1 Week Old Plants Top Heavy Help (pics)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PaulMitchle, Nov 5, 2010.

1. #1 PaulMitchle, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    I have 2 one week old plants, both of them each have their own 20 watt 2100 lumin cfl's. I have a fan pointed at their direction constantly, not to much wobble but a little. The plants are beginning to produce their 2nd pair of leaves and they are 4 and a half inches long. But every now and then when i spray them, the water makes them top heavy and they begin to lean close to the soil unless i give them support, until the next day i take the support off. But lately they just dont seem as strong. The question is, should i put more soil around the stems? Here are some pics. Advice is appreciated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. This is definately a bad case of the stretch meaning its streching itself upwards in search of more light.

I've been there myself (ended up with 1 healthy female out of countless seedlings) earlier in the year.

My fix was putting them outside. That may help if you have the right climate right now otherwise probably more or better lighting.

More experienced growers can help you out with any soil/watering problems that may be involved and I hope they do.

Us new growers need all the advice we can get!

3. heh well i hope i get some advice soon, they grow really fast....

4. My Advice, Dont spray the leafs. Try spraying the dirt only until they grow a lil bigger. You'll know when its ok to do so, when you see the stems get thicker after 2-3 weeks more. Just keep making sure you keep the soil is nice and moist like in the pics and they'll be fine. sweet sprouts. :smoke:

5. would it be possible to put more soil in around the stems without complication u think?

6. yeah you just didnt plant the sprout deep enough. i did the same thing. Just put more soil around the base. maybe like another inch or two. That will give it more stability and nutrients.

7. awsome dude, i will do it. but im concerned about stem rot

8. I do it all the time with my seedlings that stretch...add the soil up to the cotolyden leaves

9. #9 PaulMitchle, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    well i just got done adding more soil there is about a one and a half inch gap between the soil and the coto leaves u think its good? I would dig a hole a put them in deeper but i dont want to disturbe them any more then they have to be

10. yeah should be good now. Let 'er grow! :smoke: and light on the watering. it just takes time. (i drowned my first one).

11. how far away are the lights from the plant?

12. about 2 centimetors almost touching the bulb

13. you should be good to go now...all we have to do is sit back and listen to your updates...good luck!

14. well make sure its not to close now...

15. What you need is wind. When plants bend back and forth from a breeze blowing on them it makes the stem thicken up. A small fan or a breezy windowsill is needed. You see this lot in indoor but outside the natural wind takes care of it.

16. Exactly, some seedlings just stretch!

I have had ample light on my babies and still they reach for the sky for some reason. Easy enough to just bury them when re-planting.

Case in point: growing K-Train and Mataro Blue now, the K-Train stretched to the sky and the MB were short and stubby seedlings.

And the KT ended up being stringy plants and the MB were short and stocky throughout their life.

Just depends, looks like you had lights right on top of your babes :)

17. #17 PaulMitchle, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
    ok so i might of over watered one plant, the leaves are drooping and there is a discoloration on the cotolydyn leaves i hope it can pull through. ill take this as a heavy note to really go light on the watering. I had sand in my potting soil for irrigation purposes too. This may have occurred when i added more soil and watered the new layer. However the other plant looks very healthy. Maybe you guys know of a way i can help it out?

18. The best thing I could tell you is to get a small fan to strengthen up the stem, and put the lights a little closer so the plant doesnt try to stretch so much.