1000w winter attic grow inputs from fellow blades

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 809king, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Ok. I'm thinking about starting a winter attic grow with no grow box. My question is; is the heat from the 1000 watter warm enough to keep my kids comfortable???? It's about 14'x14' and 7' tall. There's a window and I can bring a space heater up there.

2. #2 toastybiz, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    Uh....where are you? What kind of temps do you get in winter? Is the attic vented? Pretty hard to answer your question without knowing these things, no? ;)

Generally, though, you should expect temp problems with your plan. Lights don't evenly heat a space, they deliver intense radiant heat to object that get close direct light, and then if the surrounding area is cold that heat will dissipate quickly.

You want to maintain even temperatures, not have whatever temperature results from your light with whatever outside conditions are. Hit a cold snap and the light might not heat enough, hit a warm stretch and it could get too hot.

3. First of all gonna need some more information... :confused:

809king, your rough dimensions for your attic grow space in cubic feet are as follows:
    14'(w) x 14'(l)=196    196 x 7'(h)= 1372'    --------  You're looking at approximately 1372' cubic feet of grow space.

Now my questions:
    --Are you in an area where it is acceptable to grow medical marijuana? (Either way you should black out the window so there are no light leaks...its could bring some unwanted attention)

--Will you be supplying airflow from outside or within the house? Will airflow from the attic be expelled outside the house or back into the house?

--Is your house heated? What is the outside temp at the lowest point of night? Outside Temp of the day when the sun is highest in the sky?

--What is the temperature of the attic with the space heater? Without? (Keep in mind you will have to have that space heater running almost 24/7 depending on the temperature of the attic without the spaceheater) If the spaceheater over-heats, or just craps out from over use, your plants only have a limited amount of time before they begin dwindling away.

+++ I don't know if a 1000w HPS or MH will be enough to heat your space because I do not know how harsh the temperature is in the winter wherever you live...+++

Get back to me and I will gladly help my dood

Keep chill :smoke:

4. Massachusetts. It gets brick! (Colder then a mf) or (cold af if u will).
    The window will b blacked out. I can have air intake from said window and I can have air output into my house. Its a pretty big house (7bedroom). The house isn't fully heated ( it stays cold I need a sweater at all time). The attic temp seems to be the same temp as outsides temp I've only checked at night (wen the lights would b on).

5. This will b my 3rd grow btw

6. bump for some help?

7. Hmmm...It would help to know the exact temperature. I would hang a mercury thermometer from the attic wall since your gonna have to have some way of knowing the temperature for the grow anyways, especially in the climate you're working with.

Looked up average winter low temp. in Massachusetts and found it was somewhere around 0F  (-17.8C). That. is. cold. You're gonna have to keep the temperature at least somewhere between 72-86 F to have any kind of success without creating a bunch of problems down the road for yourself. Now it sounds like your gonna need 2 space heaters, maybe even 3; but then again its very hard to say because I live in california and i'm not familiar with low temperatures like that nor do I know how much heat a single space heater can provide to your size room.

If you wanna get a real answer, take a thermometer, stick it up in the attic and measure the temperature while you have your spaceheater and whatever else you need to heat up the space running. This will give you an idea of the temperature of your space that way you don't put a bunch plants into a freezing environment and have to watch the money you invested, die away. If you could do all that and adjust the temperature to somewhere consistently between 72-86F (somehwere in the middle is best) then you should be set my friend. Come back if you have any more questions. :smoke:

****By the way, I would not recommend having your intake airflow come from outside. It will take a alot of the heat out of your space and make a tough problem tougher. Having the intake air come from in the attic and have it expelled through a carbon filter out the window, that way it doesn't smell come flowering time.**** ;)