1000w 5x5 tent 600w 3x3 tent

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jimmyd, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Ok ive got a question for the community! Ive got 2 tents a 5x5 and a 3x3. Ive got a 1000w in the big tent and a digi 600w in the small tent. both are 6.5 feet tall. Ive got 15 plants i started from seed. 5 in the 3x3 and 10 in the 5x5. im 3 days into flower and they are in promix in 2 gallon pots.they are all around 24 inches tall. i wanted to transplant to 5 gallon pots but due to having to leave town for work i didnt have time and made the choice to flip em. I had read lots of posts online about pot size to plant size and got mixed reviews. ive allways gone with a gallon per foot, but some say its bullshit. Anyways just wondering what the community thinks about this. what is the general consences on what the outcome will be with these pants flowering out in small pots?

2. I usually use 3g pots and they work really well, and my plants usually grow 2-4 ft. 2g pots prob won't make too much of a difference.

However, some people say that if a plant has too much room for the roots to grow, the plant focuses on root growth instead of leaf/bud growth. So sometimes it can be good for roots to feel a little bound.

3. thats what i want to hear!! thanks bro. My thoughts are a big part of growing is trying new things. if it doesnt work out then i wont do it again! i had one male out of 16 plants so when i pulled him i pulled him out of the pot to see what the roots were doing and they were lots of roots wrapping around the pot. A nice big strong white root ball. So we will see. but I think it will be fine. Thanks for your input dude

4. Jimmy, what temp and humidity do you keep your 5x5 at, do you use co2.

5. nope, i dont use co2. never bothered with a humidity meter, but my temps are a high of 78 lights on and 65 lights off. i run a 1000w cool tube with a 6 inch can fan on one end and a can 33 carbon filter on the other end. with ducting inbetween both, fan runs 24/7 while flowering.

6. Jimmy, do you get dense buds with this setup minus the Co2? Got the same setup only with the Co2, and am thinking about losing the co2 in place of running the fan 24/7. Read somewhere that unless you got 60 watts per sq foot co2 isn't useful. With a 25 sq foot tent its only seeing 40 watts per sq foot with the 1000k watt. Temps are 82f with 70% humidity and would like to drop to around 74-78f.

7. ya my buds are awesome! never any issues. They are allways nice and dense. Its a very simple setup

8. Sounds good man, can you take some pics? I'm thinking of doing something similar, a little smaller. Did you build a box, or buy a tent? I was planning on building a 6 x 3 x 7 1/2 box with 2x4s and wrapping it with mylar. I only have 600 watts of light, so maybe that's too much space? If that's the case than I'm thinking a 4 x 3 x 7 1/2 box for flower and a 2 x 3 x 7 1/2 for mothers/clones. Need to get myself another light for veg though; do you have any suggestions? Either way I'd like to see your set-up and the ladies, if possible.

9. No I bought a tent. there both tents actually. i priced it out to build and Tents are the way to go for sure. The mylar will be 100 bucks and the 2x4s and everything else will be at least a 100 bucks. then there is all the time and labour. the tents are in the range of 250-350 and you can set them up in 10 minutes and take them down in 5. they last for along time if you take care of them. and if you build a box how long will it take to tear it down? and when you do take it down you will ruin the mylar. So all in all the tent is the way to go. dont waste your time or money and get one!!! I will post some pics soon! If i was you i would buy a 3x3 tent like mine for your 600w to flower in. And then buy a mother keeper setup from htg supply for 300 bucks. and your done!

10. #10 MrSpliffy, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
    Damn... Haha, I figured that'd be better. Yeah your right; I already bought the damn mylar though, about 120 from Amazon. I'll see if I can return it, not to sure how I do that though. . . a 3 x 3? I was thinking something a little bigger, just like a 4 x 3. Would it be more efficient to use a 3 x 3, or can I go a little bigger? A 600w in 3 x 3 gives me 66.66w a sq. ft. and 50w a sq. ft. in a 4 x 3. I have to amazon my supplies, I'm not near any grow shops. Sucks.

What do you think about something like this? [ame]http://www.amazon.com/LED-Wholesalers-GYO1008-Reflective-Hydroponic/dp/B002V9PBXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321894556&sr=8-1[/ame]

11. Ya man it looks great. 4x4 is a good size for a 600w. and the price is right. Just make sure you use a good carbon filter and an air cooled shade. And I see lots of guys setting these tents up wrong so make sure you keep it simple. Use 1 light, 1 filter and 1 fan.. Connect your carbon filter to the air cooled shade and on the other end hook up your ducting to your fan. and run that fan 24/7 when your flowering. super easy!

12. Yeah those are good tents, I bought the same brand from amazon just a little smaller for a 400 watt but had a few nice grows in it and no complaints heads up it shipped in its own box which is clearly labeled so if discretion is an issue be careful and be safe.

13. #13 MrSpliffy, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. Stealth is KEY; I think Amazon will cover it up (or something) if I choose it TO BE A GIFT? Thanks for that, I think I've settled for the 3 x 3 though, under 100 bucks. I won't be able to fit a 4 x 4 in my room, if I want my door to open all the way. Not like if I built it. But considering what Jimmy said, I do feel the tents to be more convenient, atleast with my current living arrangements. I'd like to have a bigger flower tent then veg, but I guess 2 3 x 3s will have to do. If everything goes as planned, I should be starting my first grow journal soon.

14. Awesome! You will love the tents man. I used to use the 3x3 to veg and the 5x5 to flower but now I flower in both. Threw a digi 600w in the 3x3 and I'm super happy with it. And I rock the 1000watter in the 5x5. Gunna buy another tent for veg and put a 6 bulb t5 in er!! I'm also throwing around the idea of buying a 10x10 tent and running 4 600w digis. Getting rid of my 1000w and running all 600s in the 3 tents. I guess you can say I'm crazy for 600s and tents. They just go together so well!!

15. [quote name='"jimmyd"']Awesome! You will love the tents man. I used to use the 3x3 to veg and the 5x5 to flower but now I flower in both. Threw a digi 600w in the 3x3 and I'm super happy with it. And I rock the 1000watter in the 5x5. Gunna buy another tent for veg and put a 6 bulb t5 in er!! I'm also throwing around the idea of buying a 10x10 tent and running 4 600w digis. Getting rid of my 1000w and running all 600s in the 3 tents. I guess you can say I'm crazy for 600s and tents. They just go together so well!![/quote]

We use tents too and love them.
    8x8 with 6 blockbuster air cooled with 600 watt digital hps and some side lighting.
    4x4 with blockbuster air cooled with 600 watt digital hps.
    4x4 with blockbuster air cooled with 600 watt dig hps and side lighting.
    4x2 clone lab with 8 bulb 4 foot t5
    4x2 clone lab with 8 bulb 4 foot VHO T5

Plus a 4x4 we dry in.

Plan on adding another 8x8 soon and getting 6 flip boxes for the lights as well as 6 reflectors and bulbs so I can run another 8x8 when the 1st one is in its dark cycle.

600 are the best light to use.

SignSmoker

16. Damn, and to think I was nervous about my little closet. . . I wish I was able to do something on that level. All I can afford to mess with is a 6 x 6 x 8 closet, atleast for right now. I'd love to see the ladies are and how you two have your shit set-up, real curious. I'm thinking when everything's said and done, my closet will have a 3 x 3 for flowering, a 3 x 3 for mothers and clones. And a manicuring station, I hope to build something similar to the trim tray. I was thinking 2 x 4s and nylon. But it might be better to just go ahead and buy the TT, like $200. . .

17. [quote name='"MrSpliffy"']Damn, and to think I was nervous about my little closet. . . I wish I was able to do something on that level. All I can afford to mess with is a 6 x 6 x 8 closet, atleast for right now. I'd love to see the ladies are and how you two have your shit set-up, real curious. I'm thinking when everything's said and done, my closet will have a 3 x 3 for flowering, a 3 x 3 for mothers and clones. And a manicuring station, I hope to build something similar to the trim tray. I was thinking 2 x 4s and nylon. But it might be better to just go ahead and buy the TT, like $200. . .[/quote]

We are a medical grow, so we don't have to worry as much as some people do.
    We use the trim pro for trimming....saves a TON of time and it does a great job trimming.

SignSmoker

18. #18 MrSpliffy, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
    Cool, sounds good. Sounds like your living out a fantasy of mine. I'm happy for you, maybe one day I'll move to where I can do something like that. But untill then, it's just me and my closet. The TrimPro looks awesome, I don't feel I'd need something that big for my op. I can only fit 9 5gal. buckets in my tent, probably only going to have a couple 3gals. though. But I've never had to trim, so I don't know, we'll see.

19. [quote name='"MrSpliffy"']Cool, sounds good. Sounds like your living out a fantasy of mine. I'm happy for you, maybe one day I'll move to where I can do something like that. But untill then, it's just me and my closet. The TrimPro looks awesome, I don't feel I'd need something that big for my op. I can only fit 9 5gal. buckets in my tent, probably only going to have a couple 3gals. though. But I've never had to trim, so I don't know, we'll see.[/quote]

Sorry..ment the spin pro....cost about $475 and is about the best thing for harvest.
    We do harvests of 6 plants every 2 weeks....if we hand trimmed those 6 plants, we would be there for 30 hours trimming.
    Or use the spin pro and be done in 2 hours or so.

3 gallon pot/buckets work well.
    If your going to veg for more then 4 weeks I would use a 5 gal.

What strain(s) are you growing?

SignSmoker

20. Not sure of the stain. Got a pill case full of seeds from my buddy. Turns out there fem seeds so thats deadly. He grew a monster outdoor plant of the same shit that turned out dank and grew a couple outside that were amazing aswell. Couldnt get my hands on cloned so I said fuck it and cracked some beans!