12v pc fan wiring question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Stoned fry, Mar 9, 2013.

1. I have a question regarding wiring multiple pc fans to a 12 v transformer.
    Firstly , yes I will have more than adequate milliamps to run the 3 fans.
    It's for a 70w hps pc case I'm building.
    I will be running a 120mm for the exhaust, an 80mm for general airflow and a 60mm to blow over the hps.
    I want to run the extraction fan at 100% and the 2 other fans at 50%.
    Am I right in thinking that if I have 2 outputs from the transformer , the first one going straight from the transformer, then through the 120mm fan then back to the transformer , and the second out put going from the transformer to the 80mm fan then straight into the 60mm fan then back to the transformer , that this will give me the 120mm running at 100% and the 80 and 60mm running at 50% each??
    Make sense to you??
    I'm going to have a go tomorrow unless anyone can tell me a good reason not to or a better way to do it.
    All wires will be soldered and then covered with heat shrink. I never do a half assed job with wiring.
    Thanks. :)

Delivering your shit via Planet express

2. why not use the 12v for the 120mm fan and a 5v-9v for the remaining fans?

3. yes, if you run the two smaller fans in series instead of parallel they will get half the voltage. but why not just let them run full? those are pretty small fans, having them run at full power will make their job more efficient

4. #4 Stoned fry, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
    I would like to use as little amount of transformers as possible. To try and keep the inside as tidy and uncluttered as possible.

I thought running them on full would be overkill as its only a pc case. I want to try and keep it negative presure inside the box to avoid smell leeks. I was worried running them full pelt may create a smell leak.

dde80 Delivering your shit via Planet express dde8

5. #5 GoldGrower, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
    is one of them an intake then? I thought you said they were circulation fans inside, one blowing at the bulb and the other at the plants

what's your plans to deal with the smell?

6. Passive intake. The 2 small fans for circulation and the 120mm fan extracting out of the back into a store bought 4" carbon filter.
    Sorry should of made that a bit clearer.

** Delivering your shit via Planet express **

7. so what do you mean about keeping negative pressure then?

8. By negative presure I mean that there is no smell leaks fim the box. I.e all the air expelled is going out via the filter.

9. yes I know that but you said you have an exhaust fan but no intake fan, yet your worried about having positive pressure so your going to lower the speed of your inside circulation fans. that makes no sense

10. #10 Stoned fry, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
    I'm just worried that the circulation fans will push some of the air out of some of the smaller gaps I've been unable to seal if they are running at too high speed.
    I have decided the best thing to do is wire in a fan controler and just play a out with the fan speeds till I'm happy. :)

11. That make Sense? Did to me but reading it back, i m not do sure. Shouldn't type while stoned. Lol!!

** Delivering your shit via Planet express **[​IMG]

12. you may not want to do this but adding an intake fan massively helps with ridding heat. passive intakes put a lot of load on the exhaust fan. it slows the pc fans quite a bit. I'm assuming you will have a carbon filter? that will slow the fan down also