1000w SCROG

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Hydromike, Mar 15, 2011.

1. I am currently on day 40 of flowering in my NFT/DWC system with thirteen plants. I have had good results so far. I will be harvesting shortly and am already planning my next operation. My goal is to convert my current system into a SCROG instead of just letting them grow untrained due to my lack of height. I am using 4inch PVC pipe in 8 feet lengths. Water is pumped into one pipe and flows through them all and out the other end(32 feet channel of PVC). I have 30 spots for plants but would like to keep the number of plants around 6. The only real issue I have with this grow that I waited too long to induce flowering and they got a little too tall and I have to constantly tie them away from the light and a few have grown up so much more than the others that a few are crowded out. I hope with a SCROG I can get a more uniform look and a much cleaner canopy. I would also like to cut down a great deal of the excess vegetation.

Basic Info
    1000w Metal Halide
    20 gallon reservoir
    45 inches from PVC to Light(at the highest position)
    Ionic Growth,Bloom,Boost.

Strains
    Super Lemon Haze
    Sour Diesel
    NY City Diesel
    Brand X (Anyone Hear of This One? Got if from a friend. No clue what it is.)

Description of next crop
    My grow area is 4'x8'. I have one 1000w Metal Halide light. 2"x2" screen mounted 6-12 inches above PVC. If i mount it at 12 inches that would leave me roughly 33 inches from the screen to the light so would only be able to utilize 25-30 inches above the screen for cola growth. I have never done a SCROG but do have 5+ years experience in hydroponics. I will post pics of my current grow from oldest pic to the newest and will be doing an extensive journal of my future grow which should be starting around mid-April. My clones are already cut for my next grow.

Questions/Concerns
    Since this is my first time doing the SCROG method I definitely have a few questions. From researching online I find a lot of SCROG grows being used in small areas like in a box/refrigerator. I know SCROG can produce a lot of weight for the space but is this going to be a realistic setup for a 4'x8' area? Is 1000w MH enough? I will post pics of my current grow but will document my next grow op extensively. Myself and my Ladies would appreciate any input to our system for maximum output.

p.s. My photography skills will improve I promise. My camera does not like the 1000w light.

Attached Files:

2. Is there a reason that you are using Halide instead of HPS? Me personally for every Meter squared of grow area that you have I would have one plant under a screen that is 3'x3'. Then I would fill up that screen with every branch from that one plant. And If you get it into flower early enough height shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I plan on topping once while in veg and then pop it into flower when the plant gets around eighteen inches tall.

3. The reason I'm using a MH is because it was given to me. I would like to run both a MH and HPS at the same time through out each stage but am saving up for that. I have a 150w HPS but setting that up next to a 1000w MH would be pointless. I thought about topping but only if I get to the point they're growing out past the end of the screen. I have my clones rooting right now and will veg them for one to two weeks and flower. I want to choose 2 strains from the four I have, maybe sour desiel and lemon haze, instead of doing 4 strains again.

On my current grow I know they stretched about 16 inches after switching to flower.

4. I'm reaching closer than ever to harvest time but still about three weeks off. Got a few more pics to share. I only get to visit my grow once maybe twice a week and have someone else tending to it (topping off the water and adjusting PH). I was able to trim ALOT of the undergrowth and allow for more air flow. I tried to arrange the tops so they were even but damn a screen would make things so much easier. I cant wait until my next grow. It will be interesting to see how much i produce this time and how much i produce next time using the screen to help trail the plants. This time I have 12 plants, Next time I will have 6 and should come out with the same if not more weight in the end.

Attached Files:

5. I'm doing a 2x4 scrog right now if you wanna check my journal in my signature.

I also veg'd too long and now the canopy is a little crowded but I'm also in a growlab tent with ebb & flow table so I lose a lot of vertical room and makes for a tight stretch.

Unless you know your strains well enough to estimate the stretch so the screen fills up... but not too much, not too little.

I have 6 plants and it might have worked out better to have a lower screen and flip sooner. With a higher scrog it takes longer veg time to reach the screen and begin training horizontally. Or reduced my plants to 3 and have more space for them to fill out....I ran out of squares to fill and they reached the edge so now they're going UP!

a 1000w light might be able to cover a 4x8...although 2 would be better!

Let me know if you have any questions...I'm not pro but I can try to help.

6. I've been working with someone who has done a lot of guerrilla growing and not a lot of indoors. I cant be there all the time so my ladies take a toll. But the person I have maintaining the ph is doing a good job at that. I am using Ionic Nutrients. Are you (qnpq) growing hydro or soil? and if hydro what nuets? I only check my ph and do not have anything to test my E.C.. I want to get an E.C. meter but so far without one everythings awesome.

7. I'm running hydro ebb & flow 2' x 4' table with 20gal res. hydroton medium in 10" pots. General Hydroponic nutes: Flora Micro & Bloom, Liquid Koolbloom and also Hygrozyme. House & Garden's nutrient program goes by ml/gal instead of ppm/EC...I wanna try their line up sometime.

A scrog will need attention when training...after they're done stretching in flowering you don't have to do that much with them.

8. Few more pics here of the end of week 5. I've got a hand held microscope that goes to 60x magnification to check the trichomes' color. This is my first harvest with the microscope. Anyone else us this method? What do you look for?

Attached Files: