1000w MH/HPS or 900w LED for SCROG

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Toke N' Choke, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hey Guys,

I need your help. I'm starting a SCROG in a tent and I'm curious about the yields from both. I've read around the site and it seems like HPS would be better; I'd just like to confirm that this is still the case in a SCROG. I was hoping to use LEDS because of low heat/venting issues although the difference in cost of lights seems to be $400-$500ish for a 1000w MH/HPS and a 900w LED. let me know which you think would be best for SCROG.

Thanks!

2. #2 Guest, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    LED's are a lot easier to control stretching distances. You also wouldn't have to deal with buying/switching out bulbs every 3 grows and as you mentioned, LED's put out a fraction of the heat. LED's also cost a lot less to run power wise.

The advantage of HPS is penetration. LED's really only get a foot, foot and a half down.

3. Thanks for the info. I don't necessarily need a lot of penetration if since i'm growing them small. I guess I'll look at the Blackstar 900; thanks again I was ready to buy a 1000w hps w/ aircooled hood.

4. I watched a utube vid I cant find now where a guy had bought thousands of dollars of LED lights..

He had like 20 of them.

He swears they are ok for veg but shit for budding.

Plus now you can buy 1000w HPS bulbs with blue spectum in them.

What I use,and consider the best is the Ushio 1000w opti/red super HPS..It has maximum output of red,and blue spectrums 146,000 lumens.Thats brighter then most 1000w HPS bulbs.Theres a few out there with 150k and 155k lumens,but I dont think they have the maximum in both spectrums.

GL

5. I appreciate your input, thanks bro. Yeah I'm still trying to research, but the 1000w looks promising w/ a dimmer. Now I just need to dump these blackstars. I got them craigslisted already.