1000 watt MH flowering Bulb?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by roofies, Dec 20, 2010.

1. I have bought a 1000w ballast and found out it was an 'Mh only ballast". I have never even dealt with these lights so I was wondering if someone could recomend a 1000watt MH Flowering Bulb to me....

I have looked into 1000w MH HPS conversion bulb but im a little nervous.

Would love some help!

Thanks and happy grows to all

2. MH lights are only good for the veg state you gotta get an HPS for flowering man

3. yes but cant I get a convesion bulb? I cant seem to find one the converts an HPS bulb to an MH ballast though....There has got to be one out there. Ill give rep to anyone who finds one...and ill do dirty things to them if theyd like...PLEASE HALP!

4. try typing " hps-mh conversion bulbs" in like any search bar in the history of the internet.

heres one i found in literally 17 seconds

Discount Hydroponics - Hortilux HPS Conversion Bulbs

not a clue if its a good retailer or not just saying i found it

can i do dirty things to you instead? cuz id really love to jam some furniture in your ass

5. first you want mh to hps. not hps to mh, since your ballast is mh.
    second, they are everywhere, like best kept said, about 17 seconds of searching and you would have found one. they are alot more expensive bulbs. i know a 400w mh to hps bulb runs about $130 at my local hydro store. the hydro farms catalog has about 2 pages of them.

6. Your ballast is only used for mh bulb?Now most of the ballast can be used for both hps and mh bulb.Maybe you can choose that kind of ballast.

7. Not true at all. MH lights are available from 2K to 20K temps. Lighting technology has evolved since 1980. I stopped using HPS almost a year ago, and I have no intention of using them again.

8. a mh bulb gives you the most natural light for growing can you use it to flower Hell yes you can Why you might ask well the girls we like to grow flower mostly due to photoperiod now your buds might not be as dense and more leafy but it will work just fine remember MJ is called weed for a reason it really wants to grow and in time you will dial it in

9. absolutely false! you CANNOT mix a mh bulb with hps ballast, and vice vera. you will ruin them! there is a reason they sell the conversation bulbs!

10. jan was thinking about a switchable ballast which but the OP doesnt have one of those.

11. a switchable ballast, yes. but not "most" as he said. "most" ballasts are either one or the other

12. Those sun pulse MH bulbs look pretty interesting. I wonder how true it's claims are that they outperform HPS ? :/

13. Very true. They are the reason my perfectly good, some unused, HPS lights from various brands will not see use again. I use the entire line.

14. i have a very hard time believing mh will outperform hps in flowering. its just pure science. mh=blue spectum hps=red spectrum. now its a scientific FACT plants perform better with red in flower and blue in veg. im not saying it isnt possible,but not good. i would really like someone here to prove that these mh work better as we all (well most of us) know hps is a much better way to go.

15. does anyone do any research other than "oh some newbs have repeated what some dude said a meeelion times over, so ima pimp HPS"

A ceramic metal halide at 3000k will emit a range of light, rather than one single colour temperature...

not to mention beneficial UV rays that are emitted.

if you do some solid research you will discover this for yourself, everyone is too quick to say HPS because some other guy did ;)

16. and what might that range of light be? got a spectrum chart on that bulb? not just a newb repeating shit, ive actually done the research. looked at spectrum charts of many bulbs, and know how photosynthesis and plant cellular structures work.

17. #18 METAL, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  18. I can relate to your doubt and yes, typical HPS put out about 2200k (very red) and MH about 4000k-6400k (blue) but the SunPulse 3000k is quite red with a larger range of spectrum. I've been a solid HPS user for over a decade and have been drawn to these lamps for their spectral variety.

Taken from SunPulse's website:

"an HPS lamp is approx. 2.2K,( or 22% of the Sun) and has a narrow band of light. Red light also has the least amount of energy of all the colors of the spectrum; you couldn't light a solar panel with HPS light. Why pay money to make light that has the least amount of energy?"

19. so with that sunpulse, you could use it for flower and veg?