12/12 method from seed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mr diesal, Jun 22, 2012.

1. hey all,

A question for people that have done the 12/12 from seed method, do you use just bloom nutrients while grow or veg as well?

2. veg until it flowers, then bloom.

3. so veg nutrients in 12/12 from seed then bloom nutrients when u want to start flowering?

4. Nope...switch to bloom nutes when it shows signs of flowering...it's already in 12/12, so as soon as it's mature enough, it'll flower...

5. when did you start using bloom nutrients once seed was planted

6. :confused:

This ^^^...but switch to bloom nutes when it shows signs of flowering...you won't decide when it starts flowering as the light is already 12/12...the plant will start to flower by itself when it's mature enough, much like an auto, if you give it 12/12 light from seed....

7. ohh so you just water until the plant starts flower then use the bloom nutes

8. Plant the seed. If you are growing in dirt that has been amended with organic nutes you probably won't need any veg nutes. If you are growing in a sterile medium like coco or rockwool, start with mild veg nutes as soon as the seedling is transplanted, and step up the nute strength as the plant grows.
    You started the plant with 12/12 light so as soon as it is old enough to preflower (show sex) it will be time to switch to bloom formula nutes. Depending upon strain, this usually takes about 5 weeks or more. Some go faster.

9. thanks for breaking it down.. appreciate it

10. not to hijack your thread, but If doing this method, what can you expect to yield per plant in comparison to vegging in 18/6 until flower?

11. Not quite sure, Im a new grower but it varies from what ive read on other forums

12. With a CFL grow the 12/12 from seed I had was a lot lot less. Also there was some serious bud mold because the plants looked like dense grapefruit looking things and the light couldn't penetrate, and threw away half. My fault for doing that method with CFL though

13. well at the moment I have 3 plants that I just switched to 12/12 yesterday, was thinking about germing some lemon kush seeds a buddy gave me and put them in my grow cabinet and see what I can't yield on them

14. Niceee, im germing some ak-47 seeds right now and wondering if I should do the 12/12 grow still

15. All- Not to insult anyone's grow method, not my intent, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this. Everything about yield and bud quality gets set up from a good vegetative growth cycle. I suppose if you had an extreme microgrow with little or no space to work with, the 12/12 method from seed would keep you from overgrowing your grow chamber, but it's not going to save time and it's going to be at the expense of bud quality when done.
    If you have extreme headroom problems, a better solution would be to set up a simple small single plant SCROG system. The quality output is going to be soooo much better.
    Another option would be to start from clone, veg a little, then bloom. Since clones carry forward from the age of their mother, they should be ready to bloom witin a week to 10 days of switching to 12/12, and not waste that 4-5 weeks a seedling takes to start its bloom cycle.

Then again, I hope I never get too old to learn new tricks, so if someone can give a meaningful explanation as to why 12/12 from seed is a good idea, I'm all ears!!!

16. my purpose for doing it is cause my pc grow box isn't extremely big thats why I want to or id do 18/6 veg n 12/12 bloom

17. OK, sweet, that's the only reason I could speculate. There was no such thing as PC's when I started growing, so I never got the chance to try that!!!
    Have you ever tried LST / low stress training? You can accomplish the same effect with a small SCROG screen, just pull the vegetative growth back under the screen until it's about 75% covered. When you flip the light to 12/12, the plant will stretch for about 10-14 days, just keep pulling them back under the screen. When it actually starts to flower at each branch / node, the baby calyx is allowed through the screen & upward.
    Nice thing about this is that only the bud grows above the screen so it keeps your headroom where you need to be.
    Food for thought, hope this is helpful & bestaluck to ya.

18. I was thinking about that as well, I got a bunch on pipe cleaners that I could use to hold down the plant to LST, just put holes in the edge of the pot to put them in

19. Thanks, SS, pretty informative article, and confirmed what I expected from past experience - it controls headroom. "Plants grown this way do not grow as tall as they would if given a vegetation phase."
    The claimed yields would have to be from following their SOG-like technique of more plants per square foot; NOT from the 12/12 regimen alone. "The shape of the plants is also different, losing much of their natural ‘bush' quality. Our plants tend to be shaped like a “pole,” with the main bud formation happening along the main stem of the plant. This allows the grower to fit more plants per square foot/meter."

Another good sign of creativity, and necessity being the mother of invention. I don't think I'll be throwing away my SCROG screens and veg spectrum lights yet, but then again the only PC chassis I've got is the one driving this keyboard :D

Bestaluck to ya.