12/12 from seed VS vegetating for 14 days

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by moonquasar, May 26, 2011.

1. What difference is there (if any) between starting seeds at 12/12 OR vegging for the first two weeks (at 24/0, 20/4, 18/6, etc) then flipping to 12/12?

The reason I ask is because from all the reading I've done about 12/12 from seed, plants never show sex until 14days bare minimum. My thought is that giving them a few weeks of longer light cycle at the beginning will help them mature faster over all.

Any thoughts?

2. From my research, vegging allows the plant to grow height and bushy wise. In the end you get more of a yield with the more you veg.

3. The potency and yield will dramatically suffer if the plant is forced to flower before it has matured.. Depending on strain, most strains mature around 6-8 weeks... You can tell the plant has matured and is ready for flowering when the fan leaves start growing staggered, as opposed to directly across from each other...

Plants grow vegetation when they are supplied light, during the dark period or night, they do more stretching.. Thus the 18/6 balance of light and dark which has been suggested over the years for a marijuana grow....

4. Not true. Read around here and other MJ sites. Numerous people do st8 12/12 and get some excellent results. Plants are not giagantic but alot prety good size.

5. #5 moonquasar, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies so far. No one has actually answered my question though.
    Perhaps no one has made a good test yet?
    It should be easy to do a trial. I think I'll give it a go in a couple months...
    How's this for the method: get several seeds of the same strain, the closer the genetics the better.
    Start some of the seeds on 20/4, then 14 days later, start the rest of them and switch to 12/12.
    Take note of when each plant first shows sex and when each plant finishes.
    Does that sound solid?
    What other developmental differences could be noted? Time till alternating nodes develop, total weight when finished, etc.
    Edit: Female to Male ratio would be an interesting thing to record as well.

• Like Like x 1

6. I intend to try it on 4 plants for my 3rd grow..will be a little while though. 1st Grow is Flowering, 2nd are autoflowerings vegging right now.

I think your plan is solid.

Here are some links to some 12/12 on here and another site. Don't let the naysayers who never have done it stop you! We got some mj zealots on this site if you don't do it this way or that way then your a fail. Try it dude!

From what I read you can get some really good bud just the plant is not as bushy and not as tall.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/821306-12-12-seed-thread.html

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

7. Oh yeah, those are some great threads. I can't believe del66666 getting 80g on a plant. That's epic. For my first grow, I'm hoping for somewhere between 5g and 30g. I read the first 60pgs or so of that icmag 12/12 dif way 2 grow thread. I'm inspired by atmosphere's style of just putting all the plants into one large tray. I'm thinking of doing the same but using a perlite drip system instead of soil. (check out the attached diagram)

Haha, yeah. I would smoke some of that 'fail' 12/12 bud anyday. :smoke:
    Seriously it would be sweet to grow out a plant and veg it till it's a tree but it seems so much more economical and stealthy to flower as soon as possible.

Attached Files:

• grid.png
      grid.png
      File size:
      986.4 KB
      Views:

8. If you look at these pics in the threads, the plants resemble SOG grown plants...

Sure it works, but can you point me to a thread where a study was done and 2 grows were done side by side???

All I'm saying, sure the plants will grow and flower that way, but who is to say that plant(s) would not have been WAY better if allowed to mature???

Without a side by side study from a 3rd party with no interest in the fight, I personally am not convinced, because you find so much BAD information online, it's not funny...

Shit I seen one post where a guy said two 4x4 chambers are the same as one 8x8 chamber, and thus 2000w was more than enough light for the 8x8 chamber... :rolleyes:

Good luck on your grow moonquasar, may ALL you buds be totally :metal:

9. I agree but seeds are cheap so are the other materials if you have your set up. The way I see it its a hobby for me and certainly the quality will be better then the douche that sells it for the most part..so why not. What matters is that you had fun learned some stuff and happy with your bud.

10. You are totally right!
    I would love to test that out someday too.
    Start some seeds under 12/12 and start some seeds under 20/4, then switch to 12/12 as soon as the first alt nodes show.
    After that, compare the grams/Watt hours and the quality of the product. I'm sure I cold convince some friends to help me do a double blind smoke test. :devious::D

11. Ya, I too would love to put this to the test...

BUT, I most likely would be bias in the study, because I truly believe that potency and yield would dramatically suffer if the plant is forced to flower before it has matured.

Well maybe not dramatically, but in my opinion you would get a better yield and better quality smoke if you allow them to mature...

rhapsodyrcks is right, in most grows, it is not about what's right and wrong, it's ALL about enjoying watching your garden grow...

Have fun moonquasar, because that is what it is all about!!
    Start a grow journal and we can all watch your grow... :bongin:

12. SOG growers do it all the time and over time as they get built up they harvest one a week. Never have I heard one say that potency has been diminished. One growers thread on another forum showed a 36 plant SOG in a base cabinet grow box using stadium style. He was harvesting 4 plants a week with an average dry wt pull of 20 G a week!!!!!

13. I know Blake, but maybe you can point me to a thread where a study was done and 2 grows were done side by side for an accurate comparison???

Again, the point I was trying to make, without a side by side study from a 3rd party with no interest in the fight, how do we know that the SAME plants in them posts would have not been more potent and/or larger yields???

Really, without the side by side comparison, how does ANYONE know the plants will grow the same using the 12/12 from seed compared to allowing it to mature first...

See my point??? :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
  14. That's why it's a blind smoke test [​IMG]
    I remember an anecdotal report where peeps had grown out a seed 12/12 but also taken a clone, then later vegged the clone and grew it out. They thought that the clone smoked noticeably better because it was genetically more mature. Could be something to it...

Will do! It's still in the planning phases. Gonna have a pow-wow with some comrades and get the strategy nailed down this weekend. I usually do things pretty intuitively but in this endeavor, I'm going to plan it out to the T.
    I've been doing a lot of reading on other people's grows to try and get the numbers right for maximums and minimums.
    For 12/12 from seed the I'm thinking 60days - 100days seed to harvest and 5 - 60 grams per plant but not more than 1 gram per Watt.
    I found this gov site for estimating energy use, really helpful!
    Energy Savers: Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
    I'm thinking of doing 480 Watts CFL, that only comes to about $50 of electricity for one harvest.
    Knowing that, I can look over old electricity bills and see if it's way out of the ordinary to have a $50 flux.

15. That sounds epic. Link?

16. Look at your energy bill and use this calculator. You need to know the price per kilowatt hour in your area. For myself its .11 cents. To run my 400w HPS light 24 hours a day costs 1.06.

Costs Calculator

17. Oh nice. I just used my pocket calculator. I didn't realize that electricity cost varied from state to state though. Turns out 100 days of 12/12 will only cost about $25. Sweet.

18. plants grown straight into 12/12 will not suffer in potency.
    here is a picture of a GC user (asked)'s white widow grown straight from 12/12
    [​IMG]
    it doesnt appear to be lacking in anything except size (however he states he yielded 30g off of this plant). now imagine the amount of these you could fit in the place of a plant that you veg'd for 30 days. basically, there is no shortage in yield. this is what many commercial indoor growers do to maximize yield and minimize the time taken to grow.

here is the link for the thread i pulled this from. many people have posted pics of plants grown from 12/12 on this thread.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/619985-post-your-coco-pics.html

i do utilize vegetative growth, because i like to keep as few plants as possible, however if i had no limit on number of plants i would probably grow only in 12/12.

19. Yea varies tremendously. I am .11 cents a KW hour..my poor grandma up on Conn has .22 cents. Her energy bills are enormous.

20. :eek: How can you even say that without seeing the EXACT SAME strain, grown using a 6 week veg next to that image you posted?????? :confused_2:

WITHOUT seeing SIDE BY SIDE comparison of two plants (one grown using the 12/12 method and the other using a 18/6 with a 6 weeks veg), how can ANYONE say they will grow and produce the exact same....

There is NO PROOF of that.....
    Show me proof, convince me, and I will go get a "Cup of STFU"!!

That's all I'm saying... ;)