150 hps flowering...how many plants is ok

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by caughtabuzz, Apr 4, 2009.

1. i was just wondering how many topped plants you could flower under a 150 hps thanks a lot

2. depends on their size really, but oshgoshkabosh is right. if they are under 2 ft tall, you could get away with two plants. any taller than that and you'd only want a single plant.

3. spoken by people who have never grown with a 150 lmao

how many plants can you cram into a 2'x2' or smaller space? cause thats your answer

my maximum during flowering has been 10 so far. you gotta get creative boys and girls....but 150 isnt the infant-light many on here assume it to be

4. #4 caughtabuzz, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
    would two 300 watt cfls help a lot during flower along with the 150 hps....and wow you have done 10 under a 150 b 4......?

5. I got 23 under a 400 hps , with 8 additional 2700 cfl's just to mix it up I added 4 6500ks in a room about 4x5 . Mind I only plan to grow them about 24-30" then tip it.

6. #6 amoril, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
    what do you mean how did I get 10? i just found containers that had enough volume to support the plant size I wanted, and that I could arrange to put 10 plants in a space of 22"x24"

ive got some 3L square pots, some 1.5L sq pots, some 1 gallon sq pots, and some 3gal sq pots

the 1.5L pots are the 3L cut down, I start clones in these and transplant to 1gal

the 3L pots are used for seedlings, and transplanted to 3gal

make sense?

the difference in HPS watts doesnt directly imply how many plants you can grow, it governs how large of an area can effectively be lit. Keep the 150 close to your plants, and keep your plants under the light footprint. i do have some extra cfls, but thats irrelevant...the HPS covers all the plants in my area, so 10 can be grown easily the way I have it set up

7. asmany as you could fit into 3sqft.

8. I veg under a 150w hps and have vegged up to 10 plants no problem as well. I currently have 8 in there right now. I wouldn't flower that many under a 150w hps but still would like to put my input in about it. The 150w hps works well for veg, it runs cool(I've got a cool tube) and I can lay it on top of the plants canopy no problem.

9. I was about to say. They're not called 'High Pressure' for nothing. You could easily fit ten. It's only a matter of organization, not light.

10. You get a Forrest when you run a lot of plants in a small space...
    This is 8 under 150w HPS

Attached Files:

11. LST the ladies.

12. I don't know if this is directedd at me but all of them are except for the ones up front where I have room to grow strait up.

13. Well, it could be for OP or not. I just recommended it to help control that 'forest' thing.

14. Flower 10 plants under a 150w HPS? Maybe that works for some folks, but the conventional wisdom would say 1-2, maybe 3 plants.

15. conventional wisdom? honestly?

lurk your way to the micro section over on icmag...people do well there with a lot less than 150w hps...not trying to argue, I just think its ridiculous to knock 150s

if there's a legitimate reason, Ive not seen it.

a 150 can easily be placed within 6" on tops...if you LST, thats 6" from many points on the plant. that substantially alters the 'lumens'

when a light says "xxxx lumens" its factored from 12". cutting that distance in half multiplies the effective light x4, since the denominator is squared in the lumen function.

but hey, i must be crazy...right?

16. I have one plant under a 150w hps, and she has maxed out the light.. Sure you could fit more, using micro grows, but a 150w will do 1-3 normal sized plants.. I LST'ed mine.. She's going to be a monster! :D

17. oh, I can agree with all that Osh.

I just dont think its fair to assert that flowering with a 150 is for some reason taboo. Can you accomplish the same yields as with a 1000w? of course not. can you harvest a decent amount of equally potent bud? surely.

the amount is up to you...its a compromise of space, so sog/scrog is a good idea, Im big on pinching in flowering. get incredible colas that way, and it doesnt require a ton of root space. you align them in rows, and bam, each cola is pointing into the center of your lights footprint. sprinkle a few cfls around the perimeter, and voila ;)

18. That's what I've got going on right now.. I have the 150w hps dead center, and on each side, I have the 4-23w CFLs.. seems to be a nice ticket.. well, until the 400w mh/hps w/ cool tube gets here from HTG supply.. :cool:

19. what kind of yield using just the 150 watt hps do most of you guys using them get. I am just curious to know watt per gram where people are usually at with the 150hps.

20. conventional wisdom also says you shouldnt smoke pot... we need people to debunk conventional wisdom, not just accept it as the written word of jdog.