Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

10 Things You Dont Know About Marijuana

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Dale.Gribble, Mar 2, 2009.

1. I have copied this information, so I am not in anyway taking any credit for this because I guarantee you most of you have seen/read this already. I found it pretty interesting though, so I thought I should share. Enjoy. :)

A dime bag's worth of other marijuana facts:
    1. In 19th century Nepal, the marijuana harvest was performed by men who ran naked through fields of flowering plants and then had the sticky resin scraped off their bodies and formed into bricks of hashish.

2. Marijuana is known for its mellowing effect, but it has fueled many warriors in history. The word “assassin” is believed to come from the hashish taken a millennium ago by Arab killers (called “hashshashin” or “hashish eaters”), though some historians doubt they were under the influence while on their missions. Mexican bandit Pancho Villa's henchmen were pot smokers. And some believe Zulu fighters in South Africa were high on Dagga-a.k.a. marijuana- when they attacked the Boers at Blood River in 1838. The Zulu lost 3,000 fighters, while only four Boers were wounded. Talk about a buzzkill.

[​IMG]

3. Louisa May Alcott, author of “Little Women,” wrote a short story called “Perilous Play” about marijuana. In it, a character declares, “If someone does not propose a new and interesting amusement, I shall die of ennui!” Another character produces a box of hashish-laced bonbons, and hedonism ensues.

[​IMG]

4. Around 1900, the U.S. government briefly grew marijuana along a stretch of the Potomac River to study the plant's medicinal value. Today, a more potent plant has risen on that site: the Pentagon.
    [​IMG]

5. A white Chicago jazz musician named Milton “Mezz” Mezzrow moved to Harlem in 1929, declared himself a “voluntary Negro,” and began selling marijuana. Known as “The Man Who Hipped the World” and “The Link Between the Races,” Mezzrow sold fat joints called mezzrolls. Soon a new piece of Harlem slang emerged: Something genuine was described as “mezz.”

[​IMG]

6. Marijuana interferes with short-term memory so that users forget what they just said or did. Not only that, marijuana interferes with short-term memory so that users forget what they just said or did.

7. Before Congress voted to ban marijuana in 1937, the birdseed industry got the bill amended to exempt marijuana seeds (known as hemp seeds) as long as they were sterilized and could not be used to grow plants. An industry spokesman denied that the seeds made birds high, but an ardent marijuana foe, Dr. Victor Robinson, had previously written that the seeds had caused birds to “dream of a happy birdland where there are no gilded cages, and where the men are gunless and the women hatless.”

8. Billy Carter, the late brother of former President Jimmy Carter, believed the illegality of marijuana was part of its attraction. “Marijuana is like Coors beer,” he said. “If you could buy the damn stuff at a Georgia filling station, you'd decide you wouldn't want it.”

[​IMG]

9. One of the least typical supporters of the decriminalization of marijuana was conservative icon William F. Buckley, who died in February. Buckley once sailed his yacht into international waters so that he could smoke pot without breaking U.S. laws.

[​IMG]

10. Bill Clinton said famously that he smoked marijuana but “didn't inhale.” President Bush has never admitted taking the drug, but his drug use was strongly suggested in recorded conversations between him and a friend - the interestingly named Doug Wead. Only one of the three 2008 contenders is an admitted ex-doper.

[​IMG]

Barack Obama has said, “When I was a kid, I inhaled frequently. That was the point.”

Haha, happy blazing GC :smoking:

2. Extremely skeptical on point 6, it's the only one on your list that is not a fact considering it's still under debate in scientific circles.

3. nice thread man +rep

4. Thanks for the feedback bro. :)

And to the reply above, yah well said, I'm skeptical of that one myself. Who hear has somewhat short term memory because of pot here?

5. i feel like that one was only there for comic effect. but you be skeptical :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Np, I think it's reasonable to assume that various strains will induce a larger effect in this regard, should it be the case.

Thanks for the post.

7. O-O the rolling eyes :)

8. Yeah no problem bro. Very true, I also think it depends on the user as well, especially if he/she has been smoking for over 5-10 years. :) But that's just my opinion. Enjoy the herb my friend. :smoking:

Happy toking GC.

9. I liked that list...thanks for posting it....and as for # 6...while some may not agree...i think it was put on the list for some comical purposes..I laughed pretty hard when i read it...HAPPY TOKING:D:wave:

10. I'm glad you liked it bro, no problem. It made me laugh also, but hey maybe it was. :smoking:

You too bro, just blaze.

11. i think they are talking about when you smoke it you get short term memory loss.. which is definitely the case

12. Haha, yea I love #6. But you guys really don't think bud affects your short term memory? I know my short term has definitely taken a hit, and I've only been smoking for 3-4 years. Obviously, I'm not completely shot, but I've noticed the effect on me.

13. Dude I was going to complain about a number...

hmmm...

14. How are people denying #6? Ive smoked with a couple newbies before who have literally been in the middle of a sentence and forgot what they were saying.

15. Seems like only when one has a low tolerance is when they would feel the short-term memory loss.

Personally I've found that with regular smoking the memory loss is lost.

16. I agree man. :smoking:

17. I've been smokeing about 5-6 years on and off. and ive never had a good short term memory. Smokeing really doesnt change that much. I do tend to not pay as much attention when im high which can look alot like short term memory loss and lazyness.
    oh and good research OP.

18. regarding #6..i feel that my short term memory is actually better...now if it refers to when you smoke very very few times iv'e had a problem with short term memory..mabye it differs from person to person..

19. ohh man, #1, they went in and lost 3000 men while high, and the enemy lost 3.

hasasaahahahah, Im never going to war HIGH again!

20. "And some believe Zulu fighters in South Africa were high on Dagga-a.k.a. marijuana- when they attacked the Boers at Blood River in 1838. The Zulu lost 3,000 fighters, while only four Boers were wounded. Talk about a buzzkill."

although the Zulu warriors of Africa are know smokers of the ganja, the Dagga you refer to is actualy an orange plant with to circle bulbs, the name wild dagga mean little marijuana in african, its is tottly legal and is an amazing plant, but is totaly diferent than marijuana