1000 watt metal halides

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Faded 206, Sep 28, 2005.

1. I just got an offer from a homie for some 1000 watt metal halide lights and I was wondering if they are good lights and if they are then could they support 4 plants? Thanks.

2. 1000w MH, damnnnnnnnn. Dude thats gonna be a freaking hot hot hot ass light bulb, and yes it will take 4 plants easy. You better come correct with your ventilation and temperature control with that shit.

3. but you're going to have a LOT of weed.

4. HIGH All, just what GooDgUyThaTgUy said...make sure you have good ventilation..it's growing to get Hot in there.

5. yes i got a 1000MH and that thing is bright and hot. easily 10 plants x 3gal pots

6. Hey thanks. I heard that MH lights are only good for vegetative growth and not budding. Also, how should I set up a ventilation system? It will be in a room thats maybe 8 feet wide, 5 feet long, and maybe 8 feet tall. Any suggeations would be helpful. Thanks.

7. You heard right, MH lights are really only useful for vegging, not flowering. I dont know what kind of deal you're getting on that light but you can buy a two in one light system that supports MH(MH for vegging) and HPS (HPS for flowering) like this one here...

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/product_info.php?cPath=304_57&products_id=208

...which would cover all your lighting needs for vegging and flowering. With 1000w you should be able to grow about six plants or so. For ventilation if the room has a vent than all you really have to do if put a nice sized fan blowing into or toward it. Also put a fan blowing on the light system directly to keep it cool and one more fan to blow on all the plants. Actually I think the ballast gets hot too, if thats the case try to place the ballast like right in front of the fan thats blowing on all the plants. Thats alot of space you have in that room, if you really wanted to utilize the whole area you'd probly be better off with two or three 400w systems like...

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/product_info.php?cPath=304_57&products_id=745

...and spread them evenly throughout the space. With a set up like that you could probly grow like 20 plus plants or something like that. If I'm wrong someone correct me. If you have any other questions just post em'.

8. From what I understand; is that MH used for flowering will promote smaller tighter compact buds. While HPS will make the flowers a bit fluffy. Though IMO the strain plays the biggets role.

9. Sweet! Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna start working on the ventilation and I'm gonna order a HPS light that works in a MH ballast for flowering too. I'm gonna shoot for 6 plants so I hope all goes well. This is my first time growing indoors so any suggestions are helpful. Peace.

10. I hope your electricity is cheap :p Adding another kilowatt would be like 5 full size fridges... for me that would be around $100/mo.... damn rip off energy prices.