12/12 grow from seed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gordiniman, Sep 13, 2011.

1. im starting a 12/12 grow to conserve space and its my first grow so
    id like more info about the 12/12 method.

2. [quote name='"gordiniman"']im starting a 12/12 grow to conserve space and its my first grow so
    id like more info about the 12/12 method.[/quote]

wow...haha. lets begin.
    either:
    1) go to google.com and search 'how to grow marijuana' and READ AS MUCH AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN,
    or
    2) look through the stuff on this website.

listen. 12/12 is talking about the amount of light your plant is receiving. a marijuana plantsFIRST needs to break it's seed, turning into a sproutling. once that happens and it gets some sets of leaves, then it begins it's VEGETATIVE state (botanical talk for it's growing phase). now many growers use 18/6, which means:
    18 HOURS OF LIGHT, 6 HOURS OF DARKNESS.
    you can change that up, however, and use 20/4, 24/0, etc. the choice is yours.

so, once your plants gets tall enough, then you switch the lighting to 12/12, because in order for your cannabis plant to start producing buds, it NEEDS 12 hours of DARKNESS, minimum.

listen bro. don't be afraid to explain everything. have you started yet? please fucking god tell me no..

3. Heya,

Personally, I'd avoid a full 24-hour cycle, as this can cause light based stress to some species. Plants need to 'sleep' just like we do. In fact, their leafs even droop down as they 'rest' and then perk back up during the day. Stressed plants can develop all kinds of issues, from stunted growth to going hermaphrodite.

You can veg the plant as long as you like before switching to 12:12 to force it to flower. The reason 12:12 forces flowering is because it simulates the changing of the seasons, while 18:6 or 20:4 light cycles simulate the summer growing months.

The important thing to remember is that when you switch to 12:12, your plant will still double or even triple in size.

Starting 12-12 from the get-go will cause the plant to flower nearly as soon as it is possible, even as early as 2 weeks, which will result in a dwarfed plant. (The specific strain also plays a factor, so make sure to research that point.)

If an intentionally dwarfed plant is your goal, then by all means go for it. But if you hope to produce a larger plant, then you are inadvertently hindering that goal. (Which I think may be your desire, since you mentioned a need to conserve space.)

Another option would be for you to use a product called Bushmaster, which halts vertical growth. Use this when your plant reaches optimal height during flowering, after you veg her out. A vegged plant will typically produce more due to the extra bud nodes you've allowed it time to develop.

Cheers.

4. Quite a few people have done it. You will end up with a short, small yielding plants but it can definitely be done. Look through the indoor grow journals and you will find some examples.

5. I'd wait until your plants are 6-8" tall before sending them into flower.

6. i dont have alot of space and ive read all about the regular method but im planing on doing 12/12 from the seed. the problem is i cant find very many good sources of info on that method

7. To intentionally dwarf a plant, put it in a small container (a 2 liter pop bottle, for example) and use 12:12 lighting. Restrict nutes to about 1/2 strength, starting at 1/4 and slowly working your way up. Trim back a few fan leafs as needed to allow light to hit lower bud growth; this will help the buds grow and also restrict size.

Training the plant through tying methods can also be helpful.

Remember that 12:12 will also shorten the lifespan of the plant, so be alert for when it enters flower.

8. [quote name='"gordiniman"']i dont have alot of space and ive read all about the regular method but im planing on doing 12/12 from the seed. the problem is i cant find very many good sources of info on that method[/quote]

wow. nevermind then, haha. I thought you had no idea what you were talking about, but I was the clueless one. didn't even know you could grow a plant from start to finish with 12/12. thanks for teaching me a little something, friend.

[quote name='"GaiaGuy"']To intentionally dwarf a plant, put it in a small container (a 2 liter pop bottle, for example) and use 12:12 lighting. Restrict nutes to about 1/2 strength, starting at 1/4 and slowly working your way up. Trim back a few fan leafs as needed to allow light to hit lower bud growth; this will help the buds grow and also restrict size.

Training the plant through tying methods can also be helpful.

Remember that 12:12 will also shorten the lifespan of the plant, so be alert for when it enters flower.[/quote]

good post.

9. [quote name='"GaiaGuy"']Heya,

Personally, I'd avoid a full 24-hour cycle, as this can cause light based stress to some species. Plants need to 'sleep' just like we do. In fact, their leafs even droop down as they 'rest' and then perk back up during the day. Stressed plants can develop all kinds of issues, from stunted growth to going hermaphrodite.

[/quote]

Cannabis is a C3 plant. Doesn't require darkness (except to flower, excluding autoflowering strains) Basic botany.

10. /\/\/\/\ I second this

11. i just planted some seeds today haha i hope this works..

12. that would be a good competition... who can grow the most with 12/12 only.. one plant... in a 3 oz. container... lol.... thats kicking it up a notch.. .

13. haha im just tryin not to spend as much money on buds

14. Doing virtually 12/12 from seed right now on one plant. About 19 inchs tall now ready in about 30-40 days. I veged for less then a week.

15. Look up my party cup grow thread! Good luck

16. post the link to it?

17. Cannabis is a C3 plant. Doesn't require darkness (except to flower, excluding autoflowering strains) Basic botany.[/quote]

While cannabis does not require darkness during veg (and never, if auto-flowering), it will grow faster without it: 33% faster than the same plant grown on 18:6. Depending on the needs of the gardener, this may or may not be desired. For someone who wants to grow on 12:12 for the purpose of intentionally stunting the plant’s growth (like the OP), I believe that 24:0 would be counterproductive.

Most people seeking to extend control of their plants growth would likewise be advised to use 18:6 or 20:4, which is why I feel these cycles are so often recommended. My comments in this thread were shaped by the needs of the OP.

My opening comment was a statement about most Plantae in general and not specific to cannabis. I did say ‘to some species’, though I now see how that point may have been unclear. I thank you for your comment. I’m sure it will provide the OP with more food for thought.

18. yo thats sick how much do plants yield using 12/12 method

19. [quote name='"gordiniman"']yo thats sick how much do plants yield using 12/12 method[/quote]

most likely a little less than if you were to grow with an 18/6 schedule since the plant will jump straight into flower the moment its ready rather than vegging up.