100 watt hps????

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gb420guy, Oct 15, 2006.

1. i had read on a post in GC that someone was using 100 watt hps bulbs in "normal lamps"

is this true? can hps bulbs be run from normal household lamps?

i thought they all had specific ballasts they need for different sizes?

please anyone that may know the answer.............i would love to switch from cfl's to hps but cost is a huge issue............

so can small hps bulbs (70-100 watt) be used in a normal lamp...........or was that guy full of shit.?

my head hurts........time fro some medicine...;) ..........>..............later:smoking:

2. High guy! [​IMG]Never heard of it. Im pretty sure there needs to be a ballast somewhere. Maybe the bulb itself had a ballast built in, much like the cfls. Or maybe me ment to say "regular lamp outlet " and not socket. Or ...he could just be full of shit. either way, Ive never heard of it and I do alot of shopping around and questioning about lighting alternatives and things. Hope that helps some and peace, TBug

3. The small HPS bulbs will actually plug into regular sockets (they are the same size), but they will not run. T.Bug is right, they take a special ballast to make them run. He might have taken apart one of the tiny ballasts and wired it up himself. I use a horizontal ballast for my mommies that is running a 150HPS. It is nothing fancy and it is in my bedroom. :) So you can do it, and the cost of the little lights is almost zero. The big lights are where you run into some money.