150W HPS vs 250W CFL - Heat Comparison

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mycelium, Dec 19, 2009.

1. With 250W of CFLs (10x25W) my cabinet has been staying warmer then I had originally expected @ 84-88 degrees. I was somewhat mislead during my research on CFLs and have realized although they are typically cooler then HPS, it seems using many small bulbs compared to just a few big CFLs will produce much more heat. I suppose this is because of the larger number of ballasts which are contained in the bulbs. I've decided a remote ballasted 150W HPS would not only be more efficient for my setup but will most likely stay cooler, so I plan to order one tonight. Was wondering, how much of a temperature reduction you all might expect from the switch?

2. Depends bro, we need some more info like size (WxLxH), ventiltion specs, how many plants etc... Ive never used a 150 w HPS before but i am running a 1000w (flower) and damn does it get hot. I am also using 17 27w CFLs and just them alone bumb up my temp 10 degrees in a 4x3x7 area, but i have excellent airflow to keep it cool

3. I thought my current temperatures were enough of a reference to gauge how much heat I might lose. Its a 2x2x4 plywood cabinet w/ around 60-80 cfm of air flowing through it. I personally think it'll be about a 5 degree loss, keeping me around 80. Just was curious what others thought.

4. Well the 150W HPS was installed today, and I'm amazed. The cabinet now runs at 78 degrees compared to 90 with the 250 watts of CFLs. Those of you who have been lead to think equiv. lumens worth of CFLs will run cooler then HPS, think again. Smaller CFLs at least are not the way to go, perhaps larger ones will keep temperatures lower. I'm going to add 2x 42W for supplemental lighting since I can afford the temp difference they will make :D