150HPS Guerilla Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by indica77, Jan 2, 2013.

1. #1 indica77, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
    New thread to track construction of a new veg/flower cab and to document my next grow.

My current flower cab was just a temporary fix until I get a real low profile stealthy veg & flower cab constructed.

My girl is getting paranoid about this giant stinky wooden box in the garage, can't blame her, I need something stealthy.

So here are the specs for the new box, it will go underneath my workbench and will be easy to conceal.

Height: 30in
    Width: 50in
    Depth: 16in

The box will be split into two sides, each one running the following setup:

1. 150W HPS lighting
    2. 4in exhaust fan
    3. Two clamp lights with 35W CFL

I figure the 150W HPS is perfect for either veg or flower cab since width will be about 2 feet after I split the box in two parts.

The exhaust will be ducted out the back of the box into the wall, completely hidden from view b/c of the fact that the cab is under my work bench.

Light is really the main stealth issue for me at this point. Smell has been easy to control using the ONA Block

I'm getting my lighting and fans from HTG Supply. I can't find anyone else w/ better prices and I really like their customer service.

I'll probably start on the box construction this weekend...

2. sub'd - this sounds like an awesome setup

have you performed any testing around temps?

3. Use lines of ducting or elbow joints to conceal light on a cab/tent IMO.. you will need some good ventilation for having two 150hps in one cab so i hope those 4 in fans are high velocity or atleast one of them is. Glad you like HTG, just make sure when comparing prices you include htg's shipping charge. That will get ya in the end with a few of their products.

4. temps shouldn't be an issue with that space and a 4in fan. then again I've never used HPS so who knows, I'll see when I get it setup.

5. agreed about the ducting, i'm ordering 8 ft to go with fans. both fans are only 80cfm.

big deal or not? remember that this cab is actually two cabs...it's split into two sides for veg & flower...

my dad is running 4in fan and hasn't had heat issues in about the same size space...then again he's using t5 fluoro...

6. You just answered your own question. Your dads using the same fan for t5s and not having heat issues. So unless hes having problems with low temps(doubt it) then you will be the one that does encounter the heat prob with HID lighting, specially two at that.

HUGE difference on heat output, t5s are well known and usuallly used for their low heat. HID is well known for it's heat and avoided for micro for that reason. So yeah I'd say it's a big deal specially because the cabs will be side by side which still will emit heat through the board I imagine you separating the two cabs with. Will be like having two heaters next to eachother.. they don't cancel eachother out just makes it hotter.

But you can try the small fans out. But mark my word you will wish you would have spent that money on a bigger fan. Those duct fans are weak. Better for intakes imo or help airflow within ducting.

7. [quote name='"istaymedicated"']

You just answered your own question. Your dads using the same fan for t5s and not having heat issues. So unless hes having problems with low temps(doubt it) then you will be the one that does encounter the heat prob with HID lighting, specially two at that.

HUGE difference on heat output, t5s are well known and usuallly used for their low heat. HID is well known for it's heat and avoided for micro for that reason. So yeah I'd say it's a big deal specially because the cabs will be side by side which still will emit heat through the board I imagine you separating the two cabs with. Will be like having two heaters next to eachother.. they don't cancel eachother out just makes it hotter.

But you can try the small fans out. But mark my word you will wish you would have spent that money on a bigger fan. Those duct fans are weak. Better for intakes imo or help airflow within ducting.[/quote]

Lots of good info in ur post...maybe i should drop the hps and go with the t5...

Need to see what the pros and cons are inregards to hps vs fluoros.

I know that temp issues are a bitch don't wanna deal with those issues again

8. or LED's if you can afford it

9. yeah it would be cool, but outta my $ range right now, saving for a down payment on a house :)

10. HPS
    pros: More growth, faster growth, bigger harvest, more trichs, all around better
    cons: Heat, (size can be a issue if you use a cool tube/reflector like did)

Fluoros
    pros: low on heat, smaller
    cons: less growth, slower growth, smaller harvest, less trichs

Its a pretty simple comparison, the only things that should affect your decision is heat < ventilation < money.

Then again you saw the buds i pulled off a fluoro grow and i was plenty satisfied with the quality. Just keep them plants close to the light as possible, their whole life.

Last but not least i thought i'd leave ya with this, cfls > fluoros. If your grow plot is going to be veg and flower all in one i suggest using cfls. I suggest using fluoros for veg/clones because it covers a larger amount of area with one fixture and seem to be better on electricity and heat. But when it comes to flowering you can get wayy more lumens in a smaller space with cfls. Or just do what i did and use both. After flowering a plant under fluoros this is how i feel though.:D:smoking:

P.S. maybe one side fluoro? one side hps? one side small fan? one side big fan? just a idea..:wave:

11. Maybe a good setup would be to use my CFL's for veg and then HPS for the flowering.

The cab will be split down the center, one side for veg, one for flower.

Since I already have CFL's, I don't need to purchase lighting for the veg side, just will need to get the HPS lighting, therefore saving me $. Using HPS for flowering seems like it will make a bigger difference than using it for veg stage...and since I have all the CFL lighting right now, there's no need to get rid of it.

I'll throw in some attachments for clamp lighting if needed in the veg side. depends on space.

that will save me about $120 right there.

thanks for the good ideas and info...

12. Hey Indica,

If the heat starts to bother you just build a cool tube or cool chamber. Just put a sheet of window glass separating the bulb from the plant. You will lose 6% of the light but also you will lower the inside temp a lot. in this way use a dedicated exhaust fan for the lamp. a computer 120mm does the trick. it´s quiet and can suck lot´s of air.

Had to do this for my 100W hps PC.

:smoking:

13. Sounds like a good idea. And yes hps is more effective during flowering.

14. cool I'll keep that mind, God knows I've had enough issues with temps over the past few months

15. i would also say that your better off with cfls over hps for vegging. for the first couple of weeks the plants will take in their maximum light from whichever lamps you use so theres no advantage of hps. obviously when they are bigger and providing all their other needs are satisfied then more light will get utilised.

i grow with hps and cfls, flowered and vegged with both many times and as far as potency and trichome production goes i have seen no difference at all using either lamp type

16. [quote name='"jetski"']i would also say that your better off with cfls over hps for vegging. for the first couple of weeks the plants will take in their maximum light from whichever lamps you use so theres no advantage of hps. obviously when they are bigger and providing all their other needs are satisfied then more light will get utilised.

i grow with hps and cfls, flowered and vegged with both many times and as far as potency and trichome production goes i have seen no difference at all using either lamp type[/quote]

Did u see any difference during flowering when using hps vs cfl

17. indica - have you done a cost comparison on LED's to HPS.

In the UK I can get a 100W LED for the same price as a decent quality ballast - the heat difference apparently is poles apart and quality of bud is supposed to be comparable.

AE has an LED grow going in a stealthy cabinet if you wanna see one in action http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/1144137-aes-winter-attic-grow.html

18. i have never compared lamps that use the same power so i dont know, but i suspect hid lamps would come on top. but as long as the same power is consumed i dont think growth rate would differ much.

the problem with people comparing the two types is they often compare huge wattage hid lamps with low wattage cfls which is obviously pointless. even comparing ones that are rated the same is not a fair comparison because hids use more watts than the bulb is rated for, and cfls usually use less

but this is just final harvest weight im talking about. as far as potency is concerned there is no difference what wattage or type you use as long as the plants are getting enough light to grow properly and that amount is surprisingly small

potency seems directly genetic related and as long as the plant is healthy then potency wont differ depending on environment.

plants have many requirements, only one of those is light, it seems so common for new growers to get too fixated on light and ignore all the other requirements, growing sickly plants and thinking adding more light will solve the issues

the advantage of hids is you can grow taller plants because of the extra light penetration, taller or bigger plants will give you more bud, simple really. however these will take longer to veg so its all swings and round abouts.

cfls have less penetration so when using these your garden should be a different shape. lower height but wider. growing more plants each being shorter. less bud per plant obviously but many more plants and a shorter veg time makes up the difference

19. another way to compare is instead of electricity consumption being equal you could start with your maximum heat allowance. so say you have a particular sized grow area and a particular size exaust fan. you would inturn have a maximum heat allowance you could get away with. if that heat allowance allowed you say a 400watt hps then you could probably use about 1000watts of cfl in the same place and produce about the same heat. i believe you would get a bigger harvest from the cfls in this case

i have never done this experiment so i could be wrong, but from my experience its certainly plausible

20. #20 indica77, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    Thx to all for the input on lighting...lots of different factors to consider. In the end my main goal is to choose lighting that will give me the best/fastest results during the flowering cycle.

I know some of that depends on the strain, however some of those factors can be controlled by good lighting I believe.

My final selection is HPS for the flowering cab and using my current CFL bulbs for the veg side.

Today I went by home depot and got all my plywood measured and cut.

I ended up having to sacrifice a few inches so the final dimensions of the box are 48in long, 28in in height and 14 inches deep.

Total cost for the plywood including the cutting was $32.

This setup is going to have to be 100% stealth. My significant other doesn't want any growing going on until we buy a house next year.

Lucky for me as long as lights and smell are concealed, I'll be good to go, it's not like she hangs out in the garage.

I'm going to assemble the box tomorrow night and wire up the fans in the veg side and get everything ready for install of the CFL's.

Since my girl told me the growing party is over, I'm going to have to flower my two other plants using the new setup. I figure i'll just use the veg side for now to finish flowering the two plants and then shut it down until I get my HPS lighting and finish off the rest of the cab.