100% DIY Cab for mother and clones

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by lbk, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I'm in the process of building a second grow box so I can do a micro sea of green.

Every part of this box will be 100% from scratch

The lights:
    2x24w PL-L ballast, 6500k and 3000k bulbs and sockets, aluminum reflectors

The exhaust:
    2x80mm PC fans

The cab itself:
    1/4" ply
    2x2 stakes (these had to be straight as an arrow, so they were rather expensive
    3/8" Glass sheet to separate the light chamber from the grow chamber

The picture says a thousand words, but in essence the twin-chamber design allows for effective heat removal and doubles as a light trap. The grow chamber also will have a false floor to trap light. This is mega stealth aside from its appearance, but its small footprint allows it to go just about anywhere.

I'll post more details and specific dimensions later, but hoping to guage interest and get some feedback from GC on this design. The finished product is but a few days away.

Attached Files:

2. Bump.

Here's the basic frame of the box just waiting on a few parts in the mail.

Attached Files:

3. Thursday bump!

Anyone think a 2x24w PL-L ballast will be hot enough to necessitate mounting it outside the box?

4. No you should be good

I'm not sure I saw this right on your blueprint but the intake should be on the bottom and exhaust on top above that glass

Great idea with the glass though kinda making it a hood but you have to get the hear out of the top

Sent from iPhone 5

5. Look again. These chambers are isolated from one another except by the area above the glass. This means that though the fans are low (for stealth reasons) they are in effect pulling air straight from the light area, which pulls from the grow area, which pulls from the intake. Negative pressure exists. Check out these pics of the real thing. They're on page two of the grow in my signature.

Thanks for the input.

6. What's the CFM on your PC fan? The only concern I have is that It might be a little low for that area.
    (you're probably good)

Looks pretty good. Consider a carbon filter if you need stealth.

7. I knew a guy who used a cone air filter for a car like from auto zone it worked good for a small operation such as this

Sent from iPhone 5

8. Pc fans at 2x35cfm, and the temps run low 70s with a single PL-L 24w and the ballast inside. I have parts for a DIY 2x24w and will remote the ballast. I don't see this box ever running more than 5 degrees above ambient. The lights are essentially air cooled.

9. And for filter, not needed. I've grown a few now and the only time smell ever came about on my last grow was mid flower and on. The vegging plant just didn't smell enough to justify choking my exhaust. Same story here. But the possibility is there if I have to. Remember this chamber is for 1-2 moms and about 4 clones at a time. Should not smell, at least not of obvious cannabis.

10. Sounds good. The only thing I can suggest is some mylar or aluminum for the walls

11. Flat white paint won't do? I tried Mylar once and it made my other box 100f. White paint same day: 81f