12 Volt Fan Set up..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thenewkevsters, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ok, i got a 12v computer pc fan and a 14v hookup. is that ok or am i going to screw up my can and have to have a 12v?

2. i'm not entirely sure, and no one has responded yet, but i'd say that is typically a no-go since you're over-volting the fan, which has a tendency to cause fires, and make the fan spin faster than it should or is rated for. i think, however, if the amperage on the 14v is lower than the amperage rating on the 12vfan to compensate the overall wattage running, that it might be able to work. i don't know for sure though, and i would definitely recommend getting the right power supply.

3. ya. its just i looked at radioshack and their like 25 bucks. which in my eyes is kinda expensive to just be cutting the wire to connect it to my fan.

4. Should be fine might shorten the life of the motor as long as power supply is DC and motor is DC.

5. no it will burn out the fan and its not safe.....might catch fire depending how cheap the fan is!

cant you go to a local thrift shop or salvation army, they always have a really cheap electronics section where they sell adapters and crap. i bought 4 for 2 bucks! cant go worong at the thrift shops bro!

be safe

Bp:cool:

6. ok. that will be my last resort. well i found one thats 12v... but my fan says Current: 0.15 A and the adapter is 500mA. Is that ok. or does the current have to match up to?

7. Dude I probably have fifteen 12v wall-warts sitting around my house. Everything comes with a 12v wall-wart. Just look through your old crap, or hit a salvation army/goodwill and look through the old electronics junk there.

Besides, the 14v one will work fine, the motors will just run fast/hot and not last as long, or run them in series and they will each only get 7v (will run slower and much quieter).

A new 1amp 12v wall-wart goes for $7 shipped on Ebay...

GL!

8. You want adapter to have a higher current rating so 500mA=.5A so it should work fine

9. thanks jimmy, thats the answer i've been waiting for.