How To Make A Wooden Pipe

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by blazin_busta, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Let me start off by saying this article is for information only,

Let's get started!

First off, buy some hardwood, so that you do not burn your pipe/have harmful smoke/set your house on fire.

Okay! make shure you get a nice wooden dowel, and a block of it, the sizes to your perfernce.

If you have a drill press, this will make things easier for you, otherwise, you should have a power drill and drill bits.

You should also have a vice.

Take your block this will be your bowl, put into the vice, and gently, tighten it in,
    make shure that the drill bit you choose atleast leaves a half an inch from the edge, you do not want to crack your bowl.

Then, turn on the drill press/get power drill, Postion the the drill in the middle of the bowl, carefully, then drill your bowl.

[​IMG]

Take your bowl out of the vice,

Now to your neck, cut the dowel to your wanted length, then, put into the vice
    vertically,

Now make shure that the drill is centered, you also need to choose a bit that
    leaves good room so you do not split it, you make also have to flip it to make it all
    the way.

[​IMG]

you may want to clean out the sawdust, after you are finished,

Now to make the bowl look better, you make want to sand it round,
    also sand the inside of the bowl.

Then grab your neck, and sand both ends like in the figure,
    clean it and find a drill bit as big as the neck, then drill
    a hole into the bowel, and stick the neck through it,

then glue it ON THE OUTSIDE, together, somehow, put it into the vice,
    and keep perrsure until it drys.

[​IMG]

I have made one pipe this way, and so far, they work.

2. I've made the same thing before once in shop class. +rep

Oh. And welcome to GC! :D

3. Hey dude, not to be mean or anything, but this "tutorial" is grotesque. Perhaps, quite a bit is lost because of the poor explanation. You should search around at read about how wooden pipes are made by Tobacco Pipe affiliates, such as Dr. Grabow, etc. A quick search will give you much information about constructing such a pipe. How do I know? I make wooden tobacco pipes as a hobby. The way you are telling people to do this is possibly the worst way. You definately DO NOT want to use a dowel for the neck. The neck and bowl are most often one piece. Plus, what about the hole from the neck to bowl? What you are saying is that it is going to be the same size, a straight shot right through. You don't want this in your pipe, for the simple fact that ashes would have a straight shot into your mouth. Unless, you were going to use a screen (which is not evident by your writing). For the poor quality pipe this would make, you would be better off buying a premade pipe, or even better a BRIAR PIPE KIT. And as for the glue, if you infact did drill the pipe correctly, which would be difficult to do with a dowel, it should fit snug in the bowl, but as I said before, bowl and neck are one piece, with an added mouthpiece. I would suggest next time to read up before posting such a thread.

4. hey Randolphus could you post some of your pipes Id like to see them

5. hey, like some pictures, or a "how to.."? If it is pictures you want, I will get around to it, or maybe i'll make a "how to.." by making a new pipe...hmm, but usually I give them away as presents and keep only a few for myself. I'll see what I can do:) . Thanks for the interest! Fine pipe craftmanship is hard to find.

6. Hey guys, I've got some pics of a couple of my pipes. The first is a Bison, it is a traditional tobacco pipe, except it's a Bison. heh. The second was a funny one I thought up, a Toilet Bowl. heh I'm working on a new one with a "How To". It will be a standard pipe, which the maker can have some fun with. When I am smoking tobacco, I smoke Velvet Pipe Tobacco. Just thought I would stick that in there.

Attached Files:

7. The Bison was a more difficult one, that hand to be hand etched, plus eyes and horns had to be glued on. The toilet bowl was an easier one, the main bowl was routered though and the lid was attached with a small hinge. As soon as I finish the tutorial I'll post it. Right now I am actually carving the bowl of a mini pipe I made a few days ago. I'll post pics of that before and after when I'm done, well here's a before shot. It looks big and bulky, well that's because it is. That's how they start out, especially when you carve the bowl. And by mini, I mean the stem is short, but the bowl is regular size. I wasn't planning on having it be a mini, but I discovered I had no more long stems left. so it's a mini. I'll get some more stems, eventually. heh

Attached Files:

8. those wip pics, kinda look like the ones i made, except I never carved anything into them.

9. what are "wip pics"?

10. Work In Progress

11. that makes sense. :p

12. where do you buy the stems from and that bison is awesome

13. oh man, awesome, you have inspired me, tomorrow i'll pick up some hardwood and make me a nice piece, no more ghetto shit :hello:

also, i am hoping with some luck i could just put the stem into the hole which will be like a millimeter bigger than the stem and it will fit just right, is this possible?

repz

14. alright, i drew up a plan for what im going to be doing

tell me if this is correct thanks

Attached Files:

• repz.jpg
      repz.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views: