10 strains outdoors - Expert advice sought

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by youreAtowel, Jul 5, 2011.

1. After browsing several forums, I was inspired by the success that some growers can attain using purely organic methods, so that became my goal for my outdoor grow this year. I started by tilling an area about 20'x60' under an old tree stump (for more organic matter). Then I amended this soil using:

2 yds mushroom compost
    50 lbs bone meal
    50 lbs dried kelp
    ~30 lbs fine dolomite lime
    8 cf pearlite

I tilled the area extensively to make sure all these ingredients were well mixed and then dug 10 holes about 4'x4'x4'. I filled these holes with the amended topsoil. I later planted my 10 clones in these holes. Strains are: Grape Ape, Northern Lights, XJ 13, Blue Dream, Granddaddy Purp, Chem Dog, Super Silver Haze, Green Kandy, Kryptonite, White widow

I have been supplementing with an occasional top dressing of home made chicken manure and applying compost tea as a foliar spray about weekly. The plants got off to a great start, with the Blue Dream and Northern Lights approaching seven feet while still in a vegetative state.

Over the past several weeks, I have been noticing what looks something like a magnesium deficiency (my best guess using Cervantes' book). Some plants are affected worse than others but the symptoms include yellowing of some older leaves with a bit of brown crispiness. Also some of the smaller leaves near the tops have fingers that are folding up (hot dog style).

A deficiency doesn't make much sense to me considering the lime I added to the soil. I am wondering if these symptoms could be the result of a toxic mineral buildup due to the well water I have been using from the start? My well water has a ph of 6.6-6.8 and a ppm of 170-200.

I have the option of using ditch water that has a ph of 6.8-7.2 and a ppm of ~25. I didn't use this from the beginning because several months ago the ph measured close to 8.

Anyone have any ideas or input? I have no pictures posted because I'm unfamiliar with how to but I'm sure I could figure it out if need be.

Any and all feedback is appreciated