10,000 Pot Smokers Have Marijuana Smoke-Out While DEA Says No To Industrial Hemp

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Superjoint, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Anyone See The Irony Here?

You've probably read the story about an estimated 10,000 people gathered on the University of Colorado's Norlin Quadrangle Sunday, puffing joints till the air turned blue. University police stood by to maintain order, but no one was busted for smoking pot.

In the meantime, the DEA is staunchly defending its policy against American farmers legally growing industrial hemp, citing the law that says all hemp is marijuana.
    How's your war on drugs coming along, anyway, DEA? The sun is shining, and if you'd pull your heads out, you'd see it. Pot is here, lots of it available, if this number of people can show up and get loaded on just one day in one city and no one is arrested.
    Where did these pot-heads get their stuff, it surely didn't come out of a couple of bags, and there was apparently enough to go around to get some 10,000 heads high. How many more smoke-outs were held on April 20th, the annual, internationally recognized celebration of marijuana? How many tons of pot went puff?
    Now I'm not in favor of marijuana, primarily because of its affect on the lungs. Pot heads will tell you there's no danger, but the cigarette companies told us that decades ago, and a lot of us are dying of COPD everyday.

My point here is that while these young people are getting loaded on an illegal drug in public as cops stand by, two farmers in North Dakota are trying desperately to legally grow industrial hemp. Their fight is now in Federal Appeals Court, hoping to overturn a lower court's decision upholding the DEA's position.
    You can read more about the campaign to legalize industrial hemp cultivation in the U.S. at Vote Hemp.

Farmers in Vermont are ramping up their efforts to the the government to allow farmers there to grow hemp, and other states have passed, or are considering legislation to change the law.
    Currently before congress is H.R. 1009, (PDF) the “Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007″

Why have legal hemp? It's one of the most useful plants on earth. It's been cultivated for thousands of years and used for everything from food and medicine to clothing and automobile parts. It's grown legally in many countries, except in the US, so to take advantage of the many products made from hemp, we must import them.
    So what can we do to get the government to change it's position on hemp? Do you think it will ever change?

Source: Daily Camera

Photo: Kasia Broussalian

2. Things are gradually changing in regards to marijuana. Everybody just needs to spread the message of how great the cannabis plant is, and soon so many people will support it that the government will have no choice but to legalize it. I believe our greatest choice for legalizing marijuana is the cancer-curing hemp oil. If something has the potential to cure cancer, why the fuck is it not being utilized right now, as every day that goes by, thousands of people die, needlessly. It's horrible.

3. Great article, superjoint!!

I took a look at the DEA site to try to understand what they have against hemp, and this is what I found:
    Wow! That's a really ignorant thing to say. But that's straight from their site. Unbelievably, they tell legislators this stuff, who then go on to vote against legalization based solely on this blatant bs!! Good lord! :mad:

For three years the DEA even tried to ban our breakfast cereals and all other food items containing hemp. It's only because they failed that we can buy hemp cereal today: http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/hemp/deaban/

4. i work at a trader joes and they have help flakes there and it is soooo goood its not even funny

try this :

a little peanut butter on the bottom of a cereal bowl, with some chopped bananas, then honey bunches and oats over top, with a little more bananas, and then a little honey, and topped with hemp flakes. SHIT IS BOMB:hello:

5. ^^ that sounds good!! :yummy:

It's been 4 years since the DEA failed its attempt to make hemp foods illegal, and in that time society hasn't ground to a screeching halt.

I think that's clear evidence that the DEA's bans and prohibitions are total bs! Our country simply isn't going to fall to pieces when we legalize marijuana.

6. But god forbid we put prison guards out of a job... :p /endsarcasm.