1000 watt HPS too much???

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by andrew256, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Would 1000 watts of HPS be too much for a 6X6 room, even with an air-cooled hood?

2. if u can keep it cool you can never have too much light

3. Well Im no expert, and ive never ran a 1000 watt HID, but your probably fine. Just as long as you have good circulation and real good ventilation. And i guess it depends if this is a closet in a bedroom or something. I think i would readily put a 1000 watt in my 5.5x5.5 spot, but its all concrete and I've got a mean sucking machine. But again, I'm no expert and I've never run a 1000 watt before.:smoking:

4. Just vent it well and you'll be fine with a thousand watter......

5. i have a 1kw vented. the thing gets HOT!!!

plan on getting an air conditioner if your ambient temp is over 75.

6. Bout right...unless you somehow mount the ballast outside the grow room...then just fan hooked up from the range to the exhaust

7. the 1k light would be perfect unless heat is a problem. if it is a problem you could use a 600 watt plus sides of this is you can have a better temp and get the light 12 inches closer....

8. nott true. I ran a vented 1000watt in a 2' x 4' closet. It burnt all the seedlings after 5 days. Leaves burned and died. Temps wern't a problem.

How close do you guys your lights?

9. A 1000w lamp should be around 30" from a fairly mature and strong plant, for a seedling it should be more like 50". The penetration is good and you'll have plenty of lumens all the way to the floor even if the lamp is 7 feet up.

10. That's a LOT of light. You'll be getting some fat, tight nugs with that, provided you ventilate it well. Just mke sure if it's warmer than the outside air it's not blowing out anywhere where it might arouse suspicion ie: a big cloud of fog coming from your toolshed or something.

Also, I think 1k is overkillm, both in the energy sense and lighting sense for young seedlings. At what point are you planning putting this on the plant(s)?

11. idk yet, right now its off. Currently running 4 65watt cfl. 260watts total. My 1ker runs 110,000 lumen in 8 square feet.Peep my thread. http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-pla...-unhealthy-plants-help-me-too-much-light.html

Wikipedia

• Overcast day = 1,000Lux
    • Full daylight (not direct sun) = 10,000-25,000Lux
    • Direct Sunlight = 32,000-130,000Lux
    They say:
    Space Size - 1 square meter
    X
    Intensity - 1,000 Lumens
    = 1,000 Lux
    My Setup:

Space Size - .74 square meters
    X