14mm vs 18mm Joint Size?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by rawdney, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Hey Rawdney,
    I see you're in Oregon.
    I'm doing research now for my Dabbing (oil) video.
    Oregon has some strange rules regarding pesticides that can be used on weed.
    A reason that's important regarding concentrates is because pesticides tend to concentrate along with THC concentrations.
    So while a level of pesticide maybe approved for flowers that level will concentrate in concentrates, if that makes sense.
    In any smoking there is some risk, but my take (from my advanced age - over 60) is that the risks seem concentrated in concentrates. For what it's worth.

• Like Like x 1
  2. That makes sense. Pesticides in weed. Something I never thought of before. Most of the reading I’ve done in the last couple of days on concentrates makes me hesitate, but if I end up trying it and liking it, I wouldn’t do it more than once a week anyway and probably wouldn’t do oil and flower in the same week.

3. Just make sure you look at the dates of the articles you are reading. This industry moves incredibly fast. 2012 concentrates are very different than current ones.

4. He is right on target with his concerns.
    This article was posted yesterday:Colorado just recalled more marijuana because of illegally used pesticides

Below is a paragraph from the article:
    Before the state of Colorado began recalling pot products last month, the city of Denver issued 20 city-level recalls of marijuana products between September 2015 and February 2016. Advanced Medical Solutions was the subject of two city-level recalls on Dec. 3 and Dec. 11; It’s not yet clear if the state’s recall of AMA product is a continuation of the city’s investigations, as the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division did not immediately respond to queries on Monday.

This implies to me that pesticides in weed is an ongoing issue and that's (Colorado recreational) the regulated outlets. I'll say this very plainly: if you're buying oil off the streets you are jeopardizing your health - and I say this as an herbalist who's been involved with the plant since 1970.

5. The article that SeniorHigh posted the other day was posted in April 2015. So many articles posted on the net are posted without dates. It is a fast changing industry not yet regulated enough to keep people safe, but there will always be those money greedy people who will always try to get by the cheapest way they can, and to hell with the consequences. I’ll certainly be paying more attention to this issue now after this thread. Flower included.

6. I would only buy oil from a dispensary, but if this is happening in Colorado, which I believe has been dealing with this longer than here in Oregon, it makes me wonder about what is being delivered and sold in dispensaries here. How would it affect someone who smokes flower once a week compared to someone who smokes daily?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Who said anything about street oil?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Honestly look at the food we eat. Gmos... Loaded with pesticides. The people who regulate that are the same ones regulating the pot. You cant trust anyone. If you smoke a gram of flower a day or dab .1 of a gram a day... Whos consuming more pesticides? Thats the answer I want.

• Like Like x 2
  9. That's a great point . . .
    and people are generally aware of it and talk about the pesticides in their food.
    It doesn't hurt to talk about the science behind the products we're consuming. We become informed consumers.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I guess i may have come off combative... But we are all on the same side. I am just a concentrate lover so i guess i may get a little defensive

11. Mmmmm. Maybe I can go down to the local restaurant and order a burgercide and a side of pestifries tonight.

Pardon my strange sense of humor, but that is a good point about pesticides in our food, but maybe they are approved pesticides vs the unapproved pesticides used by pot growers?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Look at all the shit that was approved and no longer is. Its just a matter of time before they find out the current ones are just as bad.

13. Pestifries do sound good though.

14. We havent talked about "the clear" concentrate. It is some lab technique where they supposed remove 100% of the garbage. Do a google search on it. They can even take tainted bho and make it clean. May be worth a look if you want to try concentrates but are worried about other stuff being in it.

15. No probs!
    I'm not trying to slam concentrates, please understand that.
    I set out to do a video on dabbing and wanted to have some research behind it.
    I found some problematic information (which I have been much more specific about on the FC forum).
    If you're interested in the specific data I'll put it up here, it's a bit grim.

For what it's worth (and this may be a tolerance issue) dabs don't get me a whole lot more than flowers.
    So I'm a casual dabber at best.
    After my research and unless it turns out that water based hash oil tech solves the pesticide concentration issue I'll probably quit dabbing.
    I have to say that so far in my research there is nothing to indicate that WHO has less of a pesticide problem then BHO.
    I'm not saying that WHO definitely concentrates pesticides but I haven't found data that singles WHO out as a HO sans pesticide concentrations.
    And for my purposes suppositions don't fly.

For the record Washington state allows 500ppm (parts per million) of butane in its commercial BHO, Colorado allows 50ppm, while street versions of BHO have been found to contain up 50,000ppm.
    "No one is quite sure how many ppm of butane, if any, is safe to leave in BHO." -Buzzfeed 4/30/15

16. For me its more of a convience thing. I can take one hit and get back to life, instead of taking 20 mins to vape a few bowls in my airizer solo or fill a few bags of the cano. You definatly got me thinking though. Good work!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Have you looked into "the clear" yet? Just wondering your opinion on it...?

• Like Like x 1
  18. The reason there is some doubt about WBHO (Water based Hash Oil) containing concentrations of pesticides is because pesticides are considered water soluble.
    That does not mean that research is saying WBHO's are safe, it means in the data I've found regarding pesticide concentrations in HO's does not or at least has not to this time differentiated between the two styles of HO.

If you're talking about residual butane in the concentrate and you're in Colorado and you buy it from a dispensary you know the residuals will be less than 50ppm, in Washington 500ppm and I'm not sure if Oregon has legalized concentrates yet. Just remember no one is checking butane levels on the street, so if you buy BHO concentrates on the street you're shaking the dice.

19. Not sure if we are talking aboth the same thing...?