150W HPS - Internal vs Remote Ballast heat difference.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mycelium, Dec 18, 2009.

1. I'm about to purchase a 150W HPS, either the HTG system which uses a remote ballast or Sun System's which has its ballast built within the hood. How much heat does a 150W ballast actually give off? The light will be going in a 2x2x4 cabinet with around 60-80 cfm being pulled through it. If internally it will make more then a 1 degree increase vs using a remote ballast outside the cabinet, I might as well go the external route since they are the same price.

2. I have a 400w HPS Lamp w/ remote ballast. And that sucker gets hot, over 95F. I would for sure go for the remote. Not saying the 150W will put off that much, but with the bulb already putting out a lot of heat in the hood the last thing you need is more heat from the ballast. Too much heat can damage/ripple the bulb. Thats the last thing you want with a HID is a rippled bulb as that will let the high-pressure gas out and it wont work :/

HTG is where I got my system, they are great :)

Hope I Helped :)

3. I agree with AJ, go for the HTG. Although 150w isn't too much, you don't have a lot of space and may as well go for the external IMO

4. Thanks for the replies. I agree HTG is definitely good, I already have one of their 400W MH/HPS systems but can't use it at the moment because of my new space, it would be overkill and would involve upgrading too much equipment to keep it cool. 150W + possibly some CFLs Is definitely enough for 2-3 beefy LST plants that will keep a perpetual stash for myself going. Later on I could add another 150W and use dual cool tubes if I have a need for more.

5. Im using 2 150W enclosed kits, one with glass one without in a 2x4x6 cabinet. 4" inline can fan kept me no higher than 85 in the fall when it was over 100 outside and now in the mid 70s in the winter. Just harvested tonight. Pics of grow in my sig to see what a couple of 150s can do.