15 States including Texas submit petition to succeed from US

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NasaJoe, Nov 11, 2012.

1. I think it's some kinda obsolete car, like an Edsel or sumptin . . . ? :confused:

2. Yeah I was wondering that myself. Can I sign for NY and LA and IN and so on? Or did they somehow make it so you can only sign if your from said state.

I betcha I can sign each and every petition :laughing:

3. [quote name='"dudeindistress3"']How do they know the signatures are from people that live there? Or is this done on the ground?[/quote]

No you don't have to live in Texas and yes you can sign every petition if you want. Doesn't make them any less legitimate, especially considering the fact most of the signatures are from the home states.

4. #64 will3117, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
    It takes one person to file for this type of petition, It does not in any way reflect the opinion of anyone in that state but the one person who files for the petition and anyone who subsequently signs it, that person must then get 25000 signatures in the next month to force the Federal Government to agree to read and read only the request....

This means absolutely nothing, these types of petitions are requested by the 1000s every year in states throughout the United States for anything from succession in this instance to requests for a tree to be planted or a road to be renamed.

5. [quote name='"will3117"']It takes one person to file this petition for there state to succeed it doe not in any way reflect the opinion of anyone in that state but the one person who files the petition, that person must then get 25000 signatures in the next month for the Federal Government to read and read only the request....

This means absolutely nothing, these types of petitions basically are requested by the 1000s every year in states throughout the United States for anything from succession in this instance to requests for a tree to be planted or a road to be renamed.[/quote]

So your trying to tell me that there isn't a huge amount of support for secession in these states?! Especially Texas?

I know for a fact that there is.

6. It don't mean squat anyways. According to what a buddy told me who used to be a town justice, petitions have no legal weight. (but they can have political weight.) So nobody's gonna dig into them to see if they were done according to the book, whatever. At least that's how I see it.

The idea to "petition the government for a redress of grievances," as the 1st (?) amendment states is nothing but a joke today. Government does what it damned well pleases.

7. Huge popular support? How many people signed it? Texas, 3,771 total population just under 26 million according to the census 2 years ago.

Please post your factual data.

I grew up in Texas and lived there over 40 years till 3 years ago, The idea of Texas succession is something of a joke, Texas lost the ability to suceed as did all the United States after the Civil War. It is something that the wack jobs bring up every couple years when there side loses an election.

There will never be any States allowed to suceed short of an armed popular uprising i.e. a Civil War, since the last one cost almost 700,00 lives and we currently live in a country that freaks when 10 soldiers are killed, that's probably not going to happen.

8. #68 Americandutchyz, Nov 12, 2012
    [quote name='"will3117"']

Huge popular support? How many people signed it? Texas, 3,771 total population just under 26 million according to the census 2 years ago.

Please post your factual data.

I grew up in Texas and lived there over 40 years till 3 years ago, The idea of Texas succession is something of a joke, Texas lost the ability to suceed as did all the United States after the Civil War. It is something that the wack jobs bring up every couple years when there side loses an election.

There will never be any States allowed to suceed short of an armed popular uprising i.e. a Civil War, since the last one cost almost 700,00 lives and we currently live in a country that freaks when 10 soldiers are killed, that's probably not going to happen.[/quote]

Already posted my factual data. This petition went from 9,000 to 11,000 signatures in mere hours.

Your entitled to your opinion I'm entitled to mine. I lived in Texas for 6 years which is nothing compared to your 40 but Texas is a large place and there are many different opinions in the state. There's actually a movement for Texan secession that has existed since before the Obama administration so it's not just "wack jobs".

The right to secession is still in the Texan constitution and Texas is actually the only state which retained the right to secede.

Edit: now nearly at 12,000

9. My history teacher told us in that in 25 years, +/-, the US will be broken up and the states will become new independent countries and or form with other states to form a new country. This was back in the late 90s. This is what history bufffs were predicting according to him. I believed it then and I believe it still.

10. #70 will3117, Nov 12, 2012
    There has always been a movement for Texas succession. In Junior High we were taught that Texas has both the ability to break into 5 separate states by popular vote and to succeed by popular vote both of those items written into the Texas constitution were null and void the moment Texas asked to be and was allowed to join the Union.

The first because The Constitution of the United States says only The Congress of the United States has the right to form state boundaries.

The second because any States joining the Union had to first concede that All constitutional items in state constitutions are trumped by the constitution of the United States (Supremacy clause article 4 US Constitution), which does not allow for the succession of States.

The idea that a state had the right to suceed was further tested by the Civil War those that believed they had a right to suceed lost.

11. If you secede your state governments will just take the federal governments place.

There's no way everyone is going to agree with the way the state government is run. It will replace the federal government as the scapegoat to blame every problem.

12. [quote name='"will3117"']There has always been a movement for Texas succession. In Junior High we were taught that Texas has both the ability to break into 5 separate states by popular vote and to succeed by popular vote both of those items written into the Texas constitution were null and void the moment Texas asked to be and was allowed to join the Union.

Any States joining the Union had to first concede that All constitutional items in state constitutions are trumped by the constitution of the United States (Supremacy clause article 4 US Constitution).

The idea that a state had the right to suceed was further tested by the Civil War those that believed they had a right to suceed lost.[/quote]

Well I think this is up for debate and I think Texas does have the retain the right to secede. Kind of tired of the argument though. Whether it will happen or not? Probably not anytime soon no.

13. it's real simple google it.

14. texas, and louisianna are half way there, and they still have a quite a bit of time left to get the rest they need, but i really dont know if the obama admin. would even consider it. why can't those states just pretty much say fuck you government im leaving, and just leave? why do they have to do this? also i think they were created by regular people, and not someone in the government

15. Ha, I grew up during the "Red Scare" of the 50s and 60s. Washington was obsessed with it, much as it is with "terrorism" today.

If you took any political speeches from today, and replaced the word "terrorism" with "communism," the speeches would probably be indistinguishable from those of my childhood. The state needs to continuously justify itself by finding bogeymen.

When I was in school we routinely had "air raid" drills, where upon an alarm we went out into the hallway, sat down with our backs against the walls and covered our heads. The commies were going to bomb us, didn't you know? Washington had a daily obsession with communism exactly as it has an obsession with terrorism today.

Then along came 1991, and Boris Yeltsin was standing on a tank, shaking his fist at the Soviet Union establishment. Two years previously the Berlin Wall fell, reuniting Germany for the first time since WWII. The handwriting was on the wall, but as I stared at my TV, watching Boris Yeltsin, I really couldn't believe what was happening. It was just so inconceivable. The idea of the Soviet Union breaking apart just didn't seem possible. All of my life I was told it was the biggest, most impenetrable, infallible evil that ever existed. But as I watched it happening before my eyes, it was history in the making.

Nothing is forever. Especially empires, which are held together by brute force. They come and go, and unless the US thinks it's going to defeat history, it too will break apart and be brushed aside some day -- suffering the same fate as all previous empires.

16. Mexico moves up the California coast, the centre is red and the east is blue.

17. As I posted previously in this thread, yes this will happen. The United States will break up, despite anyone's efforts to prevent it. History is on my side.

We just don't know when it will happen.

18. This is awesome! Its great to see some states standing up and saying its damn time to fix this country, enough with this corrupt system were running. I love it. Personally I'd love to see that happen. I've always believed in a decentralized government and this would be perfect. A whole bunch of countries with similar but different laws and values coexsisting peacefully would be a dream come true.

19. #79 kayakush, Nov 12, 2012

you fixed it for me alright?how can the colonies be in the monarchy for 800 years when they did not exist until only about 170 years before the revolution? Anyway.... but did the british just let the colonies leave without killing their own brethern? when the south left did the us kill more americans to keep the union. i got your point but no one will beat the united states federal government at this point. there are too many sheep

20. I was just making a point using your post.

The colonies were under British control for 170 years, as part of the Kingdom that existed for hundreds. The colonies themselves obviously didn't exist for that long.

Have you studied the American revolution? The British were far superior in almost every way military-wise. Tories thought it would be useless to fight against such an entity.

This is why I don't rule out the underdog, the people, the state militias...
    They say that the answer to 1984 is 1776.