1000W HPS first grow. Do i need a cooled hood?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by inventorz, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hello, I dont have a reflector or hood for my Bulb. I live in guatemala and availability is limited.
    Alot of people seem to say that a hood with an exaust is necessary to grow with a 1000w HPS. Can i just put a fan on the bulb its sef?
    Please include any advice on how to build a DIY ventilating hood, because that is probably what i am going to do. Thanks!

2. I wouldn't DIY a 1000 watt hood... seems to be asking for a fire. Those mugs get intensely hot. If you have a big enough space you should be able to get away with just hanging the bulb. Of course you wont be getting as much light as you could, although it will still do a fine job. Look into a Yield Master II hood, and try and get the 6" or 8" version to optimize cooling. It'll let you get that bulb so much closer....

3. Yeah, that is really what i think ill be loosing out big time with: getting the bulb as close to the plants as possible and have them be comfortable.

There are really good tin smiths here, so i might give them a design and get them to make it for me, the only thing is that i dont think Tin is the best metal to make a reflector out of. I have been looking for some of that textured popcorn aluminum, but have not come up with any. Thanks for the recommendation on the hood!

4. def gonna wanna cool that bulb in some way. try lookin up DIY cooltubes.

or just buy ur hood online. hoods are not illegal.

who the fuck sells a lamp, ballast and bulb with no reflector or hood? shoulda came with at least a bat-wing. dont forget you need fans to move air thru that hood when you do get it.