150W HPS Heat Questions?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mauhini, Mar 15, 2014.

1. So, I set up my new grow box/dresser. I have a passive intake 120mm computer fan and a exhaust that is also 120mm. 

I have my 150W HPS light in the dresser with a ballast. I am testing the heat and the grow box for any stress. My humidity is pretty good and my temps are alright. It has been on for a hour and 20 min and the max temp reached was 82 degrees. It's a little warmer than i wanted but I have auto's anyway.

Will it get any hotter than this or has the bulb reached it's maximum heat displacement?

2. It will depend on the temp of the outside of the box. If it is 80F outside the box it will be hotter inside then if it was 60F outside the box.
    What is the size of your box?
    How many CFM does those fans do?

You should post a picture of your setup to help us get a better idea of what your working with.

3. #3 Mauhini, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    I don't think you need to know all of that to tell me if a light will produce more heat after a hour of being on or if the light is at it's max energy output. 

My current temperature is irrelevant but provided anyway. You have plenty of info. 

Ambient: 60 Degrees
    Box: 1ft x 2 ft x 4 ft

also as stated im using COMPUTER FANS there cfm is not set in stone mainly for the fact that it will spin faster or slower depending on the voltage and wattage of the AC adapter that you used to rig the fans

4. Wow someone with that much knowledge and talking down to someone needs the community's help why?

You seem to know it all and Karmas a bitch sorry for trying to help.

5. What the fuck is your problem?

Dude is trying to help you out with heat issues and you treat him like shit?

Yeah dude, your bulb is going to keep getting hotter and hotter and hotter for at least 36 hours. 

Your light has been on for an hour and twenty minutes. Why not wait another hour, and see if the heat has gone up?

"You have plenty of info."

Actually this thread is pretty old and my bulb has not gotten hotter than the mentioned. Thanks though.