150w hps and cfls, first grow.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by bobbarker420, Apr 1, 2010.

1. #1 bobbarker420, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
    Hello, me and my friend decided to start growing in my spare bedroom about a month and a half ago. we decided to use some seeds his uncle had that were just random ass seeds from different funky shit.

We started germinating them in pellets purchased from walmart, we started with 36. Most sprouted in about a week and we transfered the best 28 into solo cups. when we were at walmart we purchased a 400w halogen light and miracle grow potting soil. The miracle grow was a huge mistake along with the halogen light. :(

1st picture shows the halogen and cfl setup (i know the cfls were too high)

They grew for about two weeks and we were having different problems until we got a general purpose fertilizer and some epsom salt. our problem seemed to be caused by lack of magnesium and as we later figured out hard tap water. Our light then blew out and they were on cfls only for about 2 days. a few died off and by that time we had already lost about 8 so our total now was around 15. i decided it was now time to purchase a better suited light i found a street lamp at lowes that seemed practical. the light and ballast were all contained in a metal shell and including the bulb it was only $50. the only problem is it is only 150w and we needed to transfer our plants to bigger pots anyway so we cut it down to 10. we used just some regular .5-.5-.5 potting soil with manuer mixed in. the middle picture is where we are now..:D

Attached Files:

2. update!!
    i made a screen from an old lamp shade and fixed it to our most indica dominant plant (never use twine or string). we seem to have three confirmed females. three others are showing calyx growth and we dont really know for sure if they are male. if they show a calyx with no hairs does that mean male?

Attached Files:

3. update!
    im moving out and weve been preparing. the screened plant is going into an attic setup with the 150 hps and cfls the other females are going outside. we now have 6 outdoor plants three are in the ground pictures coming up soon. but our two best females will be in the ground soon they are in the pictures. happy 4-20 blunt included :smoking:

Attached Files:

4. what kind of wiring did that street lamp require, 240V? can you show a shot of that light?

thanks!

5. a catalyx with no pistils doesnt mean male. it means female. my afghan plant did the same thing for a while. be patient the pistils will come. if its male you will see things that are like a ball or a ball on a stick...given enough time there will be lots of those balls. sometimes they look more like ovals with tips on them. good luck! and sometimes outdoors helps the plants because theres more co2 if you dont have a co2 tank. GL!

6. #6 bobbarker420, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010

yeah, we just wired it into the 120v spot where the ceiling fan goes. all we had to do was tape up the light sensor on top and just flip the switch.

ok, we'll just wait to make sure whats male or female. idk if its co2 that helps we had a co2 tank in our room for the last few months and it does help alot but from what i can tell the outside is better because the wind builds up the stems to another level than fans can do and there is so much usable light bands put out by the sun that lights cant really recreate.

end of first grow; reason below :cry:

Update!!

now for the bad news, police got all of the plants outside and my friend whose house is across from the spot got interview and searched. They found my fertilizers, soil, shovels and axes but didnt even try and charge her they said they are going to get fingerprints and thank goodness ive never been arrested (so no fingerprint records.) She never touched the pots so hopefully it will all pass over with the d.a. not having enough evidence to charge anyone.
    :hide:
    nothing ever happened

Attached Files:

7. Update!!
    Second attempt; Redid the 150w and cfls at my friends house, still using bagseed but it is some locally grown heady shit. I built a grow box for this attempt (looks way more professional.) Currently we have 4 plants growing but there are 12 more germinating for a 600w upgrade coming on the first. pics coming soon, more complete update also.

8. well, the ones i questioned were males. i appreciate all the good luck wishes but i lost respect when i saw your white power symbol, race is not real, how small minded of you. It is just a difference in skin pigmentation caused by regional differences during evolution and if you really believe in god then you should remove that cross. Im pretty sure the christian belief of a good, honest life doesnt involve hating someone who youve never even interacted with. if your in america then go back to where ever anglo saxon (not sure on spelling) originated, i bet it wasnt north america. so what if your white? do you have better morals than every black person? i bet not.

9. Update on the cab and plants? :smoke:

10. Update!! (as demanded) ha. They are doing well got a little over watered but my friend and me had a little talk and now he knows when to water them. 600w still coming on the first. I also will be making a screen soon. Ive decided SCROG is the way to go.
    any opinions on scrog? why not use one?

Attached Files:

11. Ill include a picture of the box next time, its just plywood and will be big enough to hold the 150w and some vegging plants thatll eventually go into the 600w flowering box. mylar and 600w box to come.

12. #12 bobbarker420, Jul 6, 2010
    :smoke: Update!! My friend is still waiting on his student check so no light yet but i found a cheaper option discount hydro was in the back of my grow book is there any reason why not to go with Discount Hydroponics - ValuLine Lighting or any other suggestions for the cheapest way to get a 600w hps preferably? :confused_2:

The plants are doing well i topped one after a mishap with the fim technique and the other two just got fim'ed, two days ago. The solo cup plant is backup but i may go ahead and tranplant it just incase we get too many males. The leaves are curling up at the edges, i think it my just be slightly too hot or the light is a little too close. The one in back is topped and its already growing two main shoots. pictures show the light a little bit and the node growth. bad cell phone pics but its veg, who cares. :metal:

Attached Files:

13. #13 bobbarker420, Jul 6, 2010
    about week three 7/6/10

Attached Files:

14. Update!! theyre looking good. I tried to lst the strongest growing one which i believe will be male anyway. I made the spikes out of clothes hanger and when i tried to bend one down i snapped it right at the stem, most of it was still attached but it worried me so i decided to remove all the tie downs. no more training until scrog.

Attached Files:

15. Update!!!
    Plants goin good. im so ready to quit smoking this reggie bullshit!!
    should i switch to 12/12 once i see pre flowers or should i just wait and scrog? :confused:

Check out the four main tops growing in the third picture. fim'd perfectly if i do say so myself. :D

Attached Files:

16. They look like they're ready to transplant:smoking::wave:

17. There looking sweet:) your set up is like my own, ill be following to see how you get on
    oh yeh can someone tell me how to move my thread its in the wrong forum.:mad:

18. I agree green. coming soon. I found some different pots around the house and I picked the three closest in size and the larger ones.
    I think they did that for you. but yeah it is similar. very. :metal:

19. Update!! things got a little rough for the plants and one got it the worst of it :( this has delayed the transplant and been the first big mistake for this grow. It was a combination of nute burn then lack of watering with a little heat stress.:mad:

Attached Files: