12 Days into Veg - Showing sex already?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by birdcheep, Jan 31, 2009.

1. #1 birdcheep, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
    Sorry i dont have a camera so i have to do some explaining. here it goes.:eek:

plant/my specs:

my first time growing
    Romulan bag seed
    2 65 watt CFLs 6500k mounted about 3 inches above the top of the plant
    light cycle 20/4
    some organic planting soil
    the plant looks a very healthy green, the leaves feel soft almost silky.
    stems are very hairy with purple stripes! :D
    the plant is 4-5'' tall and about 5'' across on the top from left to right leaves

12 days ago my romulan seed popped out of the soil and entered the veg stage.

4 days into veg it sprouted out 2 big (singles) fan leaves

7 days into veg it sprouted a its first 3 leaf sets has 2 sets now

10 days into veg it sprouted out its first 5 leaf sets has 2 decent sized sets and 2 more sets of 5 (still small) growing out of the middle..

11-12 days into veg (yesterday and today) i noticed these small pincher like hair things coming off the areas that start to branch off (at the base/joints), i know pistils are females and pollen sacs are male.. Also these "pistils" are covered in hairs and are way smaller (all "pistils" about 1/16'') than normal green plant growth, they really look like small pinchers from a bug.

Question is do they show there sex this early? or is this some sort of growth coming out of the plant?

Or is it starting to flower?

Or are they branches coming out?

Thanks for any legit response :wave:

2. Sounds like pre flowers. Nothing to worry about and now you know you have some girls. ;)

3. pre flower pistils grow during the veg stage??

4. When I first read the O.P., I was sure he was talking about new growth. Even if they are pre-flowers, aren't they pretty indistinguishable m/f at such an early point? Sounds like he's barely on his third node...

How big is the plant at this point? 6"?

5. #5 birdcheep, Jan 31, 2009
    the growth is very new, but still you can see it with the naked eye, i scope it with a 10x mag glass and it just gets bigger, go figure.

the plant is 4-5'' tall and about 5'' across on the top from left to right leaves, if you catch my drift

im not worried or anything i just want to know whats up, trying to learn.

6. #6 FenceWalker, Jan 31, 2009
    That's why they're called pre flowers. ;)

Kind of unusual to see them so quick (usually in my experience they show up 4-6 weeks into veg) but when I was growing Top44 they showed up real early as well, so not unheard of.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. cool thanks

8. It does sound too early for preflowers... but shit does happen wish you had pics. Just fyi pree flowers usually appear between the 4th and 5th node at about 3 weeks some sooner some later but if they are way low on the plant its probably new growth

9. You said that he knew he'd have girls, based on the pre-flowers you saw... What about them looks female? I've seen similar looking pre-flowers go either way.

10. ^^^^ exact question i was wondering ^^^^

11. If the pre flowers are hairs (which I've never seen pre flowers that are balls, but anyway), than that shows the plant is going to be a female (or possibly hermi, I guess).

I've never, in 7 years of growing, seen female pre flowers on a plant and then the plant was a male. I guess it could happen, just never to me.

12. #12 jp111, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
    birdcheep is this what your'e talking about? This is from a 2 week old plant working on its 4th node.

notice that the second picture is actually just above the cotyledons

Is that normal or are those preflowers??

Attached Files:

13. stipules. no sex showing whatsoever

14. zpyro is 100% right

15. It sounds like you are desribing the spot where your plant will show its sex. When the plant hits between 5 and 6 weeks that the spots where either 2 pretty little hairs will pop out or the dreaded balls. It will usually show at the top portion of the plant first. Best of luck hope this helps..:p