150w HPS too strong for my clones?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jguy44, Sep 9, 2011.

1. I just took 6 clones today from my two plants and put them into flower so I can sex them:smoke:. My clones are in a make shift bubble bucket/tupperware container which is inside another LARGE( like 100 L) tupperware container. I modified the lid to hold my 150w HPS bulb/ballast, but I'm thinking it may be too hot/bright for them. There's something like a foot of distance between the tops of the clones and the light. I'm keeping them in 24 hrs of dark right now, and am planning on switching the light on tomorrow afternoon. Any opinions or comments? I'll try to get some pictures on here soon.

2. Probably too much. A foot away? I've never dealt with a 150 watter, but I imagine the heat is substantial. Remember, these clones just went through some serious stress being cut from their mother. A couple CFL's or a simple T5 flourescent will work well. At the very least, move the light further away. Also, the HPS won't help it sex faster than a MH or a 6500k flouro. The HPS is for building the buds, but sexing has to do with the change in photoperiod. I'd choose one of the former, ideally a 6500k flouro, over the HPS.

Keep the clones under 12/12 with whatever light you end up choosing and you'll have your answer in a few weeks. I personally would wait for them to root first, then sex, but I think it'd work from 12/12.

3. I actually looked into this and changed my design around. The plan described above would not have worked at all! Now I have six clones, 3 from each plant, that were labelled 1 and 2 dipped in rooting hormone, placed in wet soil and then placed underneath a clear plastic cover and then sprayed for humidity. I moved the 150 hps about 3 ft. above and 1 ft. left of the clones as to make sure not to burn them up. The mothers (labelled 1 and 2) went into flowering on 9/9, so I'm waiting them out to sex em. In a perfect world if they are both fems, the clones will spend two weeks under full 150 hps light in veg and then head into the flowering tent with the mothers.

I have to keep the hps bc that's all I have. I'm not able to drop any more money into my set up besides the carbon filter. That's the last thing I need and I'm completely finished! From what I've read, a 400w hps will be just fine through both cycles. Check out my grow if your interested. It's pretty basic, and I'm about to start listing better pictures...I've just been lazy:smoke: