12/12 vs. 24/7 for month?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Zeke335, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Whats the difference here things like vegitation time, yeild and flowering time. I'm just guessing but under 12/12 you would expect 2 months of vegitation? is that correct? If so the yeild should be fine.

Am I wrong? is there a difference in yeild? I've just started the gemermation prcess so I need to know quick if aruing for a month of 24 hours a day is worth it.

Anyone know?

2. Yes, you are wrong.

The 12/12 light cycle is for flowering. You aren't vegging under 12/12.

Very simply, the vegitative stage comes first, and for as long or short as you want. It requires long periods of light -- some never turn lights off during veg -- and blue spectrum light in the 6500k range. The flowering stage is during 12/12 lighting with red spectrum 2700k light. Generally, the longer you veg the more you will grow out the plant and therefore the greater your yield per plant.

Some growers skip veg entirely and go straight to flowering, which might not maximize yield per plant but can turn over the crop quickly and can handle a lot more of smaller plants in a given space.

You need to read up, check the grow guides and sticky posts at the top of this and the beginners' forums.

3. your plants desperately need that night cycle in veg growth
    so
    i guess my question is are you going to leave them on 24 and off 7 or keep them on 24/7

4. Heres a simple break down of how it works...

you have LONG hot summer days for vegging... lots of long light plants beef up...

then you have short autum days with warm sunshine and cooler nights but the days are much shorter... this signals your plant to bloom... mate... and peace...

In our cases we dont want any of that mating shit... but heres how it can work..

24 hours of light consistantly till your plants are where you want them before vegging.
    18 on 6 off works well too but takes a little longer-- about a month
    where as the 24 hours a day you can bang out your plants to desired hight in 2 - 3 weeks depending on your lights..

Then for the flowering cycle.. no questions asked... 12 on 12 off....

Ive done what i call "shocking" the plant... where the first 2 days of the new light cycle i actually only have the light on for 10 hours... then 14 off.. this is a SUREFIRE way to get the message across that you want buds asap. this isnt a reccomended method but i have a few strains that sometimes just dont get the picture.

Anymore questions dosnt hesitate to ask

5. On for 24 and off for 7? i wanna live somewhere where theres 31 hour days.... ide get so much more time to smoke... and my plants would have all the time in the world to get hugetastic

6. When Vegetating plants always keep your light on 24/7 Any other lighting schedule is just waste of time.This is the main advantage of growing indoors you can manipulate the elements such as constant light to encourage faster and more vigorous growth. By allowing the plants to grow non-stop they will reach a mature state and be ready to flower much quicker.

7. I think the guy is a little confused... when we say 24/7 we mean 24 hour light with no dark period

8. It was a fight to get the lights on for a mere 12 hours a day at my house.
    But I'm looking for maximum yeild here. If I can't keep the light on for 24 hours for a month. How about 14-16 hours for 2 months of vegitation would that work? or will it still flower quickly with 14-16 hours?

9. Imagine your plants not growing well... then imagine 14 hours veg....

same images right? yeah...

18 on minimum for the veg mate... 14 just aint gunna cut it...

the only time that would work.. and still low yield... would be with some autoflowering strains like lowrider or whatnot... 18 on then 12 on.... just tell your mom god would be pissed if she didnt let you grow his favorite plant due to some dollars on the elec bill..

also try offering to pay up your end... when i grew at home with my folks my mom let me run two 400 watt HPS's as long as i footed my end of the bill... try it... and if your like "aww boo hoo i gotta get a jorb" then you shouldnt be growin in the first place..

Good luck mate

10. In a book I have called The marijuana growers guide. It say's you can leaves the light on for 16 to 18 hours to let it veg for a few months in the book it says let it veg like this for 2-3 months. Then cut back to 12/12 when they're ready. I think I might try this. I think I'll give this method a go. Have alook I attached the page.

Attached Files:

11. I would like to keep them the lights on 24 hours a day for a month but on my last grow it was a hassle just to be allowed to use 12 hours of light. I think I might just do what the books says and leave the light on for 16 hours a day for 2-3 months to veg. Most likly veg it for 2 months if it looks good enough I'll cut to 12/12 if not I'll wait a 3rd month

12. There are different opinions on whether MJ plants need a "rest" preriod of dark during veg. Many growers say that the need for a rest is a myth. There has been much debate on this issue.

Some use a veg light cycle with a dark period for what is a more practical reason (or what they believe to be a more practical reason) -- either to save on the electric bill or to control heat in the grow space, or both. Proponents of 24/0 say that you don't save on the electric bill because, they contend, you slow your growth and therefore have to veg for longer anyway, so to veg out the plant to the same amount of growth will take the same amount of light time, so no savings on the electric bill after all (or so they say).

I've tried it both ways and have not found that the plant suffers from having no dark period during veg. But I also haven't found a major time savings by being on 24/0 vs. 18/6 -- the 24/0 was quicker, true, but the 18/6 growth was only slightly behind the 24/0 and so did result in a little bit of electricity savings. But there were not controlled scientific experiments, just one person trying it one way with a small number of plants then another way with an equally small number of plants.

I do use 18/6 during veg for temp control -- I grow in a cab in my garage so am exposed to some ambient temp swings, and so a lights-off period in the middle of the heat of the day helps me to keep a constant temp in the grow space.

13. the fact of the matter is were all right and were all wrong.. we all use diffrent lights, all have diffrent enviroments for our grow... the 24 hours for the first 3 weeks might work for me but not person B or C person D might get great results from 18/6. do what you can do... try other options and test for yourself, having a "guide" to grow by is always nice but we all have to learn from our own experiances so try what what you want and see what works best

happy growin mate

14. I agree nice lil thread though. Shows a bit of diversity between growers. Interesting.

Personally I'm might do what the book says and let veg 16/8 for 2 months then get to 12/12. This is only my second grow and I think 16 hours would be a bit of a bother to the house hold. So I'm going to plant 4. Already got 2 dinafem fem white widows gernin' and 1 dutch passion. I hate this part!! I just....hate germing.

Safe Growing

Zeke Masters

15. we all hate germing.. cause we want instapot lol. BUT as for that "2 months" time period... thats just standard.. dont forget the plant will double or triple in size when you cut to floweing.. so a 2 foot plant could be 4 - 6 feet tall and wide as hell if your not careful.. so think about that and your desired hight. and then pop over to 12/12

16. wouldn't a 16/8 veg period just stretch the plant? 8 hours of dark is pretty long for veg, it'll just be stretching for light, just like it does in the beginning of flower period, at least thats my thought. i could be totally wrong.

17. Stretching occures when the plants have to reach for the lights due to lack of light or just improper lighting distance.. the length of the light cycle has minimal to no effect on "stretch"

18. During a plants sleep time the plant wont stretch,or use co2.During the 12/12 remember to set the 12hrs lights on during the time you wish to care for and admire them and dont EVER give them a glimps of any light(except a green light) during flowering,not 99% but 100% pitch dark for best results.

19. Thank god. I made the mistake of having the light too high last time. Probably why my Dutch Passion fem Hermid on me.

This time I got it closer but it's a HPS light and they get hot. Is half a metre close enough? or will that brun or strech the plant?

20. :laughing: I'm glad someone else thought the same thing...