15 gallon pots

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by firstimah, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Yes, I saw that - a minimum order of 500 UK pounds - that´s about US $750. I will stick to smartpots for the moment.

2. Me too, I will be ordering 10 more in the next few days for my auto flowering seeds. I am still trying to decide on the size I want.

3. Like I said - if you've got money to burn!

To say the least......

There are a couple of distributors in the US, one in Florida and one down in Salem, Oregon. A #5 Air Pot was $10.95 and the gentleman at the counter who deals with crusty, redneck nursery growers all day long was able to crack a smile when he gave me the quote.

"Are you sh*tting me? $11.00 for a single pot?"

"Yeah but all the cool kids are in here with their credit cards buying 10 at a time!"

Heh - those days are over (i.e. easy-to-get credit cards).

4. Wow! 60 gallons?

Sweet mother of Jesus Christ - that's awesome. Keep enough water on it and you could easily hit 20' (6 meters?) - very easily.

Stay safe and all that! Wow! 60 gallons! They grow friggin' trees in SmartPots that size. Not saplings but real, honest-to-God trees for hotels and resorts.

I'm envious.

LumperDawgz

5. Hahaha! I was hoping that's what you would say!

6. LumperDawgz:

Would you still recommend the Perlite in the bottom even if your soil mix already contained Perlite ?
    Am trying some White Label Hollands Hope this year 100% indica. Which pot size, am considering th 10 or 15 gal. ? I will be moving them around...

7. Yes I would. And if it's possible I would use pumice over perlite if you're growing with hardcore organic process. It's about the CeC (cation exchange capacity) of pumice vs. perlite.

That's not to say one should have perlite in the soil - they should. Because of the differences in the CeC between perlite, pumice vermiculite and the impact that has, I buy a soilless mix that has all 3 in equal amounts.

HTH

LumperDawgz

8. Home Depot has 18 gallon keg buckets for like 12.99.

9. Pumice seems a lot easier to get out west than here on the east side. I was checking out the Air pots and found them to be comparably priced to the Smartpots. 20 of the 45 gallon Air Pots cost about as much as what I paid for 15 of the 60 gallon Smartpots.

10. You can buy a 20 gallon Smart pot for $12.

11. That makes sense. I wasn't thinking.

It's no big deal, i.e. perlite vs. pumice - I'm just an old grumpy man set in his ways! LOL

The 'purist' in me I guess.

Heck - even the red 'lava rock' stuff they sell in nurseries will work. The reason that I think you need an inert cushion in these pots is that if you're growing outdoors and the pots are sitting directly on the ground the roots will push through the bottom of the bag - that's a given. Remember that these pots are (or were) intended to grow saplings in them. Tree roots grow very slowly compared to cannabis.

Let's say for security reasons or better lighting there comes a time when you may want to move your outdoor plants from here to there - you'll find it much easier to move if the roots aren't embedded 4' into the top soil at your grow site.

HTH

LumperDawgz

12. dankohzee

I was looking at the ProMix line of products at their web site and looking at some of their mixes. Very nice products. Difficult to source on the West Coast since Sunshine (Sun Gro Horticulture) out of Canada has a packing plant about 25 miles south of Portland where they pack their Black Gold (consumer line), Nature's (another consumer superior to Black Gold but doesn't have the 'marijuana connection' that's need to bump up sales), Lakeland (sold at Loew's and Home Depot type stores), et al. Shipping soil around pretty dumb regardless because it's all made from the same base of products and select suppliers.

When I read about people using the (in)famous "LC Mix" that posted all over the web, they always have these astronomical amounts of perlite added to the base ProMix and I couldn't figure out why until I looked at the percentages listed in their product descriptions.

Turns out that gool ol' Sunshine has been bending us over on this deal. Their professional mix line (Sunshine Mix #1 through Sunshine Mix #4 which have to do with the amount of aeration amendments like perlite, pumice or vermiculite) is just chock full of these amendments at the expense of more expensive items like peat moss and/or coir.

With ProMix you're getting more soilless base allowing you to adjust to the level of perlite you wish. Smart.

LumperDawgz

• Like Like x 1
  13. Your local nursery should have 1x used nursery pots available. Talk to one which does large scale planting like they do on medians or malls and such.

1x used pots are like new and cost close to nothing.
    $1.75 for a 25 Gallon one, $.35 for a 3 Gallon over here.

14. daayuum, looks beautiful LF!

15. #36 Leapfrog, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009

Thanks CM.

Yeah that plant was literally DRIPPING from resin, kinda like a wet sponge!

16. LumperDawgz:

By the way, "GRUMPY" works for me as long as you allow us to pick your brain once in a while !! LOL

17. #38 cantharis, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009

Here is my 65 gallon SmartPot, looking forward to filling it. They now make a 200 gallon size !!!

[​IMG]

18. Yeah it is!...lol ;)

Pic was taken right after trimming. :)