1000W Digital Ballast Interference

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Bobs16, Apr 10, 2012.

1. So I got a call from charter my cable provider stating a lot of line noise is coming from my house that is causing everyone's modem to disconnect in my neighborhood. He asked if anything has changed and I said no. So they need to come check the house to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. After hanging up I remembered I recently threw in a new 1000 Watt Digital Ballast and did not start running it at 100% until around the time he stated this started happening.

So my question is does anybody know for a fact if a 1000W digital ballast can cause line noise through cable.

2. Really mod you move this? Now I remember why I stopped posting here.

3. yeh it can...I think you can get something called a ferrod clamp or faraday clamp...something like that...and it's supposed to filter out the 'noise'.

digital ballasts are supposed to be all shielded from this 'noise' (at least the companies tell us so. what brand is yours?

They can also screw up radio reception too....try plugging a stereo in and see if you get interference. Not sure exactally how that works..I've heard that if the stereo is plugged into the same socket it can cause alot of interference...but I think the interference comes through the air too?

let us know what happens..I'm running a pair of digi's myself and I've always worried about this.

*this get moved here? should be in growroom lighting I would think...

4. It definitely could, depending on its location in proximity to the cable lines. It's all electricity and it all creates electromagnetic fields that can interact. The more electricity, the more interference.

It's up to you whether you want to push it, personally when they said they need to check my house I would've probably refused and recommended that they put something just outside my house to clean up the line (such as the ferrite beads or ferrite clamps that Bongsauce mentioned, if it's really bad they have electronic devices that can be used to receive the dirty signal and retransmit a clean one).

5. This post belongs in the "Security" section. This is fucking important!!

This guy hit the nail on the head. It is an excellent thread.

Folx: a malfunctioning digital ballast (especially 2-3 togehter) can get your indoor downlow gro busted, so pay attention ....

Look:
    Radio Frequency Interference and Electro-Magnetic Interference

• With ballasts that operate at considerably higher frequencies than standard ballasts, the possibility of getting interference problems within communications systems prompts manufacturers to issue disclaimers on their products.
      Although the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has established an acceptable level for many class A operations, the risks of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) may still cause problems in many workplaces, especially if the cabling is unshielded

Read more: Ballast Specifications | eHow.com Ballast Specifications | eHow.com

With all the junk and used HID kits floating around now - sooner or later the poli are going to figure out how to tune their car radios to the frequency of malfunctioning digital ballasts.

If Johnny J. Lawmann ever figures out how to do that .... (EEK!)

To me the scary things is: just how the fukk am I supposed to know if my digital ballast is transmitting radio signals???? How do I check it?

6. [quote name='"Bongsauce"']yeh it can...I think you can get something called a ferrod clamp or faraday clamp...something like that...and it's supposed to filter out the 'noise'.

digital ballasts are supposed to be all shielded from this 'noise' (at least the companies tell us so. what brand is yours?

They can also screw up radio reception too....try plugging a stereo in and see if you get interference. Not sure exactally how that works..I've heard that if the stereo is plugged into the same socket it can cause alot of interference...but I think the interference comes through the air too?

let us know what happens..I'm running a pair of digi's myself and I've always worried about this.

*this get moved here? should be in growroom lighting I would think...[/quote]
    It's a ferrite clamp and you can find them pretty cheap.