my stuff wont sell
    -OMG it smells/looks soo amazing
    -I think I am going to hoard it and not give it all out till your perpetual.

Then I got on weedmaps to see if maybe he gave it out and maybe someone left reply. Odds were low but it was worth a shot... These are two quotes people left.

"man..had to give these guys another review..went in this afternoon & had a hard time trying to decide, the exclusive strain they had today was killa, all i can say is that i left with some bomb..."
    "Went in there today got there new exclusive (ill let you find out what it is lol) It was the most fire i repeat the most fire i have smoked in a while. Chem dog who. Go get,it when you come. Oh yeah the best parking too..."

I tell you that made me really happy!!

2- I had a friend come over to smoke, He is a rookie but took a bong hit, passed out and spent an hour in the bath room. He walks out and says, "wow, I have to go, thats some fire bro". lol

Heres the best pix I could get...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Thats fucking awesome! Especially reading reports of your bud from random people!

9. Nice thread, just found it today!!Great job out the gates can't wait to see the next few. A few suggestions if I may;starting off in soil is best being it is more forgiving, the pics of Grape God/Pineapple Express(post 61) need a little less N and more Phosphorus(they are starting to get N burn). For your loud pump you can take a short piece of surgical tubing and attach it to the intake side, drastically reduces noise, hanging it also helps with the vibration. The plants in veg should go in soon then it will reduce the need to trim anything off the bottom.
    You should wait until the day before the next full moon(19th) to put those into flower it seems to really help kickstart'em. Then you'll be dam close to harvest on May 17. Couple of full moons away. Taking clippings is also a good thing to do around a full moon.

You said CH0L0 hehehe.

10. I also agree with starting in soil, or actually a soil-less mix. Pro Mix Bx with added perlite or Pro Mix HP (high porous) both are awesome soil-less mixes to start with. Then pick a good soil recipe online which uses Pro mix as their base, and all you'll have to do is water from planting til harvest. if you choose an organic soil mix, you wont even have to flush your plant the last week or two. not all strains are the same, but the mixes work well with light to moderate feeding strains.

also i saw a good idea recently on how to quiet a cage fan or pump. find a medium sized igloo or generic ice cooler, and modify it to fit your pump/fan etc. When properly retrofitted and with the lid on, the coolers insulation does a great job muffling sound! Everything else looks great! do you top your plants or do any training??

11. I know, You have no idea how happy that makes me feel! Since my first was soil and im 100% hydro now I have high expectations....

Wow great post!! REP

I started in soil at the exact time I started DWC, it was easy....... Im 100% dwc now due to difference in yeild..

I dont know why I would have more N and not enough P. Im guessing Its either from me starting off with such a light feeding schedule or improper ph or way out of balance RH/VPD at night? Good eye tho!

The reason the plants veg so long is lack of space in bloom due to 9wk strain.... Trying to dial my perpetual harvest in now...

Hmmm... never heard of the full moon thing?

Only thing that would bother me is after doing some reasearch on boxing in my pump is that even with a fan and intake and exhaust the pump still runs very very hot.

12. You have a very clean setup, looks great. I would maybe raise that plug that at the top of your buckets though, would hate to see you zap yourself. I hope you get your temps inline got a great set up to work with.

13. SUBSCRIBED! By FAR the best/cleanest setup i've seen so far (ima noob but still i've seen my share of setups) :) Out of curiosity how much have you spent on the whole setup?

14. great work man i have pretty much the same setup but yours is a lot more nicer and clean looking great job. and thanks for the ideas

15. Sorry for late reply, I didnt want to post until I had an update.

Any way to answer your question, A LOT,

Someone told me a long time ago, "You go cheap, you grow cheap"

My mom taught me, If your truely interested in somthing, test it out first vs buying cheap. Do your research and find out what type user you are. Then, if your still interested buy somting that will last many years. Cheap shit needs replaced often and those costs rival somthing worthy right out of the gate.

But it all starts with asking your self what you really want out of it?

I want the best damn smoke around. Shit aint cheap.

16. Well a few harvests in and its time to spend some more money toward my claimed "perfect environment".

I made another thread http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...one-week-fix-room-thats-getting-too-warm.html talking about my heat (like every other noob im sure) issues. It took me a long time but after all the work i figure its time for an update.

Heres what I did

-Seperated my exhaust from veg and bloom (added 2nd fan and made sweet exhaust plenum)
    -Added 6" roof vent in roof (should have used 8" but couldnt find it, then later found them at a different hydro store)
    -Added CAP VSC-DNE controlers in veg and bloom ( day and night, variable speed fan controlers)
    -Finished a little frame work and insulated the last few walls in the bloom room. (doing the veg room here soon since its vacant atm)
    -Got a (crappy single hose) 10k btu portable unit for $100 from a friend (very very low hours not used in grow) that I couldnt pass up either way. I upped the exhaust size and ducted it straight to the roof to its own vent. Insulating the duct of course.
    -I ditched all the cheap hydro flexi duct and replaced it with the newest (highest standard) hvac insulated ducting. I mean absolutly every inch of duct was replaced.
    -Made 1x 50g rez w/ un phed RO w/ air stone keeping good DO
    -this rez has its own pump and hose for filling.
    -Made 1x 20g top off rez with "current" nute batch for quick daily top offs
    -Made 1x 20g top off rez with phed and "buffered" ro water.
    -Figured out how to control my cloner water temps :hello:
    -Did a lot of research and built a sweet box to mount window unit ac inside your house :D
    -Finally I can cool and control rh and temp to "my desired" settings within my grow and work areas.

Enough talk, how about some photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Your work area is really nice too. You have a great setup up all the way around.

18. Been busy, have to look, like week 2 or 3 or so in bloom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. #80 Dustybowlz, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
    All things cloning

My trusty DIY cloner.... She produces every time.... Shes been getting too warm. I didnt get the room cool enough and leaves began to twist.

A little research showed that if you keep the root zone as cool as possible you can combat it. Looks like it worked, All are rooted despite harsh conditions. WHEW

Roots all solid white,
    -Efficiency of ice depends on ambient temps.
    -If room is 77-79 it keeps temps under control for 12 hours (enough to swap a bucket before and after work)
    -If room is 73-75 it honestly lasts 24 hours! I only swap bucket before work!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres my test incase my cloner failed

all my grape god failed :(

all my pineapple express rooted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]