135W Blackstar LED Closet grow-- White Indica and Skunk #1

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by CarloMarx, Jan 13, 2012.

1. #1 CarloMarx, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    Well GC, I’ve decided that it is time to give the great indoors a try. I received two freebies—White Indica from Ceres Seeds and Skunk #1 from White Label Seeds—with my outdoor order for the spring. Additionally, I will be growing one unknown bagseed. Everything is going to be under a 135W Blackstar LED and two supplemental CFLs in my closet. Both plants will be grown organically in soil with minimal fertilizer use during the first half of the grow. I am not going to worry about odor control until I switch to 12/12. But when that happens I will most like be using a Vaportek odor eliminator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soil Mix:
    Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic- A slightly acidic peat based soil with added compost and Endomycorrhiza.
    Vermiculite
    Perlite
    Worm Castings
    Jobe’s Organics Vegetable Fertilizer- Contains the beneficial microorganism Archaea that aggressively breaks down organic materials for more efficient nutrient uptake.

The quantities of each aren’t exact so I can’t post the amounts. I just start with a bunch of Pro-Mix and starting mixing everything else in by feel.

[​IMG]

I plan on vegging these girls for somewhere around 6 weeks and then flowering for about 7 to 8. That should give these things ample time to grow as many colas as possible (with help from my training).

Right now I don’t have any fans running in the cab. However, I will be making a hole in the cab for a PC fan that is to be used for exhaust. In addition to this, I have two fans that can run within the cab itself if more airflow is needed. As of now , the cab is stable at 78 degrees with the LED and the CFLs running.

The distance from the light to the plants is around 7 inches.

I'm starting the seeds in 5 inch pots until they are big enough to transplant into my #1 and #2 Geopots.

Due to low humidity I will be adding a small humidifier to the setup within the next three days.

Okay, I think that’s about it! I will continue to edit this post if I remember anything else when I start coming down from these bongs rips!

Cheers, GC :smoke:

[​IMG]
    By carlomarx1 at 2012-01-12

2. Looks like a nice mix. Looking forward to seeing what kind of results you get off the blackstar.

3. Thanks man, same here. I'm impressed with it so far, but only time will tell.

4. i almost got one of those blackstars hope it goes, sub'd

5. Hopefully I'll be able to show that they are worth the buy. For me, they were the only option. I don't have room for an HPS or anything. I also can't handle a lot of of heat, so LED was perfect for me.

6. #6 DrBackwoodz, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    same with me bro I just got a HSS ppf-800 LED , its my newest video onmy youtube channel check it out whenever u got time
    1" thick light , No Fans No heat 6watt diodes

7. sub'd, ill be using this exact light for my next micro grow so would love to see how she performs

8. I think you'll probably be happy with the blackstar -- the only thing I would worry about is the wattage you're at. For me it would not be enough wattage to produce the yields I want. But I'm a pretty heavy user :) I'd go through what I grew on a 135w in a couple of weeks probably :)

9. Yeah, I can see that. I'm not really shooting for a huge yield since it's still kind of a micro grow. I would be happy with a quarter ounce per plant, but I'm still hoping I can beat that by a little.

Just a little update. All three plants have broke the surface and are taking in the rays. The Skunk #1 is currently the biggest and healthiest.

10. yay more led micros!! Mine is only 10w though lol you should be more successful me thinks

11. I'm thinking about getting this led, where did you get it and about how much was it? Subscribed btw :)

12. I bought it on Ebay from Gotham Hydroponics. They sell the 100W and other versions on Amazon. I was originally just going to get the smaller light, but then I saw a 135W Blackstar on ebay for 180 so I decided to go for it.

13. i was looking at these. kinda wanted to pick one up, but i want to see what they can do BY THEMSELVES. that being said, id have a way more space efficient grow box.

14. Yeah, I'm really excited to see what this thing can do by itself.

What do you mean when you say "more space efficient?"

15. Both the White Indica and Skunk #1 broke the soil at the end of last week. The skunk is really growing pretty fast. It has fully formed its first two leaves (not cotyledons) and is starting another set.

The White Indica is growing quite slowly. It took a little longer to break the surface and open it's leaves. But it has started began growth above its cotyledons.

I altered my setup just a little bit by adding a humidifier to keep the humidity levels up in the 40% range. It would sometimes drop down to 15%. Other than that, everything is the same and is running smoothly.

16. Just stoppin' by to say that things are going well. This weekend will be two full weeks from seed. Expect some pictures :smoke:

The only minor issue I've encountered is a little bit of heat stress on the Skunk #1. I put it under some CFLs one day while I had the LED disconnected for a little while. The ventilation must not have been sufficient and the leave tops received minor burns. All of the new growth is completely healthy and green.

The White Indica is growing, but quite slowly. She is still a lot smaller when comparing to the skunk. Hopefully she kicks in soon.

Just ripped a couple trenches out of my MFLB :smoke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th4SwSpaRWU&ob=av2e]Amos Lee - Arms Of A Woman - YouTube[/ame]

17. #17 CarloMarx, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
    I forgot to mention that I switched to an 18/6 lighting cycle. Right or wrong, I feel that it gives the plants a little more of a natural environment. I'll be back soon with some pictures!

:wave:

18. Where are those pics bro :p

19. [quote name='"CarloMarx"']I forgot to mention that I switched to an 18/6 lighting cycle. Right or wrong, I feel that it gives the plants a little more of a natural environment. I'll be back soon with some pictures!

:wave:[/quote]

Subbed

18/6 is great
    I usually do it that way except this current grow which I have it at 17/7 for personal reasons not related to the plants

I see no difference from 18/6-17/7 tbh
    The only numbers that really matter are 12/12 heheh

Your skunk should be good so long as you don't keep burning the foliage anymore :p

Loving the setup

20. I can assure you that mistake will not take place again :D

Thanks for stoppin' by man. I'm glad to have you along for the ride. The setup is pretty simple and pretty solid (in my own humble opinion). The Skunk is really lovin' it. I plan on getting a couple pictures up this weekend.