100% cloning success rate guarenteed.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Aerogrowhoe, Apr 15, 2006.

1. :hello: :hello: For all of you who have trouble cloning, or just don't want to invest in an expensive machine, I have the one technique that is easy and will give 100% results.

First, I am new to GC so please reply to this thread so I can get feedback. (I posted a previous thread which received no replys) I have been studying horniculture for a few years and this seems to be the only technique, that if performed correctly will give 100% success rate

Now for the good stuff.

Supplies:
    exacto knife
    rockwool cubes
    tin foil
    rooting conpound
    distilled water

This technique is simple and straight forward, 1. find a mother plant, locate the branches you wish to clone. 2. take the exacto knife, and let me stress DO NOT SEVER THE BRANCH! scrape the outside skin off of the branch (This section should be approximately 1 inch long) 3. take rooting compound and cover newly exposed area 4. cut a rockwool cube in half (or to a size that the branch can support) 5. next take the 2 rockwool pieces and sandwitch the exposed section.6. take a small piece of tin foil (or other material that blocks light and holds shape well) and wrap it around the two halfs of rockwool, making sure that the rockwool is covered so no light can penetrate. (Also make sure there is a small gap at the top of the the tin foil so water can enter) 7.water at the top of the tin foil frequently to make sure the rockwool is always mois. 8. wait 9. it should take between 1 to two weeks to have roots, so wait at least one week before you remove tinfoil to check for roots. 10. once you have roots, simply cut the branch off just below the rockwool and transplant.

This technique removes all stress from cuttings and can be done under MH or HPS without putting clones in seperate room or under seperate light.

2. you are saying to clone them... AND ROOT the clones while keeping them on the momma plant? what?..ok. lets see pics!

3. Well i'm impressed, i have heard of something like this but not done on pot plants. I would like a pic too. Thanks Trilby:)

4. Yeah, that sounds like it could work.

However, if you need a large # of clones, do you think you'd want Rockwool cubes hangin all over your mother? :confused_2:

5. if that works, then I'm definitely going to try it. it makes sense. less stress = higher success rate. didn't know that it would still root like that, but I don't see why it wouldn't either... nice.

6. Never heard of this before, very creative.

Cloning sucess is a trouple for many out there, or so I hear. Hopefully this can redirect people in the right direction.

K+ for creativity.

THC101

7. This will work. It also works great for cloning a branch off of citrus trees.

8. This months CC mag has a great article on cloning its a complete runthrough on the process/supplies needed!

9. I haven't heard of anyone actually doing this, so i'm going to try it out. I've followed the above instructions. I'll keep notes and a few pics to let you all know on my success rate. I'm working on my first indoor grow and i finally got the bugs ( not the real ones Thank God !) worked out with temp, circulation ect.... thanks to everyone on the site that has posted really usefull info. My plants aren't that pretty. they had alot of trauma in thier early weeks but they got some get up and go. My humidity is low i feel at 40 % and that's pushing it. I got a humidiifer but not sure if i should go ahead and use it off and on during the day. I can keep consistant room conditions in the dry enviroment without adding anything. I'm concerned about having too high humidity then low then high all day long. I can't really controll it that well and i don't want to mess my plants up. I just got them back on track. I heard that humidity in veg stage is really important and dryer during the bud stage is better for lots of resin. Can i grow in this low humidity conditions through the plants life ? the humidity does raise after watering to 43% but goes down to 36 % Any ideas ? Thanks Trilby

10. why not post up the article?

11. that level of humidity should be just fine.

12. Thanks for the quick reply up4anything, I must have zoned out while working in my room.....I got a humidifier going and i was standing back taking a good look at the whole set up and having a toke..... I was mezmerized by the steam put out by the humidifier couldn't stop watching it.......... in the mean time the digi reader told me that i was there long enough to put the humidity up to 47 %. I un plugged the thing. Do you think i could give the plants some humidity in the room for a couple of hours a day ??. ( I hope i won't be there watching the steam for that long but of course i will ...he he :smoking: )
    The rooting expiriment is all good. The tinfoil was a little tricky to fit around tight enough to hold some water in the rockwool without strangeling the plant. I'll get some pics ready and i'll repost the expiriment. Is there anyone eles interested in this ?
    Trilby

13. I don't think your tinfoil needs to be tight around it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's helping the clone take root by just blocking out the intense sunlight & also keeping the rockwool cube warm. I'm interested in it. When my plants get bigger I'm probably going to try taking some clones this way.

14. This sounds great. I have a question about the rockwool.

Is rockwool only for hydro systems, or can it be used for soil grow too?

15. post some pics ! Sounds good though.

16. I use this method, it is call air layering... Just some pointers. Don't use RW use jiffy-7 peat pellets. Much faster rooting. Just moisten as usual then cut from center down one side of the pellet and wrap this around your exposed stem area. Take a baggie and poke some small holes in it and wrap this around your peat pellet and tie it off at the top and bottom. this will keep moisture in but still allow an O2 exchange. You will see them busting out within the week. then carefully remove the cutting and plant. Xacto knives are the bomb for this. Just run a VERY SHALLOW cut around the stem and then another about 1/4" apart and connect the two with a SHALLOW slice and peal the thin outter layer of skin off. This allows your cutting to be fed by the mother. It prevents plant fluids from returning down the stem and this triggers the rooting process.

17. you can plant the rockwool in your soil, and the roots will continue to grow, going straight into the soil.

hmm... most people have said to stay away from those peat pellets for seedlings and cuttings. how much faster will they root than with rockwool? ...because I already have about 50 rockwool cubes that I could use...

also, the last few sentences you said are somewhat confusing. are you talking about scraping the outer layer of the stem off? if so, aren't you supposed to do that before planting your cutting?

18. In order to air layer you must remove the epidermis and the cortex down to the phleom. This is what prevents the fluids of the plant from returning down the stem as occures in normal photosythesis. By doing this your cutting continues to be fed by the mother yet still begins the rooting process. I also didn't mention before that I also add rootech to the exposed area. I've yet to have better success cloning in anything other than jiffy-7's. I've used RW, rapid rooters(Root same as jiffy's but cost more...), perlite, verm & perl 50/50, straight soil, bubble cloner, aerocloner... ect ect. And if you want success cloning, USE Jiffy-7's. Ofcourse most people don't take into account altitude and climate conditions effect things more than you would think. For instance if I were in FL rather than NY I would more likely use, and have better success with, another method. To each his own. I'm just speaking from PLEANTY of personal experience.

19. i got a 100% clonig rate as well. i bought a cloning machine and it works without much maintinence

20. Quick question about this technique: I would like to use this technique but am already in the 1st week of flowering. With 12/12 lighting will the roots still be able to grow?